Shark777

NVC - foreign income I-864

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

First off, I just want to say that this VJ community has been a huge help and I am so grateful for its existence. 😀

I have received 3 messages from NVC at the exact same time:

1.) This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted...

2.) Please submit (name's) Evidence of Income

3.) Please submit every 2021 W2/1099

I currently work and live in China. I incorrectly put this Chinese income in Part 6, Number 7 on I-864 (current annual income) , even though it is foreign and will not continue after the move to the US. I am assuming this is why I got RFE # 2 and 3.

I am going to upload evidence of income for this Chinese job (employment letter, contract) and a statement stating I do not have W2s since I don't earn USD.

FYI - I am using assets to meet the requirements of the affidavit.

My question is: Should I upload a new, correct I-864 with current annual income as $0 even though they didn't ask for it and have already accepted I-864?

Thank you so much in advance if you are willing to help!

Edited by MarctheShark

4 minutes ago, MarctheShark said:

First off, I just want to say that this VJ community has been a huge help and I am so grateful for its existence. 😀

1.) This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted...

3.) Please submit every 2021 W2/1099

I currently work and live in China. I incorrectly put this Chinese income in Part 6, Number 7 on I-864 (current annual income) , even though it is foreign and will not continue after the move to the US. I am assuming this is why I got RFE # 2 and 3.

I am going to upload evidence of income for this Chinese job (employment letter, contract) and a statement stating I do not have W2s since I don't earn USD.

My question is: Should I upload a new, correct I-864 with current annual income as $0 even though they didn't ask for it and have already accepted I-864?

Why would you upload document to pertaining to income that will not be considered  in your case?   You don’t get extra brownie points or anything for that.

They are telling you to either find a qualified joint sponsor, or return to the US to work so that you are eligible to sponsor an immigrant. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Why would you upload document to pertaining to income that will not be considered  in your case?   You don’t get extra brownie points or anything for that.

They are telling you to either find a qualified joint sponsor, or return to the US to work so that you are eligible to sponsor an immigrant. 

Thanks for the response! It is my understanding that RFE # 1 is a boilerplate message sent to every person using assets to meet the requirements instead of income. My assets are comfortably over the 3x minimum.

I am thinking about uploading documents that pertain to income because they asked for it. Do you suggest not uploading evidence of income and upload a new, correct I-864 with current annual income as $0?

Edited by MarctheShark

Timeline
2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Best bet is a new I-864 stating ZERO income and well documented liquid assets.  Then, when you get the message that says income is not sufficient and you MAY submit  joint sponsor but the Consular Officer will decide, just ignore that message.

Okay, I will upload a new I-864. Thanks so much!

Timeline
56 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Best bet is a new I-864 stating ZERO income and well documented liquid assets.  Then, when you get the message that says income is not sufficient and you MAY submit  joint sponsor but the Consular Officer will decide, just ignore that message.

The original I-864 is from April and since I am uploading a new I-864, do I have to also update all of the asset documentation to reflect the last couple of months (May and June)?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, MarctheShark said:

Keep in mind that the interviewing officer is not obligated to accept your assets instead of US income, especially if those assets are located in a foreign country.  In our case, $10 million of liquid assets in a Canadian bank would not have been sufficient.  The officer would only consider assets on American soil, or a joint sponsor, or a combination.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Family One said:

Keep in mind that the interviewing officer is not obligated to accept your assets instead of US income, especially if those assets are located in a foreign country.  In our case, $10 million of liquid assets in a Canadian bank would not have been sufficient.  The officer would only consider assets on American soil, or a joint sponsor, or a combination.

Thank you for the heads up. I have my fingers crossed regarding using assets, as I don't really have anyone to be my joint sponsor. Almost all of the assets are in USD in US banks, so hopefully that helps

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
17 hours ago, MarctheShark said:

The original I-864 is from April and since I am uploading a new I-864, do I have to also update all of the asset documentation to reflect the last couple of months (May and June)?

Time to start thinking about minimum requirements and focus on what will present the best case for you.  Of course, everything should be current.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
5 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Time to start thinking about minimum requirements and focus on what will present the best case for you.  Of course, everything should be current.

Thanks for everything you do on this platform, sir👍

On 7/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, MarctheShark said:

3.) Please submit every 2021 W2/1099- Upload a statement explaining you do not receive W2s/1099s. There are some examples on this forum. 

I currently work and live in China. I incorrectly put this Chinese income in Part 6, Number 7 on I-864 (current annual income) , even though it is foreign and will not continue after the move to the US. I am assuming this is why I got RFE # 2 and 3.-Did you upload a tax return or a tax transcript? If you uploaded a tax return you must upload W2s/1099s. It is in the instructions. You are also required to upload proof of income if you do not make enough to support the beneficiary. 

I am going to upload evidence of income for this Chinese job (employment letter, contract) and a statement stating I do not have W2s since I don't earn USD.- Good idea. This is what we did and we were DQ'ed. 

My question is: Should I upload a new, correct I-864 with current annual income as $0 even though they didn't ask for it and have already accepted I-864?Resubmit a new I-864 and resubmit ALL financial evidence again. Tax return/tax transcript. Statement about W2's/1099s. Proof of assets. I've seen people receive RFEs for financial information they already uploaded after they submit a new I-864.

Edited by ROK2USA

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you made a mistake by including your foreign earned income on your I-864. I'm three weeks after the OP question so I don't know if I'm late here. There is no need to edit your 864 by removing your current income earned in China.

They just won't consider it towards meeting the financial requirement to sponsor a visa.

RFE 1, 2, and 3 are all because they want proof of you earning income which will continue once you move back to the US.

If you don't have that, you can try and give more detailed information regarding the savings in USD you've got.

Like others here have already mentioned, assets don't always work to meet the financial requirements even if you're well over 3x the poverty guidelines.

If its meant to be, you'll find a way!

• 5 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.