Blueeyes1989

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time-Part 2

2,174 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, era101 said:

Good afternoon,

We received our IV last week. We are going to give our Canadian Citizenship Oath next week and we have to cut the PR cards. We are thinking of going to the USA boarders with Alberta tomorrow to enter the USA and come back to Calgary again in the same day. We are wondering if there would be any issue at the borders if we are planning to be back in Calgary in the same day? Any piece of advise will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Congratulations on receiving IV ( Does that mean you attended the interview at Montreal consulate?) 

Are you anticipating any issues attending Canadian Citizenship Oath next week if your interview is over at the US consulate? 

1 minute ago, ACC24 said:

Congratulations on receiving IV ( Does that mean you attended the interview at Montreal consulate?) 

Are you anticipating any issues attending Canadian Citizenship Oath next week if your interview is over at the US consulate? 

Thanks! I attended the interview at Montreal consulate and received my passport back with the visa. The visa expires before the end of April. During the Canadian Citizenship Oath, I have to cut the PR card since I'd become a Canadian citizen. I then have to apply for a Canadian passport in order to be able to come back to Canada again. So I am thinking if it is possible to go to USA over the weekend and come back to Canada for my citizenship oath. Would be any issue form the US custom boarder if they knew I am going back to Canada the same day? 

4 minutes ago, era101 said:

Thanks! I attended the interview at Montreal consulate and received my passport back with the visa. The visa expires before the end of April. During the Canadian Citizenship Oath, I have to cut the PR card since I'd become a Canadian citizen. I then have to apply for a Canadian passport in order to be able to come back to Canada again. So I am thinking if it is possible to go to USA over the weekend and come back to Canada for my citizenship oath. Would be any issue form the US custom boarder if they knew I am going back to Canada the same day? 

Its a very tricky situation since no one knows what officers at the border might do. Do you think rescheduling oath ceremony might be an option so that you can finish your IV process smoothly?

2 hours ago, era101 said:

Good afternoon,

We received our IV last week. We are going to give our Canadian Citizenship Oath next week and we have to cut the PR cards. We are thinking of going to the USA boarders with Alberta tomorrow to enter the USA and come back to Calgary again in the same day. We are wondering if there would be any issue at the borders if we are planning to be back in Calgary in the same day? Any piece of advise will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

From the spreadsheet it looks like you were sent an IL quite a while back. If you don't mind, please let us know what took so long for the IV to arrive. Thanks!

As long as you have your Canadian citizenship certificate (which is mailed out fairly quickly after the Oath) you should be ok. Keep all your local IDs as well (Health Card, Driver License, etc.) to show proof of residence. I would also say keep the cut-up PR Cards as evidence. I personally know people who have traveled on expired PR cards with no issues.

US Customs/Border Patrol has no issue with you leaving the country.

Edited by can_do

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
21 hours ago, JLVS22BR said:

Yep @sophie,  and I've read in different topics that "people heard" about embassies/consulates shifting their workforde do FB, since they were focused on EBs backlog right after the reopening.

About the EB cases stuck at TSC after approval, sadly I was one of them! It almost took more time to my case reach the NVC than to be approved at the USCIS - it only moved forward after the Ombudsman intervention after way over 150 days of waiting.

Regarding the way that documents must be submitted, as far as I'm concerned they have to be mailed when it's an EB case. The good part is that as strange as it seems they review it faster than when submitted electronically. Both times that I've sent documents (I got a checklist) it took them less than 2 weeks to review it. People that I was following by the time also experienced the same timeframe.

As I write this message, I'm happy to share with you that I received the IL on december 29th and the interview will take place on february 15th. It took 101 days after DQ to get the IL, and there are 49 days between the day that the IL arrived and the date in which the Interview will take place. So, basically, it's 150 days between getting DQ and the Interview.

Congrats! Good luck with your interview!

17 hours ago, can_do said:

From the spreadsheet it looks like you were sent an IL quite a while back. If you don't mind, please let us know what took so long for the IV to arrive. Thanks!

As long as you have your Canadian citizenship certificate (which is mailed out fairly quickly after the Oath) you should be ok. Keep all your local IDs as well (Health Card, Driver License, etc.) to show proof of residence. I would also say keep the cut-up PR Cards as evidence. I personally know people who have traveled on expired PR cards with no issues.

US Customs/Border Patrol has no issue with you leaving the country.

I did my interview in February, was missing RCMP because it took too long to come. I sent RCMP two weeks later, my application stuck at the consulate for administrative processing. My medical expired, had to do a new one in October. Visa was issued end of December and received my passport in January.

To make my life even more complicated, I received invitation for canadian citizenship oath the same day I received my passport. 

It's even more complicated because I started a great job here in Canada a couple of months ago that I'd have to dig very hard to find something at the same level in USA. 

MY LIFE IS VERY COMPLICATED but in a good way I guess 🤣

Edited by era101

1 hour ago, era101 said:

I did my interview in February, was missing RCMP because it took too long to come. I sent RCMP two weeks later, my application stuck at the consulate for administrative processing. My medical expired, had to do a new one in October. Visa was issued end of December and received my passport in January.

To make my life even more complicated, I received invitation for canadian citizenship oath the same day I received my passport. 

It's even more complicated because I started a great job here in Canada a couple of months ago that I'd have to dig very hard to find something at the same level in USA. 

MY LIFE IS VERY COMPLICATED but in a good way I guess 🤣

Believe me, these are great complications to have!

You are lucky you came out of AP in a short time. There's a whole thread dedicated to that part of the IV process.

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, can_do said:

Just wanted to get an idea of what you all think about the looming US Government shutdown and its impact on Department of State's foreign services.

Will MTL be affected? NVC definitely will furlough staff.

Yet another sucker punch coming our way...

They have funding until the end of September.  I wouldn't worry yet.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, ACC24 said:

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing if you are in healthcare profession?

Thanks @ACC24! I'm an IT professional.

Edited by JLVS22BR
Typed wrong.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.