FPS81

Changing location for interview

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi,

So here's my situation.  Filed I-130 for my wife last month.  She's Chinese citizen, was going to stay in China during the process, but situation changed, and in about 3 months we will be moving to Taiwan (she has legal residency in Taiwan) .  I want to change the consulate where she will later interview at to Taiwan, and I want to make the request as soon as I can, so there's no problem with the location when the times comes to do the interview.  How should I do this?

Should I inform USCIS and/or NVC now about the impending change? Wait until we actually moved? Wait until the our case is sent to NVC and then inform NVC? or something else?

And how much time will this add to the overall process, if any?

Thank you.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
7 hours ago, FPS81 said:

Wait until the our case is sent to NVC and then inform NVC?

This. You won't loose any time when requesting at that phase. While you work on submitting docs, NVC will change the consulate.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

22 hours ago, FPS81 said:

Hi,

So here's my situation.  Filed I-130 for my wife last month.  She's Chinese citizen, was going to stay in China during the process, but situation changed, and in about 3 months we will be moving to Taiwan (she has legal residency in Taiwan) .  I want to change the consulate where she will later interview at to Taiwan, and I want to make the request as soon as I can, so there's no problem with the location when the times comes to do the interview.  How should I do this?

Your wife has to be in the country already when requesting to switch - since she will only move in 3 months, technically you can only apply for the switch then. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, arken said:

This. You won't loose any time when requesting at that phase. While you work on submitting docs, NVC will change the consulate.

4 hours ago, Mel.King said:

Your wife has to be in the country already when requesting to switch - since she will only move in 3 months, technically you can only apply for the switch then. 

Okay, thanks.  Also do I need to include a reason for why we moved?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
5 hours ago, FPS81 said:

Okay, thanks.  Also do I need to include a reason for why we moved?

No.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

~~ Duplicate thread removed. Please do not start multiple threads asking same or related questions - that’s considered spamming ~~

7 hours ago, FPS81 said:

Me and my wife are in China, and in about 3 months we will be moving to Taiwan, when our I-130 will still be pending at USCIS.  The address change function at the USCIS site will not allow a change to a non-US address.  What should I do about the address change?

Thanks.

This was answered above - you change it when it gets to NVC.

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
12 hours ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Duplicate thread removed. Please do not start multiple threads asking same or related questions - that’s considered spamming ~~

This was answered above - you change it when it gets to NVC.

Okay, I didn't know if it's okay to wait until it gets to NVC to change my address.  USCIS does say I need to do that within 10 days after I move, just askin.

By the way, since I applied on-line, I'll get all the correspondence on the website or e-mail, right?

The change of address is for immigrants only & only once they are in the US.

1 hour ago, FPS81 said:

By the way, since I applied on-line, I'll get all the correspondence on the website or e-mail, right?

What correspondence exactly?

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

What correspondence exactly?

Well, anything USCIS wants to send me.  Like when my petition is approved, they"ll either send me an e-mail or I can find out on-line, right?

4 hours ago, FPS81 said:

Well, anything USCIS wants to send me.  Like when my petition is approved, they"ll either send me an e-mail or I can find out on-line, right?

Okay, now I understand. It was not clear form your initial post that you’re talking about the address change of USC petitioner.

You can find out online most of the time but you need to have the physical NOA in case you receive an RFE or are approved

Do you have a US mailing address that you can keep? Maybe parents or close friends? That was you can for sure receive the NOA since they send it with snail mail. 

You need to change your address by contacting the USCIS (phone or I’ve heard the Emma chat works when you connect to a live agent). You can have different mailing and physical addresses. 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
16 hours ago, powerpuff said:

Okay, now I understand. It was not clear form your initial post that you’re talking about the address change of USC petitioner.

You can find out online most of the time but you need to have the physical NOA in case you receive an RFE or are approved

Do you have a US mailing address that you can keep? Maybe parents or close friends? That was you can for sure receive the NOA since they send it with snail mail. 

You need to change your address by contacting the USCIS (phone or I’ve heard the Emma chat works when you connect to a live agent). You can have different mailing and physical addresses. 

So if I get an RFE will USCIS send me a notification on-line?  I do have family member in the US that mail can be sent to, but given I actually live in China now, it's obviously a hassle to me to receive those mail.

If a physical NOA or RFE is needed, can't I download it and print it myself?  I thought the whole point of on-line application is so you don't have to deal with paper, even more incredible is if it has to be their paper.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 minutes ago, FPS81 said:

So if I get an RFE will USCIS send me a notification on-line?  I do have family member in the US that mail can be sent to, but given I actually live in China now, it's obviously a hassle to me to receive those mail.

If a physical NOA or RFE is needed, can't I download it and print it myself?  I thought the whole point of on-line application is so you don't have to deal with paper, even more incredible is if it has to be their paper.

You thought wrong.  USCIS will notify you that you have and RFE (if and when you do) but you cannot download it.  It is sent to the mailing address they have for you by first class mail.  If NO RFE, and the only notice is a notice of approval, you should get an email but you don't need to.  What you need is an email from NVC notifying you the case is there.  THAT IS WHEN you request the case be assigned to Taipei instead of Guangzhou.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
15 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

You thought wrong.  USCIS will notify you that you have and RFE (if and when you do) but you cannot download it.  It is sent to the mailing address they have for you by first class mail.  If NO RFE, and the only notice is a notice of approval, you should get an email but you don't need to.  What you need is an email from NVC notifying you the case is there.  THAT IS WHEN you request the case be assigned to Taipei instead of Guangzhou.

If USCIS decides to mail me an RFE, will they also notify me via email or through my account that they have mailed me an RFE?  This is what I was asking.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
20 minutes ago, FPS81 said:

If USCIS decides to mail me an RFE, will they also notify me via email or through my account that they have mailed me an RFE?  This is what I was asking.

Yes, they will.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.