AbigailB08

Travel while waiting on AOS? Or general processing timeline?

11 posts in this topic

My husband and I were hoping to travel back to New Zealand for Christmas time to visit his family, due to some health conditions his elderly grandparents have. We're still waiting on any news for our AOS, we responded to an RFE back in March and have had zero updates since then. I know that timelines are not ever all the same, but it seems like local offices have been processing it all within about 11 months? We submitted the i-485 back in October of 2021. My question really is, is it too hopeful to try and plan a visit in December? Are there any other options for travel while waiting on the AOS after a K1 visa? We submitted a i-131 in the off chance it would be seen and approved in time for December. I know there might not be any one solid answer but I'm wondering if anyone out there has more information than I do about travel options or processing times? Thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

My husband and I were hoping to travel back to New Zealand for Christmas time to visit his family, due to some health conditions his elderly grandparents have. We're still waiting on any news for our AOS, we responded to an RFE back in March and have had zero updates since then. I know that timelines are not ever all the same, but it seems like local offices have been processing it all within about 11 months? We submitted the i-485 back in October of 2021. My question really is, is it too hopeful to try and plan a visit in December? Are there any other options for travel while waiting on the AOS after a K1 visa? We submitted a i-131 in the off chance it would be seen and approved in time for December. I know there might not be any one solid answer but I'm wondering if anyone out there has more information than I do about travel options or processing times? Thanks! 

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Sounds like  you didnt  apply for I 131 at the same time as the AOS 😓. You need to wait until either I 131 or I485 is approved and AP or GC in hand .. or you travel and start all over on a spouse visa .. consular processing .. which requires the foreign spouse remaining outside  the  US until the visa is granted 

Hopefully one will come through .. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

AP is possible by Christmas.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

33 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

Yeah we weren't planning on travel when we initially submitted the i-485 so we submitted that back in April. Hopefully things process at a decent pace and it can still work out, but it sounds like it's out of our hands!

The need to travel due to grand parents health condition qualifies him to request EXPEDITE processing of I-131. 
Call USCIS , get Infopass and go in person to local field office to make your case. 
While you wait for Infopass, get grandpa’s doctor to email u a letter that states the health conditions. 
Worth a try.

Have you looked at the estimated processing times on the website or are you going by what everyone else experienced?

I'd be able to look up your estimated timeline for you on the website however your timeline on your VJ profile is completely BLANK so I don't know what your local field office is to be able to help. 

:time:

• 5 weeks later...

*** Removed related thread. Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

32 minutes ago, AbigailB08 said:

My case is currently at USCIS local field office as of 7/29/2022. Is it possible and okay to call the local USCIS office to understand processing times from this point on? I know there's the website that will say local field office processing times. But I'm more curious from this point on while it's in queue for an interview at the local field office, since each case can differ and whatnot. Like if they'd have an answer of a rough estimate where they're at with getting interviews scheduled, or again if it's even okay to call or possible? Definitely don't want to unnecessarily increase their workload if that's not the kind of thing they answer

The USCIS hotline is the only phone service available for questions about processing estimates.  And if you call to ask about it, the agent will just read the LFO processing time off the website.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.