TO285

Utah Online Marriage, SF Consulate Rejected RoM.

52 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2022 at 5:41 AM, John & Rose said:

Keep in mind this ONLY impacts ROM and the changing of the beneficiaries name on the passport.  The US will still allow the wedding and if you meet after the online wedding you can file for a spousal visa.  ROM is not required.  The Utah wedding is still legal for US immigration and is technically legal in the Philippines.  This will get straightened out but it is just a minor hiccup.  I actually know of a couple who met in Cebu and did the Utah wedding while they were together.  It is too early to see how that will turn out but if it works for the Spousal visa they did find a way to avoid the LCR and licensing wait.  It was not a Proxy wedding as they were both involved and they were together for the ceremony.

I was in Manila with my wife when we did the Utah wedding. The US could give two craps about the PSA MC. It isn't a requirement when going through your interview.

The only thing I'm worried about is when we get to the CFO and will they let her leave. Guess we will see when we get there, but I'm sure there will be people in this situation that will get there before me.

Texas Service Center
Consulate: Manila
Marriage: 09/14/2022

I-130 Sent: 09/29/2022
I-130 NOA1: 10/14/2022 
I-129F Sent: 10/10/2022, REC 10/20/2022
I-129F NOA1: 10/25/2022

I-130 NOA2: 8/31/23

1 minute ago, Steve & Erma said:

I was in Manila with my wife when we did the Utah wedding. The US could give two craps about the PSA MC. It isn't a requirement when going through your interview.

The only thing I'm worried about is when we get to the CFO and will they let her leave. Guess we will see when we get there, but I'm sure there will be people in this situation that will get there before me.

USCIS will accept the Utah marriage cert. that won’t be an issue. CFO will most likely be stressful. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

On 11/21/2022 at 1:13 PM, TO285 said:

Unfortunately for some of us this is already done. So it's impossible to fix now unless the PH grandfathers in people of a certain wedding date range to allow us to get a ROM.

Are there any options for reaching out to the PSA/DFA directly for information or is the only hope to wait for the San Francisco office to get updates through their channels?

Pretty deflated at the moment..

We luckily already got ours through and approved in April. Wife already has Psa and new passport.

I feel very lucky that we were able to get ours approved in September (sent in July) - we are waiting for the certificate to be "digitized" apparently before we can receive a PSA copy, so I'm still a little nervous about it.  We'll know in a few weeks and I'll drop a status update in here.  I'm sorry to all that are having to go through this right now.  Philippine bureaucracy is legitimately the most frustrating thing I've ever dealt with in my life, having lived here for nearly 15 years. 

June 25, 2022 - Married
June 28, 2022 - I-130 filed digitally

June 28, 2022 - NOA1 (Nebraska -> Vermont xfer)

June 8, 2023 - NOA2 (Vermont -> California xfer)
June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

We checked via Serbilis if we could get the PSA copy of the marriage certificate, but we received a CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage) instead.  We received the signed copy of ROM back in September.  I'm not really sure how long it takes for the PSA copy to be available in the Philippines, but I'm a little anxious about it now with all that's going on with regards to the Utah marriages.  We will probably keep trying Serbilis every month until we get the certificate, just in case the government is just slow.

Edited by NeonParticles

June 25, 2022 - Married

June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

• 2 weeks later...

The SF Consulate and the PSA are now excepting ROM again. WOOT WOOT!!!

Someone told me that they are now requiring the Letter of Validity from Utah which you can get from the Clerk the same way you order your Apostilled Marriage Certificate. I do not see this on their website at this time and I have not confirmed it with them.

My ROM was held up with the DFA since October and they sent it through with out the Letter of Validity on 1/6.

Texas Service Center

8 hours ago, Steve & Erma said:

Awesome.  That's going to be a huge relief to many.  I was optimistic that the issue would eventually work itself out.  There are already too many couples who have gone that route for it to not be accepted.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

I sent an email to the SF Consulate and the only thing they said is needed is an Apostilled MC which I thought was already the case. So nothing about the letter of validity when asked directly.

