ah-no

I'm often flagged at check-in or pulled aside for customs.

10 posts in this topic

So, 3 flights beginning  of this last year I got SSSS on my tickets and had to undergo time-consuming full search. Then, silence. This most recent time, I was pulled aside upon arrival by customs and they searched everything and grilled me. It took like 1.5 hours extra. I am wondering.... if I am on some kind of list, could this interfere with my wife's CR1? I didn't do anything, but could still be a reality that i'm flagged for something. Could this something be an immigration issue? I'm not sure what it means. Just an anxious ball

Edited by ah-no

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
46 minutes ago, ah-no said:

So, 3 flights beginning  of this last year I got SSSS on my tickets and had to undergo time-consuming full search. Then, silence. This most recent time, I was pulled aside upon arrival by customs and they searched everything and grilled me. It took like 1.5 hours extra. I am wondering.... if I am on some kind of list, could this interfere with my wife's CR1? I didn't do anything, but could still be a reality that i'm flagged for something. Could this something be an immigration issue? I'm not sure what it means. Just an anxious ball

Sounds like your name is flagged but there  are dozens of things that trigger it .. most nothing to do with you. I got that dreaded SSSS 4 times in 12 months.. despite traveling to and from the US regularly for 40 years AND. having Global Entry. I stopped at the GE office after the 4 th time .. the officer took a look and said that one of my records he could see had a typo/ machine read error.. an L was being read as a C.. corrected it even though he didn't have to and I had no further “special care”. Coincidence or the problem .. no idea but no more SSSS since then

It isn't connected to your spouse’s visa application, nor will it create problems for her  

I believe there is a process you can go through with CBP to address this recurrence .. and if needed they will issue a redress number.. which when added to your flight bookings indicates that the red flag is erroneous and to be ignored  

Have a read through this 

https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip

Edited by Lil bear

4 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Sounds like your name is flagged but there  are dozens of things that trigger it .. most nothing to do with you. I got that dreaded SSSS 4 times in 12 months.. despite traveling to and from the US regularly for 40 years AND. having Global Entry. I stopped at the GE office after the 4 th time .. the officer took a look and said that one of my records he could see had a typo/ machine read error.. an L was being read as a C.. corrected it even though he didn't have to and I had no further “special care”. Coincidence or the problem .. no idea but no more SSSS since then

It isn't connected to your spouse’s visa application, nor will it create problems for her  

I believe there is a process you can go through with CBP to address this recurrence .. and if needed they will issue a redress number.. which when added to your flight bookings indicates that the red flag is erroneous and to be ignored  

Have a read through this 

https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip

Thanks for the response. 

i… did go through that process. I got the redress number. I used it on my last flight and that’s when I was flagged at customs. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, ah-no said:

Thanks for the response. 

i… did go through that process. I got the redress number. I used it on my last flight and that’s when I was flagged at customs. 

Weird. Not pleasant 🥺😤🤬

We sometimes get that when traveling on one-way tickets.  All have global entry/tsa pre-check and still happens. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Welcome to the special group club.

I get that so often that I just don't pay attention anymore..Last was in Frankfurt 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

What is SSSS?

Secondary Security Screening Selection Usually hand  written on your boarding pass or on a list held at screening. 

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
19 hours ago, ah-no said:

OK, so (oddly) prior to my marriage I used to get secondary ALL THE TIME.... I once flew from US-Guayaquil-Lima and nothing out of the ordinary, but on the way back, I got the internal scan in Lima, I got questioned and searched by the drug enforcement police in Ecuador, and got secondary when I arrived in Fort Lauderdale....hell of a trip!

I used to get this all the time so I would just go to the Boarding Gate with my ID and ask for a new Boarding Pass saying I misplaced my other one.  That worked well.  Additionally, often times they will take the first person boarding so on early boarding I never go first.  My experience with over 2 million miles.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.