stm

What is an effective way to file a complaint against NVC and U.S embassy?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 hours ago, African Zealot said:

For all those discouraging and mocking the OP, are you saying applicants should just shut up and tolerate anything immigration throws at them? Quite surprised at the negative and derisive responses. Personally I wouldn’t bother however that’s exactly the kind of attitude that leads to continuous poor service. I wouldn’t discourage someone who’s trying to improve the system by filing a complaint.

Because or Covid (or whatever) , processes that took a few months are taking years and a complainant is being told essentially to just shut up and take it while the filing fees continue to increase faster than inflation?

OP, more power to you.

not knocking the OP

it was hard for me to send thru the Mail (back before online submissions )  all my personal info 

especially when we are warned "don't give out your SS # and this personal and very private information/  its hard

its hard to trust the USPS to mail naruralization ceriificate to get US passport or your passport for renewal  

its doesn't get any easier  when u apply for SS retirement and medicare and u have to ,  AGAIN ,   send original birth certificate and other documents to collect benefits but that the way government systems are set up.

complaining to NVC and embassy???? Better to write to both your Senators and House Rep and tell them ,  the system needs correction especially with all the fraud and scammer issues out there now /  start a petition to Congress and ask for signatures 

If u r not part of the solution,  you are part of the problem

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
11 hours ago, stm said:

can easily happen.  

So you’re going to complain about something that hasn’t happened to you, but could happen? 
Do you have any idea of how many times you’ll have to give your info to the US government, such as SSN, income, W2s, etc? Correct. You guessed it. Every year when you file taxes.

And since you’re filing for an immigration benefit, and you’re just starting, there are many more instances in which you’ll have to give them your information. So I doubt that complaining about something that can happen, but hasn’t happened to you, would be helpful. And I’m not being negative, I’m just being honest.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

14 hours ago, stm said:

to clarify I did not say there is an identity theft happening here, but I am saying it can easily happen.  

When the NVC sends you the Appointment letter, if has Case number and Invoice ID. Part of the process, you need to print that letter and take for the doctor's appointment and also the interview.  This means, you may have to share that with 3rd parties that are not trusted : whoever will get the document by email to print it for you a and who ever works with the physician or the any person that have access to the 3rd party files. With case number and invoice ID you can log online to CEAC and pull out all the files you sent to NVC (tax, affidavit, W2s...)

There is absolutely no need for the doctor to get that invoice ID. The NVC/Embassy either needs to change the process to do not require the appt letter for the doctor's appointment and interview or to send a separate letter that has the case number only . The letter without the invoice ID is enough.  This way you don't have to be worried about the middle man during the visa process

They cannot access any of the petitioner's sensitive data uploaded to CEAC. 

All of the petitioner's data cannot be downloaded/viewed on CEAC. A message stating it is sensitive data appears when you try to view it after upload.

What stage of the process are you on? Have you attempted to download any of the petitioner's documents uploaded to CEAC?  

The beneficiary's data is viewable though... but the medical facility (I'm going to) will be seeing all the information uploaded because I have to bring my passport and identity card to the medical exam. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline
On 7/1/2022 at 12:31 PM, Jorgedig said:

Clinic records contain all sorts of private, identifying information about patients.  If someone at your doctor's office wanted to commit identity theft, they wouldn't need access to your immigration case number.

The NVC appointment letter contain case number AND invoice ID. As I said, with those 2, you can access all the Tax and W2 docs the petitioner files on CEAC website. Medical exam steps requires that you take the appointment letter with you. So that could easily fall in the hand of a bad person. I am not sure if I can explain more that this

Timeline
On 7/1/2022 at 4:29 PM, JeanneAdil said:

but u did

"NVC / Embassy IV procedure does not protect the Petitioner's sensitive and confidential data."