Texas Service Center

On 1/17/2023 at 3:02 AM, Steve & Erma said:

Someone told me that they are now requiring the Letter of Validity from Utah which you can get from the Clerk the same way you order your Apostilled Marriage Certificate. I do not see this on their website at this time and I have not confirmed it with them.

My ROM was held up with the DFA since October and they sent it through with out the Letter of Validity on 1/6.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a ROM? 

Can anyone give me a rundown on the general situation with Utah Online Marriage situation? Are they accepting it officially or giving everyone issues with it? 

I'm trying to weigh my options. I was wanting to marry my long time gf/fiance of 5 yrs in the Philippines, but seeing as how I only get 7 days of vacation for one year of work, I only have 5 days realistically to get married. 

All the requirements to do so seem like there's a waiting period or I'm getting conflicting information about the process...making it seem like that routes almost impossible. 

Would we be better off to marry using the online utah marriage route in the Philippines? Would they even conduct the wedding so late considering time zones would put them at night etc. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Chappy said:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a ROM? 

Can anyone give me a rundown on the general situation with Utah Online Marriage situation? Are they accepting it officially or giving everyone issues with it? 

I'm trying to weigh my options. I was wanting to marry my long time gf/fiance of 5 yrs in the Philippines, but seeing as how I only get 7 days of vacation for one year of work, I only have 5 days realistically to get married. 

All the requirements to do so seem like there's a waiting period or I'm getting conflicting information about the process...making it seem like that routes almost impossible. 

Would we be better off to marry using the online utah marriage route in the Philippines? Would they even conduct the wedding so late considering time zones would put them at night etc. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

ROM = Report of Marriage. It is something you need to do if you get married in another country. report the marriage to the Philippine government. You get a marriage certificate from the Philippine government after it is all done and she will need it to be able to change her name to her married name.

There is no longer an issue with using the Utah Marriage. It has been resolved and they are not having issue with online weddings anymore. The only thing I was told is you need the apostilled marriage certificate from Utah when you send in your ROM.

Under your circumstances the Utah marriage is your best bet. If you can afford to you can always look into a leave of absence from work to take a longer vacation and then getting married in the Philippines might work out.

My wife and I did a 530pm and that was 830am the next day there and now during daylight savings time it would be an hour later than that.

Texas Service Center

We submitted a request for a PSA copy of the marriage certificate again, hopefully it's been digitized and sent to the Philippines by now.  Originally approved September 6th.  Will follow up here.  We got a CENOMAR last time we tried via Serbilis.

June 25, 2022 - Married

June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

Our ROM application was approved on August 26th and transmitted on September 9th.

My wife went to the local PSA in General Santos and they don’t have a record of it as of now. Since the consulate website says 6 months to a year, we will try again in March.

14 hours ago, Swafford25 said:

Our ROM application was approved on August 26th and transmitted on September 9th.

My wife went to the local PSA in General Santos and they don’t have a record of it as of now. Since the consulate website says 6 months to a year, we will try again in March.

We have similar timelines here.  Our CR1 is still months off at least, so we'll probably be okay, but it's frustrating having to wait for something that's not even important for the US immigration process... :ranting:

June 25, 2022 - Married

June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

On 1/30/2023 at 9:50 AM, NeonParticles said:

We have similar timelines here.  Our CR1 is still months off at least, so we'll probably be okay, but it's frustrating having to wait for something that's not even important for the US immigration process... :ranting:

Just wondering: Has your PSA document become available?

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

2 minutes ago, marriedtomrg said:

Just wondering: Has your PSA document become available?

So far, no.  We requested from psaserbilis.com.ph again, so we'll see.  Also emailed DFA but haven't received a reply in over a week (shocking, I know)

June 25, 2022 - Married

June 14, 2023 - At NVC

July 3, 2023 - NVC RFE

July 17, 2023 - NVC DQ

April 15, 2024 - IL

April 19, 2024 - Medical

May 23, 2024 - Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.