pablo474

PURPOSE OF THE M-477 CHECKLIST

11 posts in this topic

I am unclear on the function of the M-477 checklist. We had downloaded it along with the N-400 form until we found that everything can be done online.

However, the checklist is never referenced in the online application--nor in those instructions--and yet there are a few items on the checklist that were not addressed online.

I am thinking the checklist may be meant to supplement the hard copy application method but that the INS folks simply failed to get it all synched.

Edited by pablo474

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What are you applying for? ROC, N400 ?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

If you are filing it online, just go with the flow online pages as it progresses. The online application covers everything so no need to worry.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 hours ago, pablo474 said:

Well, considering how many glitches there are with the online process, etc., it's always possible to miss something that could cause delays or other problems.

I'm still hoping to understand how and when the M-477 checklist is used. 

The checklist is not meant to be submitted whether you are filing paper or online. The checklist is just meant to help you gather documents. 

What in the checklist is not addressed online?

Note that the online application presents subsequent questions based on previous questions.

The following item in the M-477 Checklist, is not addressed anywhere in N-400 online form or instructions (nor is the checklist mentioned in either document): "If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, send: All correspondence with the IRS..."

I note that the latest M-477 is dated 11/2016 which makes me think something changed in their process and no one thought about updating the Checklist (or that it was updated and didn't get published).

There is a question in Section 12 "Have you EVER not filed...tax" but that is a different question and there is no follow up for a "no" answer.

"Not filing" and "failing to file" are different; "not filing" could be due to no requirement to file whereas "failing to file" always means there was a requirement to file.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 hours ago, pablo474 said:

Well, considering how many glitches there are with the online process, etc., it's always possible to miss something that could cause delays or other problems.

I'm still hoping to understand how and when the M-477 checklist is used. 

I defer to the USCIS instructions pdf for the N 400. Much more recent edition online than the M 477 you speak about. On the same USCIS page as the N400 and links to both online and paper filing 

Yes, the current N-400 expires 9/30/22 so that is the latest. I cannot find the M-477 searching forms at the USCIS website (but search also fails to show N-400). Google yields both of the below documents and both are dated 11/2016 (M-477 is contained within M-476).

Maybe the links failed to be deleted so Google still finds them--dunno (common issue with sloppy "webmastering").

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-477.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-476.pdf

So, since the checklist seems not to be referenced in any current docs, perhaps it is defunct.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 hours ago, pablo474 said:

Yes, the current N-400 expires 9/30/22 so that is the latest. I cannot find the M-477 searching forms at the USCIS website (but search also fails to show N-400). Google yields both of the below documents and both are dated 11/2016 (M-477 is contained within M-476).

Maybe the links failed to be deleted so Google still finds them--dunno (common issue with sloppy "webmastering").

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-477.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-476.pdf

So, since the checklist seems not to be referenced in any current docs, perhaps it is defunct.

Not sure where you are looking on the USCIS site.  Here is the link. 
https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

The N400 form on this page is current until replaced .. the date to which you refer OMB 9/30/2022 is an internal government reference date and is not an “expiry” date. Thats why it's critical that you use the info on the USCIS website over other sites. The form available on this page will be the current form   USCIS will replace it when it is updated   

And also .. the up to date checklist is also on this same webpage under the tab labeled Checklist, fees etc 

Edited by Lil bear

Odd, I cannot find a way to reply to another member--I can only see a REPLY box at the bottom of the page so it looks like I'm replying to myself when posted.

The M-477 does not come up when searching All Forms at https://www.uscis.gov/ and clicking at top Forms followed by All Forms on the left.

I think I'll give up on the convoluted website and just stick with what is asked in the N-400 online application. The checklist at https://www.uscis.gov/n-400 contains only a few items vs. two full pages for the Nov 2016 version of the M-477 (which is also found on the same page under Forms and Document Downloads).

I even found another version of the Nov 2016 Guide to Naturalization, M-476, which clearly states it is out-of-date but could be useful. Looks like they are shorthanded to the point they cannot update to current--at least someone had the diligence to make the out-of-date note.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.