1.  Just go to google and put in your name to do a research and u would be surprised what pops up

2. your info ,  name ,  SS#,  family names,  address,  income,  and all is on so many different websites like your bank ,  insurance company(s),  dr office,  SS office,  IRS just to name a few,/  even the license plate on your car has info that a police office can read 

and how do scammers get into your accounts by finding out your password??   mostly they go to sites like Facebook and ask  things like "what animal would u be in u were an animal?   what is your favorite color ?   what is your favorite food?   where would you go on vacation?  ocean or mountains?

what is your favorite band or singer (big way to figure out age there)"  keep answering these types of random type questions and a good IT person/ scammer can figure out your password and everything he needs to know to get into your very private accounts

and so many list their DOB,   high school ,  college ,  date of marriage city and state they live in

u r not protected 

I don't how to answer you. Your way of thinking is wrong and not all what you say is correct so I am just going to pass , it  is getting out of the point. I appreciate your input though 

Timeline
On 7/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, JeanneAdil said:

not knocking the OP

it was hard for me to send thru the Mail (back before online submissions )  all my personal info 

especially when we are warned "don't give out your SS # and this personal and very private information/  its hard

its hard to trust the USPS to mail naruralization ceriificate to get US passport or your passport for renewal  

its doesn't get any easier  when u apply for SS retirement and medicare and u have to ,  AGAIN ,   send original birth certificate and other documents to collect benefits but that the way government systems are set up.

complaining to NVC and embassy???? Better to write to both your Senators and House Rep and tell them ,  the system needs correction especially with all the fraud and scammer issues out there now /  start a petition to Congress and ask for signatures 

If u r not part of the solution,  you are part of the problem

The suggestion for reach out to Rep or Senate is a good point. I think it will be better to start with NVC though, because this is an obvious "vulnerability" that I don't expect them to turn down and it dos not need a lot of work to fix. 

Timeline
On 7/1/2022 at 11:04 PM, Rocio0010 said:

So you’re going to complain about something that hasn’t happened to you, but could happen? 
Do you have any idea of how many times you’ll have to give your info to the US government, such as SSN, income, W2s, etc? Correct. You guessed it. Every year when you file taxes.

And since you’re filing for an immigration benefit, and you’re just starting, there are many more instances in which you’ll have to give them your information. So I doubt that complaining about something that can happen, but hasn’t happened to you, would be helpful. And I’m not being negative, I’m just being honest.

Thank you for the feedback. I think you still mis-understand my point:  The problem is not in the government officials accessing these sensitive docs. THe problem is the middle man ( printing your doc or processing file during the medical Exam). 

Timeline
On 7/2/2022 at 1:39 AM, ROK2USA said:

They cannot access any of the petitioner's sensitive data uploaded to CEAC. 

All of the petitioner's data cannot be downloaded/viewed on CEAC. A message stating it is sensitive data appears when you try to view it after upload.

What stage of the process are you on? Have you attempted to download any of the petitioner's documents uploaded to CEAC?  

The beneficiary's data is viewable though... but the medical facility (I'm going to) will be seeing all the information uploaded because I have to bring my passport and identity card to the medical exam. 

1. With invoice ID and Case number you can access all the files that you (as petitioner)  filed through NVC. You can also download them  (https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx) . That is a fact and I tried it already
  2. Invoice ID and case number are in the appt letter from NVC
  3. I am in the medical exam stage, next will be the interview   
  4. Medical stuff is not my concern , my concern is mainly the SSN. 

This is the process for medical exam as stated by NVC

image.thumb.png.83ff584234aaedde49f5b6686c2618f0.png

This is an example of NVC appointment letter. it has invoice ID and case number

image.thumb.png.78417a4f34bf886419919d35d5ffc49f.png

This the NVC website. all you need is the invoice ID and case number and you will get access to all the files : Income tax, W2, names.... 

image.thumb.png.9d04491858db54283668c69ba2f0caa0.png

Timeline

To wrap this up, Unfortunately I did not get any actual feedback from someone going through a Complaint process.

1. I already have a work around for this, I will test it then see how it goes
  2. For the complaint I guess I will have to explore it and find out. 

