F3MTL

SSA 30 day rule?

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I entered the U.S roughly 2.5 weeks ago on an F3 immigrant visa. I selected to receive a SSN on my application but did not receive one yet. I called the SSA and was told that regardless of whether I selected the option to receive one on my DS-260 or not, I still have to apply in-person. So I went today to apply but was told that I have to wait until 30 days from the day we entered, or until the IV expires, which is exactly 30 days from when we entered. 

Has anyone else been told anything about this 30 day rule before? Curious because I didn’t think that the expiration date of the IV mattered once we entered the U.S. 

Edited by F3MTL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

The expiration date on the IV is last date you could use to the visa to enter the USA as a non LPR.  That date is now irrelevant because your immigration visa was canceled the moment CBP admitted you into the USA on your visa.  

Your canceled visa is now a temporary I-551 that is good for one year from the date you entered the U.S.  An I-551 is evidence of LPR status. A green card is another type of I-551. 

The SSA clerk you dealt with seems under trained. I would try another office.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

SS office was wrong

u don't have to apply in person

USCIS is doing the work for your SS#

u can go and check  the status but they may not yet see it in  the system

it's a little early to panic about not receiving the card yet/  give it about a month

if u or others apply in person needed -passport with I 551 stamp -and fill out the form to apply

passport I 551 stamp  and the passport photo there ID all SS office needs

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

The expiration date on the IV is last date you could use to the visa to enter the USA as a non LPR.  That date is now irrelevant because your immigration visa was canceled the moment CBP admitted you into the USA on your visa.  

Your canceled visa is now a temporary I-551 that is good for one year from the date you entered the U.S.  An I-551 is evidence of LPR status. A green card is another type of I-551. 

The SSA clerk you dealt with seems under trained. I would try another office.  

That's what I was thinking as well. I'll wait out the full three weeks and try visiting another office if it doesn't come by then. 

The SSA clerk even provided us with a written paper stating that the visa must be expired before they can apply for a new SSN. Very odd. 

10 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

SS office was wrong

u don't have to apply in person

USCIS is doing the work for your SS#

u can go and check  the status but they may not yet see it in  the system

it's a little early to panic about not receiving the card yet/  give it about a month

if u or others apply in person needed -passport with I 551 stamp -and fill out the form to apply

passport I 551 stamp  and the passport photo there ID all SS office needs

Yes, I agree. I think it's best to wait it out. Thanks for the info. 

I am assuming that with the I-551 stamp, I can legally begin working in the United States. Although I don't have a SSN yet, I am still working remotely for my Canadian employer while physically living in the U.S. Hoping to get my SSN soon so I can switch over to U.S. payroll. 

Edited by F3MTL

On 11/10/2022 at 6:27 PM, F3MTL said:

Yes, I agree. I think it's best to wait it out. Thanks for the info. 

I am assuming that with the I-551 stamp, I can legally begin working in the United States. Although I don't have a SSN yet, I am still working remotely for my Canadian employer while physically living in the U.S. Hoping to get my SSN soon so I can switch over to U.S. payroll. 

@F3MTL I landed in the US 6 days ago, and am also eagerly waiting my SSN so that I can switch over to US payroll for my existing employer. Currently working remotely also.

Did you check the SAVE website? https://save.uscis.gov/save/app/client/ui/case-check I believe you can see whether the SSA has sent a request to USCIS to verify your status.

On 11/16/2022 at 3:48 PM, Madrismo said:

@F3MTL I landed in the US 6 days ago, and am also eagerly waiting my SSN so that I can switch over to US payroll for my existing employer. Currently working remotely also.

Did you check the SAVE website? https://save.uscis.gov/save/app/client/ui/case-check I believe you can see whether the SSA has sent a request to USCIS to verify your status.

Hey, hopefully yours comes too. Seems like we’re in the same boat with respect to working remotely. 

I actually went to another SSA office today and they were able to submit the application. Great experience and very friendly staff. I recommend trying another office after 3 weeks, since it might take a while for DHS to verify your immigration status.

3 minutes ago, F3MTL said:

Hey, hopefully yours comes too. Seems like we’re in the same boat with respect to working remotely. 

I actually went to another SSA office today and they were able to submit the application. Great experience and very friendly staff. I recommend trying another office after 3 weeks, since it might take a while for DHS to verify your immigration status.

Also I didn’t check that website yet but since it’s been submitted, I guess our status has been verified

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 11/16/2022 at 5:48 PM, Madrismo said:

Hello can you also use this website (https://save.uscis.gov/save/app/client/ui/case-check) to check if the SAVE-ASVI has been updated to apply for a SSN at the SSA?

My Fiance (K1 visa) arrived on the Feb 5th and I have a day off on Feb 17th. I want to go apply for her SSN before getting married and applying for AOS

14 hours ago, bspnmi said:

Hello can you also use this website (https://save.uscis.gov/save/app/client/ui/case-check) to check if the SAVE-ASVI has been updated to apply for a SSN at the SSA?

My Fiance (K1 visa) arrived on the Feb 5th and I have a day off on Feb 17th. I want to go apply for her SSN before getting married and applying for AOS

Hi, I actually did use that and it was updated the same day I applied in-person. It never updated after that. It should come in the mail automatically after applying. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.