Dee76

Can I bring my US citizen husband to my naturalization interview ( should time come)?

30 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Dee76 said:

I have a permanent Resident card and been married for over 10 years now. I just think its nice to have your spouse with you ( specially during the oath - as it feels like they deserve to be part of this big day) - but it is what it is. Thank you for your wonderful input. - Dee

Not yet

Sorry - I was thinking I-751 was the notice of approval for my N-400. I just realized it is the ROC- Yes I was already done with that having issued a permanent resident card with 10 years validity.

16 hours ago, Bajinga said:

I had the N400 interview recently in September. my wife was not allowed in for the interview or the oath ceremony and she had to wait outside at starbucks for a few hours with the kids. Tbh i was a little b*** hurt for a couple of days because they did not allow them even in the waiting room. unless your interview letter says bring your spouse, i would save the hurt if i were you :D.

How did they do the Civic and English Test? computerized testing or other method of testing?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Dee76 said:

How did they do the Civic and English Test? computerized testing or other method of testing?

They ask you questions for the civic test in person and give you a sentence to write on a tablet.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Dee76 said:

How many question do they give you and is it a multiple choice?

Up to ten and you have to answer six right. They'll stop after you have six right. No multiple choice. Just straight up question and answer.

52 minutes ago, Dee76 said:

Editing:   I-751 - ROC - Its been years ago since I did my ROC so I forgot what I-751 was - anyways, I am past the ROC stage so it should only be N-400 for me (I stand corrected if I am wrong).

Did the I-751 get approved? If it's still pending, that's when you need your spouse for N-400 & I-751 combo interview.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Did the I-751 get approved? If it's still pending, that's when you need your spouse for N-400 & I-751 combo interview.

It's been approved for years as OP said above.

8 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

It's been approved for years as OP said above.

"Did" is ambiguous and can mean different things. Actually, I read the whole thread again, see the message where the OP says I-751 is not yet approved. This means the US citizen spouse must attend the interview with him.

The fact that the OP has 10 year GC does not automatically mean he has the conditions removed. From what I understand so far:

- The 10 year GC was issued by mistake instead of conditional 2 year.

- OP filed I-751 (still pending)

- OP files N-400 (still pending)

So yeah, the OP should have their USC spouse come with them to the interview.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
21 hours ago, Mike E said:

Is your I-751 approved?

12 hours ago, Dee76 said:

Not yet

2 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

There shouldn't be a I-751 when being married for over 10 years. 

I’m am still seeking the world record for pending joint I-751 cases. 

Anyway:  GIGO. 

1 hour ago, Dee76 said:

what is I-751 btw?

1 hour ago, Dee76 said:

Editing:   I-751 - ROC - Its been years ago since I did my ROC so I forgot what I-751 was - anyways, I am past the ROC stage so it should only be N-400 for me (I stand corrected if I am wrong).

If so, then I amend  my answer. You can expect that your spouse will not be permitted inside the USCIS facility.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

"Did" is ambiguous and can mean different things. Actually, I read the whole thread again, see the message where the OP says I-751 is not yet approved. This means the US citizen spouse must attend the interview with him.

The fact that the OP has 10 year GC does not automatically mean he has the conditions removed. From what I understand so far:

- The 10 year GC was issued by mistake instead of conditional 2 year.

- OP filed I-751 (still pending)

- OP files N-400 (still pending)

So yeah, the OP should have their USC spouse come with them to the interview.

OP corrected herself above that she thought the I-751 was the notice of action for the N-400 and stated that ROC had been approved years ago and that's when she got the 10 year card:

2 hours ago, Dee76 said:

Sorry - I was thinking I-751 was the notice of approval for my N-400. I just realized it is the ROC- Yes I was already done with that having issued a permanent resident card with 10 years validity.

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m am still seeking the world record for pending joint I-751 cases.  

This is not it. Just a misunderstanding luckily  😁

Wife had a combo interview pre-covid.  Me and the kids were in the room for both parts, but for the N400 they told me not to say anything during the questions.

Timeline
36 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@Letspaintcookies thank you. I'm even more confused now. Why did the OP have to file I-751 if married for over 10 years? Should have received 10 year unconditional GC.

And OP did years ago. Everything was done proper and it's just a misunderstanding in here since many file N-400 asap and often have both going on at the same time. OP took her sweet time with the decision to file N-400 😁

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Our ROC was approved a couple weeks before my husband's N400 interview, but since he filed under the 3 year rule, I went with him for the N400 interview, hoping they would let me into the waiting room.  No one at security in the lobby even asked why we were there or who we were; we just went through the scanners and on up to the USCIS office.  No one in the office asked why I was there either, just told us to have a seat.  My husband said the IO asked him like 3 times if I had come with him to the interview, so it was good that I was sitting just outside in the waiting room.  The officer even saw me there when he came out to call my husband in for the interview, so who knows why he asked about it so much.  It's worth a shot to try to go, even just for moral support, the worst they can say is no and you have to wait outside.

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.