Stefanie&Danny

Pilot Conversion/Training on EAD while waiting for I-485

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Help!My husband just got his EAD approved (Yay!).We are still waiting to hear about our Appointment for Greencard interview.

He is a EASA licensed pilot(European pilot).He needs to convert his license to a FAA(US pilot).This would require two weeks worth of training to convert.Our question is …would this training be allowed under the EAD considering it would be to get a job as a pilot in the US or be considered school?We have come too far to take any chances.Thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, Stefanie&Danny said:

Help!My husband just got his EAD approved (Yay!).We are still waiting to hear about our Appointment for Greencard interview.

He is a EASA licensed pilot(European pilot).He needs to convert his license to a FAA(US pilot).This would require two weeks worth of training to convert.Our question is …would this training be allowed under the EAD considering it would be to get a job as a pilot in the US or be considered school?We have come too far to take any chances.Thanks in advance

That is less of an immigration question and more of a question for the FAA itself, since pilots in the US now must have green cards, and my understanding is that includes for training.  The EAD is not the same evidence of status as the actual green card.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

That is less of an immigration question and more of a question for the FAA itself, since pilots in the US now must have green cards, and my understanding is that includes for training.  The EAD is not the same evidence of status as the actual green card.

Great info.He has has had a really hard time connecting with anyone from FAA as they are still working remotely.But,he has made some great connections.Thanks for this info,we will look further into it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Stefanie&Danny said:

Look into Flight Safety International and see if they can assist with training . They are EASA and FAA  certified and train across many aircraft and with many nationalities .. 

With his EAD he can work if the company is employing him as he trains .. or study if he is self paying 

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Look into Flight Safety International and see if they can assist with training . They are EASA and FAA  certified and train across many aircraft and with many nationalities .. 

With his EAD he can work if the company is employing him as he trains .. or study if he is self paying 

Thank you!He is going to call today.He has had a few companies that have connected about working for their companies.Hoping they can bring him on prior to conversion to assist with the ATP

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Stefanie&Danny said:

Thank you!He is going to call today.He has had a few companies that have connected about working for their companies.Hoping they can bring him on prior to conversion to assist with the ATP

Its a very good time to be here and looking for ATP work !! He can certainly train and work for them but the actual FAA endorsement to give him PIC wont happen until he has his GC. Hope its fast for him! 

Edited by Lil bear

19 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

My understanding was that pilot training/paid work has required LPR status post 9/11.

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

My understanding was that pilot training/paid work has required LPR status post 9/11.

Thats why i suggested FSI as they train non LPRs  all the time and he may be able to get everything other than the final endorsement  done while waiting for the AOS   FAA are a funny beast for sure 

6 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Thats why i suggested FSI as they train non LPRs  all the time and he may be able to get everything other than the final endorsement  done while waiting for the AOS   FAA are a funny beast for sure 

That organization somehow bypasses federal/FAA regulations?

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

That organization somehow bypasses federal/FAA regulations?

No …  they train overseas pilots in their US facilities so he may be able to complete the required hours and SIM time training as an overseas trainee and then take that paperwork for  FAA certification once he has his GC 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
16 hours ago, Stefanie&Danny said:

Our question is …would this training be allowed under the EAD considering it would be to get a job as a pilot in the US or be considered school?We have come too far to take any chances.Thanks in advance

That's exactly what the EAD is for. To be able to work while waiting for the actual Greencard.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

That's exactly what the EAD is for. To be able to work while waiting for the actual Greencard.

Absolutely.That,I understand.My question was geared toward the school/training to convert his license.Not the actual work itself.Thank You:) 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Stefanie&Danny said:

Absolutely.That,I understand.My question was geared toward the school/training to convert his license.Not the actual work itself.Thank You:) 

I wasn't too sure what you meant and since you already had so many specific answers I thought I cover the bases 🤣

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.