kkeys

Recommendations on how to move stuff (split)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, kkeys said:

Got DQ today and now thinking about everything that's about to transpire in the next few months. 

Any recommendations on how to get my stuff from Canada to USA? 

Im getting two large PODS. We have a 2300 sq ft house and a double garage to pack up lol

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Timeline
2 hours ago, ClemsonC said:

Im getting two large PODS. We have a 2300 sq ft house and a double garage to pack up lol

Do pods do cross border? I was looking on their site for pricing. I wouldn't need a ton, but some space would be good! 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, kkeys said:

Do pods do cross border? I was looking on their site for pricing. I wouldn't need a ton, but some space would be good! 

They do!

My quote is partially in CAD and some in USD due to that. They can give you a quote over the phone. 
They were the most cost effective option. Plus I like the fact I can have it parked in my driveway for a couple of months and slowly load it all. 

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Timeline
19 hours ago, kkeys said:

Got DQ today and now thinking about everything that's about to transpire in the next few months. 

Any recommendations on how to get my stuff from Canada to USA? 

I contacted many moving companies that would do cross-border moves. Quotes were all over the board. I eventually found a company that was reasonably priced vs others and also less than getting the shipping pods. Getting a U-haul was a possibility but considering what we would need to lift and move, it wasn't worth it. 

Timeline

A lot of quotes I've gotten were actually insane ranging from 4-6k. I think we're opting to sell lots of things, stick clothes and smaller things into suitcases and ship the rest via UPS/FedEx. 

For people who have shipped before what were your experiences?

Timeline

My quote with pods was $11,000 for two of their largest containers. From Nova Scotia to Atlanta with 1 month of storage fee

Edited by ClemsonC

IR1 / IR2  

Canada

June 2022 IR1 - DQ 

Aug 2022 IR2 - DQ

Oct 2022 - Interview

Nov 2022 - Moved to US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post and replies split off to its own thread for better flow and accessibility~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/14/2022 at 6:42 PM, ToddD said:

I contacted many moving companies that would do cross-border moves. Quotes were all over the board. I eventually found a company that was reasonably priced vs others and also less than getting the shipping pods. Getting a U-haul was a possibility but considering what we would need to lift and move, it wasn't worth it. 

Can you share which company you ended up with? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.