Again, thank you all for the feedback. What I shared is an actual concern but people don't pay attention to it. Don't look at doctor's offices and businesses in 3rd word country like in the US. They will not care about your information, they don't even know (most of the time) that's sensitive.  The way I look at it, is printing that document through someone or print it my self and igve it to the doctor is a high risk it falls to a bad person's hands and use it to get all they need for identity theft. 

2 hours ago, stm said:

The NVC appointment letter contain case number AND invoice ID. As I said, with those 2, you can access all the Tax and W2 docs the petitioner files on CEAC website. Medical exam steps requires that you take the appointment letter with you. So that could easily fall in the hand of a bad person. I am not sure if I can explain more that this

And I am not sure if I can explain this more:  if someone working in that clinic wanted to perpetuate fraud, they have ample sensitive info on you already, without needing the letter, case number or invoice ID.

Filed: Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

And I am not sure if I can explain this more:  if someone working in that clinic wanted to perpetuate fraud, they have ample sensitive info on you already, without needing the letter, case number or invoice ID.

Adding on to this- not just any random Dr can complete the medical. They have to be a civil surgeon which requires specific certification(s) and must follow the guidelines in the technical instructions including record keeping and privacy guidelines.

I would suggest to the OP to research a bit further, starting with the Ombudsman website. The Ombudsman office handles complaints and issues with policies and would be the ones to complain to if one wanted to complain. There are periodic reports issued (I think every quarter) and advocacy groups that submit issues.  Perhaps reach out to one of them? 

But honestly as others have said there is only so much one can do to protect their personal information.  Most government agencies and corporations handle sensitive data with care and yeah of course privacy experts would say it could be better but its currently at what is considered acceptable.  You can look into private companies who sell extra protection services, lifelock is a company that comes to mind. I don't have any specific knowledge about them and are not recommending you use them. 

5 hours ago, stm said:
  1. With invoice ID and Case number you can access all the files that you (as petitioner)  filed through NVC. You can also download them  (https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx) . That is a fact and I tried it already
  2. Invoice ID and case number are in the appt letter from NVC
  3. I am in the medical exam stage, next will be the interview   
  4. Medical stuff is not my concern , my concern is mainly the SSN. 

This is the process for medical exam as stated by NVC

image.thumb.png.83ff584234aaedde49f5b6686c2618f0.png

This is an example of NVC appointment letter. it has invoice ID and case number

image.thumb.png.78417a4f34bf886419919d35d5ffc49f.png

This the NVC website. all you need is the invoice ID and case number and you will get access to all the files : Income tax, W2, names.... 

image.thumb.png.9d04491858db54283668c69ba2f0caa0.png

What are you talking about?

Once uploaded you CANNOT download any of the petitioner's documents.

CEAC does not allow you to download said documents because they contain sensitive information.

Your concerns are unfounded as NVC has already flagged this as a potential issue. 

Timeline
13 hours ago, stm said:

Thank you for the feedback. I think you still mis-understand my point:  The problem is not in the government officials accessing these sensitive docs. THe problem is the middle man ( printing your doc or processing file during the medical Exam). 

We all understand and if u have a problem -a real problem-from someone stealing your ID at the embassy and can prove it , then and only then can u address this situation with the embassy

remember all workers there have to sign a confidentiality agreement

6 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

We all understand and if u have a problem -a real problem-from someone stealing your ID at the embassy and can prove it , then and only then can u address this situation with the embassy

remember all workers there have to sign a confidentiality agreement

OP's worries are unfounded. 

You cannot access any of the petitioner's documents after they've been submitted to CEAC.

I tried today and I was shown a "this document is not viewable because it contains sensitive information" message.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

OP's worries are unfounded. 

You cannot access any of the petitioner's documents after they've been submitted to CEAC.

I tried today and I was shown a "this document is not viewable because it contains sensitive information" message.

I know

that is why i said if u have a problem -a real problem and can prove it 

it seems unreal  to create things that don't exist 

there's no real problem here 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.