SoniaKaur

Behind the Wheel Driving Test in a Tesla Y

6 posts in this topic

I have finally been approved for a CR-1 Visa to settle as a permanent resident in CA, USA (current UK citizen). I will be looking to enter the USA next month and file an application to get a driving license. Has anyone had success with testing in a TESLA model Y?

I have copied the requirements below taken from the California Drivers’ Handbook:

Behind-the-Wheel Test Vehicle The vehicle you use for your behind-the-wheel test needs to be safe to drive, have valid registration, and be properly insured. You must bring proof of insurance.

The vehicle must have:

• Working driver’s side window, brake lights, horn, parking brake, and turn signals.

• Safe tires. The tires must have at least 1/32-inch of uniformed tread depth.

• Windshield that allows a full, clear, unblocked view for you and the person giving the test.

• At least two rearview mirrors. One of them must be on the left side of your vehicle.

• Working driver’s side and front passenger seat belts. You need to show that you know how to work the vehicle’s headlights, windshield wipers, defroster, emergency flashers, and parking brake.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

In general, if the car doesn't have the parking brake on the right side of driver's seat that the cop can easily pull it in case he senses danger ahead, it won't be allowed for the test.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
14 minutes ago, arken said:

In general, if the car doesn't have the parking brake on the right side of driver's seat that the cop can easily pull it in case he senses danger ahead, it won't be allowed for the test.

This isn’t correct  for California IME given the car my wife sued for her road test has the emergency brake to the left of the other pedals on the floor. 

Still a Tesla doesn’t have a parking brake so it will be interesting if the examiner enforces that rule. 

I’ve read experiences that taking the test with regenerative braking enabled will cause some California DMV examiners to issue a fail. 

BTW it can take months to get a road test in California. Perhaps OP booked one ahead of time. 

Edited by Mike E

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This isn’t correct  for California IME given the car my wife sued for her road test has the emergency brake to the left of the other pedals on the floor. 

Still a Tesla doesn’t have a parking brake so it will be interesting if the examiner enforces that rule. 

I’ve read experiences that taking the test with regenerative braking enabled will cause some California DMV examiners to issue a fail. 

BTW it can take months to get a road test in California. Perhaps OP booked one ahead of time. 

I'm talking in general. It's at the discretion of the cop/evaluator on site. Of course one may be able to use that vehicle after successful monthslong sue or complain.

In one dmv (not CA) that i know of got rejected even before driving after the cop said "i don't know how u drive, if i can't pull the emergency brake when something goes south, i ain't testing your drive". 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

My wife had some kind of weird newfangled push button electronic parking brake on the rental car she took her California drive test in.  When the time came, she demonstrated her proficiency in the pushing of the "park" button.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, arken said:

I'm talking in general. It's at the discretion of the cop/evaluator on site. Of course one may be able to use that vehicle after successful monthslong sue or complain.

In one dmv (not CA) that i know of got rejected even before driving after the cop said "i don't know how u drive, if i can't pull the emergency brake when something goes south, i ain't testing your drive". 

That's got to be BS.  

I haven't had a car with a right side pull emergency brake in at least 20 years.

Heck, even my '64 Corvair has a left side, below the dash, pull brake.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.