MeG@Am

Should we change to Spousal visa?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello!  My fiancé and I are waiting for our K1 NOA2.  Unfortunately, it's been 16 months now and we haven't gotten out approval yet.  We are April 2021 filers.  It seems like USCIS has forgotten our case and few of the remaining untouched April 2021 cases, as USCIS has not been processing new April 2021 cases.  They significantly slowed down and moved on to May and June 2021.

I would like to ask for your advice, if it is wise for us to shift to spousal visa instead.  Yes, we understand that we will be waiting for the K1 visa, but to wait for 16 months without being certain when USCIS will look back at our cases made us think maybe we should get married instead.

How is the CR1 processing going currently?  Is it still significantly longer than the K1?  

I appreciate your input.

PS - How is CVC looking?  Are they much much slower than the other visa centers?  I'm afraid that if we apply for the cr1, we will have the same experience as our K1.  And I know it's a gamble.

PPS - Is there anybody applying with their spouse in Egypt?  How is the wait for an interview there?

Thank you!!!

Edited by MeG@Am

If you switch to CR-1 petition, you’ll be waiting another 16 months for sure. If I were you, even with spousal overall being a better visa, since you already have waited so long, I would stick with the route you’re going. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
18 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

Hello!  My fiancé and I are waiting for our K1 NOA2.  Unfortunately, it's been 16 months now and we haven't gotten out approval yet.  We are April 2021 filers.  It seems like USCIS has forgotten our case and few of the remaining untouched April 2021 cases, as USCIS has not been processing new April 2021 cases.  They significantly slowed down and moved on to May and June 2021.

I would like to ask for your advice, if it is wise for us to shift to spousal visa instead.  Yes, we understand that we will be waiting for the K1 visa, but to wait for 16 months without being certain when USCIS will look back at our cases made us think maybe we should get married instead.

How is the CR1 processing going currently?  Is it still significantly longer than the K1?  

I appreciate your input.

PS - How is CVC looking?  Are they much much slower than the other visa centers?  I'm afraid that if we apply for the cr1, we will have the same experience as our K1.  And I know it's a gamble.

PPS - Is there anybody applying with their spouse in Egypt?  How is the wait for an interview there?

Thank you!!!

We are Egypt CR1 Spousal. Our PD is 10/30/21. Approved with USCIS on 2/15/22. Approved with NVC 5/12/22. Currently waiting for an interview which is taking 8-10 months. 

We were lucky because we were sent to the Nebraska service center which is faster. However there is a chance your case would go to another center. I would stick with the k1 since you are so far in. Hopefully you'll hear something soon. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

First and foremost, I am SO sorry this has been your experience so far. I feel guilty because I applied at the same time and have progressed slowly but surely to the US Embassy in Cairo. What might be the silver lining is that once you do get the NOA2 approval, things appear to be moving pretty steady... if all goes well you could potentially be scheduling an interview at the embassy within a few months after NOA2 (maybe 4-5?) based on recent K-1 timelines. My fingers are crossed you hear some good news soon!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you already waited so long, it is best to hear back on the K1 Visa, if you do the spousal visa you are gonna have to start over again and lose the money you already spent on the fiancé visa.

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I did this 7 months into waiting for the k1. Honestly I would not advise switching that far into the waiting. 

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 1:15 AM, MeG@Am said:

I appreciate your input.

Thank you!!!

Petitioner of Algeria finance here. My friends case took a total of 16 months from start to finish with Algeria consulate. Not sure about Egypt though. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I don't know how anybody can tell you what is best for you.  Yes, you are 16 months in.  That's a fact.  You do not just "switch visas".  If you decide to marry, and file the I-130 you'll be looking at a timeline starting from your decision date, until you manage to marry, then file.  Then 18 to 24 months more.  Since none of us know your priorities regarding work and travel etc. and none of us knows how soon you can marry and file, the best we can do is make sure you have the information you need, so you can apply your circumstances and priorities to the facts and make your own decision.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.