TO285

Utah Online Marriage, SF Consulate Rejected RoM.

52 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Keep in mind this ONLY impacts ROM and the changing of the beneficiaries name on the passport.  The US will still allow the wedding and if you meet after the online wedding you can file for a spousal visa.  ROM is not required.  The Utah wedding is still legal for US immigration and is technically legal in the Philippines.  This will get straightened out but it is just a minor hiccup.  I actually know of a couple who met in Cebu and did the Utah wedding while they were together.  It is too early to see how that will turn out but if it works for the Spousal visa they did find a way to avoid the LCR and licensing wait.  It was not a Proxy wedding as they were both involved and they were together for the ceremony.

Here is the requirements for CFO

Dear CFO Client,
You have just created an account with CFO-OFCORS for Guidance and Couseling Program (GCP). Please send the digital copies of the following registration requirements for checking/verification at epehle@cfo.gov.ph:
1. Valid passport;
2. Valid visa or visa grant notice; and
3. Petitioner's passport
4. Marriage certificate or Report of Marriage - ROM (in PSA security paper) (if married)

Until they sort out how to handle the ROM I would not suggest Utah Weddings

Edited by RO_AH

12 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Here is the requirements for CFO

Dear CFO Client,
You have just created an account with CFO-OFCORS for Guidance and Couseling Program (GCP). Please send the digital copies of the following registration requirements for checking/verification at epehle@cfo.gov.ph:
1. Valid passport;
2. Valid visa or visa grant notice; and
3. Petitioner's passport
4. Marriage certificate or Report of Marriage - ROM (in PSA security paper) (if married)

Until they sort out how to handle the ROM I would not suggest Utah Weddings

I believe the marriage certificate would be enough but that does bring up another wrinkle.  I read that as "marriage certificate or PSA ROM" but as with most things Philippines, it is up to the individual to determine what that means.

My step son has his ROM but they haven't tried for the PSA marriage certificate or DFA to change the passport name yet.  I anticipate a few challenges ahead.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

4 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I believe the marriage certificate would be enough but that does bring up another wrinkle.  I read that as "marriage certificate or PSA ROM" but as with most things Philippines, it is up to the individual to determine what that means.

My step son has his ROM but they haven't tried for the PSA marriage certificate or DFA to change the passport name yet.  I anticipate a few challenges ahead.

When they say marriage certificate or ROM, they mean from PSA (for both). So you either marry there and request a PSA Certificate, or file a ROM and then get a PSA. Either way you must have the PSA to do the CFO. Is your step sons ROM a PSA Certificate? On yellow paper? I will attach. If so he's all set.

PSA-ROM.jpg

13 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I anticipate a few challenges ahead.

Only for those who have not received a ROM. I would never recommend a UTAH wedding for Filipinos until this gets sorted out.

4 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Only for those who have not received a ROM. I would never recommend a UTAH wedding for Filipinos until this gets sorted out.

Unfortunately for some of us this is already done. So it's impossible to fix now unless the PH grandfathers in people of a certain wedding date range to allow us to get a ROM.

Are there any options for reaching out to the PSA/DFA directly for information or is the only hope to wait for the San Francisco office to get updates through their channels?

Pretty deflated at the moment..

Edited by TO285

8 minutes ago, TO285 said:

Unfortunately for some of us this is already done. So it's impossible to fix now unless the PH grandfathers in people of a certain wedding date range to allow us to get a ROM.

Are there any options for reaching out to the PSA/DFA directly for information or is the only hope to wait for the San Francisco office to get updates through their channels?

Pretty deflated at the moment..

I honestly feel horrible for you and your situation. Sadly I do not think there is much you can do but wait. When you get to the point that the CFO is needed, all that you can do is beg and plead with them. In the absence of the ROM I would submit your ROM application and the response from the consulate and hope for the best. Tell them you are now stuck because you are legally married so you can't remarry. Ask them for any options. They have some terrible people at CFO but there are a few really good ones.

Edited by RO_AH

3 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

I honestly feel horrible for you and your situation. Sadly I do not think there is much you can do but wait. When you get to the point that the CFO is needed, all that you can do is beg and plead with them. In the absence of the ROM I would submit your ROM application and the response from the consulate and hope for the best. Tell them you are now stuck because you are legally married so you can't remarry. Ask them for any options. They have some terrible people at CFO but there are a few really good ones.

Definitely makes me feel like being back in peak of the pandemic again. Stuck between two places so to speak. Can't stay there long term, can't come here either if this goes badly. Hopefully whoever started this in the PSA will get enough pushback to at least allow a ROM even if there's more paperwork and fees needed so it can get sorted.

26 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

Agreed.  Utah helped during the pandemic when travel was very difficult but it looks like those days are numbered.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

31 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

When they say marriage certificate or ROM, they mean from PSA (for both). So you either marry there and request a PSA Certificate, or file a ROM and then get a PSA. Either way you must have the PSA to do the CFO. Is your step sons ROM a PSA Certificate? On yellow paper? I will attach. If so he's all set.

PSA-ROM.jpg

That is what he got back from the Consulate.  They were lucky.

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

PSA-ROM.jpg

So you think CFO would reject an Apostille stamped marriage certificate from Utah? Since those are meant to be used abroad and the PH is supposed to recognize Apostille stamped certificates? I believe the PH used to call them 'red ribbon' authenticated documents before they started to accept Apostilles.

30 minutes ago, TO285 said:

So you think CFO would reject an Apostille stamped marriage certificate from Utah? Since those are meant to be used abroad and the PH is supposed to recognize Apostille stamped certificates? I believe the PH used to call them 'red ribbon' authenticated documents before they started to accept Apostilles.

Yes, they specifically require a PSA marriage document. Now if they can be talked into accepting it, that remains to be seen. If it were me after interview and receiving visa I would just go forward with CFO like normal and do what I said above.

1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

When you get to the point that the CFO is needed, all that you can do is beg and plead with them. In the absence of the ROM I would submit your ROM application and the response from the consulate and hope for the best.

This kind of puts couples in the same category as others that have overseas marriages that are legal and fine for US Immigration but don't pass muster in the Philippines.  Like overseas divorce issues or same sex couples, etc.  They might expect some blowback from CFO but as far as I know such couples do generally make it past CFO and go on to emigrate successfully, albeit with a greater level of hassle. 

Where is has the potential for more serious implications is not for US Immigration but rather if the US spouse has more extensive future plans in the Philippines.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 6:41 AM, John & Rose said:

Keep in mind this ONLY impacts ROM and the changing of the beneficiaries name on the passport.  The US will still allow the wedding and if you meet after the online wedding you can file for a spousal visa.  ROM is not required.  The Utah wedding is still legal for US immigration and is technically legal in the Philippines.  This will get straightened out but it is just a minor hiccup.  I actually know of a couple who met in Cebu and did the Utah wedding while they were together.  It is too early to see how that will turn out but if it works for the Spousal visa they did find a way to avoid the LCR and licensing wait.  It was not a Proxy wedding as they were both involved and they were together for the ceremony.

I heard and maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong that there won't be any issue getting the Cr1 visa but you won't be able to complete the cfo without the rom to leave the country. Do you know anything about that. 

26 minutes ago, Scott12579 said:

I heard and maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong that there won't be any issue getting the Cr1 visa but you won't be able to complete the cfo without the rom to leave the country. Do you know anything about that. 

The US will accept the marriage as long as it is legal where it takes place.  The visa should be no problem.  CFO may be a different story.  I would anticipate challenges there.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.