43 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Just had the devastating news that my application has been denied.  I had an rfe for a medical exam based on the fact that it was over a year since my last one in London.  I came here on a k1 visa.  The ground for denial is because I didn't have the hib and pneumococcal vaccines that are required.  The civil surgeon didn't even offer me these ones!  I had the MMR, hepatitis and flu.  I want aware that I had to have these ones.  Just don't know what to do now, any help would be appreciated.

Keith

I initially had an rfe for a medical which I did and sent them the letter.  But noone offered me the inoculations that they have denied me on. 

Don't know what to do now.

Well given that hib is only given to children (there is NO HIB vaccine approved for ADULTS) and also pneumoccocal is not age appropriate for those over 18 unless they have certain medical conditions, I'd try to involve your congressional representative and get this overturned. 

Here's CDC info for pneumococcal. Your doctor either didn't complete the vaccination sheet properly (not age appropriate column) or USCIS didn't pay attention to your age. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/hcp/who-when-to-vaccinate.html

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Self delete

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Just now, Timona said:

Well, get the medical done. Refile. I don't see how this can be solved another way

Umm, no. Adults don't need those and someone in USCIS didn't pay attention. Congressman or senator's immigration aide can get USCIS to reopen the case and process it properly vs. just denying it on bogus denial grounds. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

There was a change recently and Hep B is now required for adults.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/Vaccine-Requirements-According-to-Applicant-Age-p.pdf

17 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

There was a change recently and Hep B is now required for adults.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/Vaccine-Requirements-According-to-Applicant-Age-p.pdf

HEP B not the same as HIB.

And even per the spreadsheet you attached, neither HIB nor pneumococcal is required for the OP: 

vaccine requirements immigrants screenshot.gif

Edited by milimelo
added screenshot

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Thanks to all who have replied and provided information.  I have emailed my congress representative.  There is an option on the letter to file a I-290B if I think they have made an error, should I do this?

OP, do u still have the copy of medical? can you look what did the doctor fill up on the form?

if the doctor didnt fill it up properly or USCIS didnt pay attention, i will compose the letter, attached the copy of the vaccination sheet and send it to uscis. also u can also reach out to your congressperson to help to reopen the case

I don't have a copy of the medical, I assumed the doc new what she was doing and just sent the sealed envelope.  It seems that maybe she has filled it in incorrectly.  I did think about contacting the doctor but if the decision is final, I don't think that would be of any use.

All immigrant visas (including K-1 despite its quasi immigrant status) should get a copy of their medical plus vaccine sheet at interview for their own personal records. 

Try getting in touch with the doctor that did you medical overseas and see what they have. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

50 minutes ago, dundeehighlander said:

Hi Powerpuff, I did get the hep b vaccination 

44 minutes ago, milimelo said:

HEP B not the same as HIB.

Ah yes, that’s true 

@dundeehighlander I would follow the advice given by @milimelo

12 minutes ago, dundeehighlander said:

I don't have a copy of the medical, I assumed the doc new what she was doing and just sent the sealed envelope.  It seems that maybe she has filled it in incorrectly.  I did think about contacting the doctor but if the decision is final, I don't think that would be of any use.

were you not given a copy of DS-3025 vaccination sheet? The medical office should have provided a copy to you 

If I contact the doctor for a copy, would she be able to help change the outcome?  Regarding the copy of the medical, I honestly assumed that she would know what she was doing, I wouldn't know what boxes she had to tick on the form and of she had missed any.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.