Skychi

Visiting the USA to see my girlfriend on an ESTA should I say girlfriend or friend?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I visited my Fiancé (now husband) a few times on the esta, no issues what so ever! And my sister has been visiting her boyfriend many times over the course of the past 4 years.. She always does the max of 90 days (not recommended) and she did have to go to secondary twice, but not actually because of visiting her boyfriend, they thought she came to work illegally as a seasonal worker since she always comes around the same time of the year for 90 days. Both times they took her phone but obviously couldnt find anything and she was good to go. 

I think with you only visiting a short period of time and having a stable job back home it should not be an issue! (as everyone above said, at the officers discretion obviously) 

Good luck :)

23 hours ago, Skychi said:

Hi all, I am 29 years old male with a full time job (Technical Engineer for Local Government) in UK London, I have visited the USA twice within the last year (under 2 weeks), the last time I travelled was in mid May 2022 for 10 days and both times I have them I was visiting friends and family, I’m getting a little worried that it is becoming suspicious. I have scheduled another visit last August for 9 days to spend time with her (almost running out of vacation days from work) lol

Should I just tell them I am visiting my girlfriend for an X amount of days/weeks? 
Am I allowed to visit my girlfriend on n ESTA?

Does anyone think this will be a problem? I would like to hear some of your past experiences.

Well let's see... my husband visited me many times over the course of 10 years using the VWP. We were friends, boyfriend/girlfriend, and fiance. He got to know the guys at the airport well. You need to always be honest when asked, and make sure to spend plenty of time in your own country. Having evidence of returning home and travel insurance is also helpful. The only time there was ever a 'problem' was his first visit, where he was taken for additional questioning. And for every question asked, he had an answer. They wanted to know pretty much everything about me and my family, and we'd known each other so well by then, there was nothing they could toss at him to trip him up. 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

For immigration newbies reading from all those above saying their significant others visited so many times and nothing happened and thinking they can also do the same, remember something.

There are different sets of rules for visitors from affluent western countries (which most of those sharing their experience are)  and visitors from “other” countries.

I can bet my last $0.02 that the same pattern of visits for someone from Somalia or Ghana would lead expeditiously to a voiding of their visa and a refused entry.

Edited by African Zealot

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

2 minutes ago, African Zealot said:

I can bet my last $0.02 that the same pattern of visits for someone from Somalia or Ghana would lead expeditiously to a voiding of their visa and a refused entry.

Visitors from Somalia or Ghana do not qualify for ESTA, which is in the OP's question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Visitors from Somalia or Ghana do not qualify for ESTA, which is in the OP's question.

And which is why I specifically said visa in my answer.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.