2,974 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Family said:

Don’t wait for RFE, get in front of the issue both with arrest /conviction record and any other evidence you deemed “ final” …no such concept. A thorough initial I-360 filing can and has been approved without RFEs.

In your case, run your own FBI prints ( inexpensive and fast ) to show no other law enforcement contacts, get certified court disposition ( include plea agreement) and  your statement of remorse / rehabilitation ( you’ve a good handle of it , per your detailed post)…add a sentence or two tying in the event to the lingering after effects of abuse.

Send it in w a cover letter titled Supplemental Filing to I-360 xxx Good Moral Character “ 

Why did you not get a wet and reckless? 

Yes , many others have successfully obtained approvals , so no worries 

I see what you're saying, getting ahead on it - it makes sense but also my immigration attorney advised we should wait for the RFE before we send the rest of the documents so we can answer and provide them whatever they ask for. Also, they said it's better not to send documents unless USCIS asks for them. 

16 hours ago, FirstTimer said:

Congratulations... Your attorney guided you the right path. I am December 2020 filler and never heard back from USCIS.

Hi

Thank you for your response.

Could you please tell more what does that mean? what would be the right path here, not sending anything before the RFE? thanks

Also did you or you know of someone who had gotten a dui prior to the approval? thanks

Edited by perseverance_

3 hours ago, balo101 said:

Hy please don't stress out. Let's wait for the RFE to arrive. Just send them what they would request. If they ask for divorce papers then you can send all the evidence that your marriage was bonafide marriage. I know someone gonna though the same process and her vawa got approved. 

Just let us know what is RFE about. We are here to help. 

Hello, This morning I received the RFE it is 5 pages long. it requires me to send the proof of 1. divorce 2. that we resided together, 3. Marriage with good faith, 4. battery or extreme cruelty.  Can the statement in the divorce decree that we did not stayed together   will impact. we stayed together but we were working in 2 different states to most of the time he was at my apartment and sometime I was at his as i was not allowed to work from home. I will send the personal statement that i have not shared yet. Please suggest or share such experiences as well anyone who had same scenario. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Priya25 said:

Hello, This morning I received the RFE it is 5 pages long. it requires me to send the proof of 1. divorce 2. that we resided together, 3. Marriage with good faith, 4. battery or extreme cruelty.  Can the statement in the divorce decree that we did not stayed together   will impact. we stayed together but we were working in 2 different states to most of the time he was at my apartment and sometime I was at his as i was not allowed to work from home. I will send the personal statement that i have not shared yet. Please suggest or share such experiences as well anyone who had same scenario. Thanks.

@sandranjlet sandra give her input on this.

I would suggest send whatever proof you have that proof your marriage was bonafide marriage. 

7 hours ago, perseverance_ said:

Hi

Thank you for your response.

Could you please tell more what does that mean? what would be the right path here, not sending anything before the RFE? thanks

Also did you or you know of someone who had gotten a dui prior to the approval? thanks

I have in my record a DWI(dui) from 2015. 
you will have to had a 3 year good moral caracter o file i-601(You can use Form I-601 to apply for a waiver if you have been found to be ineligible to enter the United States as an immigrant or to adjust status in the United States (and certain other visa categories) for specific grounds of inadmissibility.) 

9 hours ago, Stillwinning!!!😊 said:

Looks like you or your attorney did not send enough documents initially to meet the requirements. Gather what documents you have for now, so it’s easier how to go about what’s not available. Anything that’s not available can be explained in an affidavit. For proof of residence with your spouse, even if you stayed together for 24hrs in your shared residence (not visiting each other) meets the requirement. For good faith marriage, they want to know you did not marry for immigration benefits. So your personal affidavit, alongside statements from friends, family etc can attest to your good faith marriage. For abuse, statements from witnesses and your police report or medical report, or psychological evaluation concerning the abuse will suffice. The good news is that..a detailed attestation of your journey with your abuser might be able to explain the absence of some evidence.. I personally used a personal statement to respond to my RFEs alongside few evidence I could lay my hands on. Everyone’s situation is different and as such these i360’s are adjudicated on a case by case basis. This means that your evidence can vary from the next person and sometimes you might scale through with very limited proof where others will be required to present more facts. I hope this helps.🙂

Thank you so much, this helps. I am going to gather all the required documents to send . :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

We have been challenged to produce the most effective Semiofficial Semiweekly VAWA-Thread Joke ever, and here it is (or isn't):

======================================

DOG AT THE MOVIES

A man running a little behind schedule arrived at a theater and went in to watch the movie that had already started.  As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he was surprised to see a dog sitting beside its master in the row ahead.

The dog was intently watching the movie and even seemed to understand -- wagging its tail at the happy bits, drooping its ears at the sad bits, and hiding its eyes with its paws at the scary bits.

After the movie, the man approached the dog's owner and said, "Your dog really seemed to enjoy the movie.  I'm amazed!"

"Yes, I'm amazed also," came the reply.  "He HATED the book."

:P 

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 2/6/2023 at 9:27 PM, HatingTheWaiting said:

Is this it? Is it really over? Please tell me this is it and not a USCIS error! I'm trying to not get excited and wait until the card is in my hand just in case it's a technical error but omg 😭

yes.png

Congratulations !!! So excited for you. 

I have received C-31 EAD but no information on I-360 approval notice. Can you please help me if you received approval notice or a timeline after you received C-31 EAD. Thank you 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 2/3/2023 at 8:06 PM, Hugefaith said:

I am a Nov 2019 filer. No rfe, 6 primafacies. There’s no decision on I360 yet. March 2022 my I485 got transferred for faster processing. September 2022 I sent a letter to Vermont but never got a response, so i contacted my congressman and got a response they’re still working on my case. 
I submitted a case inquiry online and the last 3 digits for both I360 and I485 has my city code. When it was treated, I received a letter that it’s still processing but the address on the letter was my local field office address. 

Then I sent an enquiry again in January on the I485, now it’s in Chicago field office because the letter response has Chicago processing center on it. I contacted Emma and chatted with a rep to know what is happening but was told it’s transferred for faster processing. The processing time in my field office is even shorter than that of the Chicago office. Is this normal? Why is my files sent from one field to another without vawa approval yet? 
@sandranj please help

All  cases are adjudicated in Vermont.After vAWA approval the petition goes to NBC and then local office.If it's showing the case is in Chicago then probably they approved your case.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 2/5/2023 at 7:05 AM, anonymousVAWApet said:

Hello.

Self-petitioner Jan 2023. Looking ahead here. Starting a job search in anticipation of getting an EAD. Hopefully getting an offer from a local employer to expedite with USCIS and/or my local congressional rep.

I frequently encounter this question..."Are you authorized to work in the US". I am not, but my understanding is that employers are not allowed to ask about immigration status until AFTER a job offer. This seems inconsistent, but I assume legal. Yes, I realize the "authorized" question is not technically asking about immigration status. No need to flame me, or give snark response. Thx.

I think employers ask the "authorized" question to avoid wasting time, but in my case, I'm not wasting their time. Any ideas of how to obtain a job offer and answer the "authorized" question truthfully or should I just look for employers that don't ask this question?

Thx. 

You should not work without a work permit.They will forgive you for breaking the  law before you filed your VAWA petition, but don't push your luck .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
34 minutes ago, sandranj said:

All  cases are adjudicated in Vermont.After vAWA approval the petition goes to NBC and then local office.If it's showing the case is in Chicago then probably they approved your case.

I made enquiry through congressman and was told it’s still processing normally. In fact I still got a prima facie extension some weeks back. No rfe nothing since Nov 2019. @sandranj

2 minutes ago, Hugefaith said:

I made enquiry through congressman and was told it’s still processing normally. In fact I still got a prima facie extension some weeks back. No rfe nothing since Nov 2019. @sandranj

You are not alone! May 2019 here! Derivative got GC about getting citizenship and they are yet to do anything on mine. 🤦‍♀️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.