Chelp5

PTIN CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST IRS

14 posts in this topic

Last year I got a job as tax preparer,for that u need to pay a fee to IRS for a PTIN number. A bit ago I got an email about a class action lawsuit that a involves all tax preparers who paid any fees suing IRS because they considered the fee unconstitutional, I learned that because I paid a fee also,I am now a part of that class action lawsuit. I have the option to opt out, I have a conditional green card (adjusting from K1 visa). Should I opt out or stay in? Will this have any effect on immigration related things? Like will USCIS consider it a bad thing if I stay in? Thankd for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The attorney make a killing with CAL, everyone in on it gets penny's.  It will not hurt you either way if you stay in or opt out. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How much of the attorney fee are u expected to pay out to get $35.95 back ?

especially since the IRS site tells about this fee out in the open and its pretty clear its nonrefundable 

is this really worth it?

i can see IRS changing this and charging 2x's as much to renew it  

BTW  most USC's try not to upset IRS (we say "don't upset the apple cart") 

but if u don't care that IRS will carefully inspect every return u do after being part of a lawsuit and u really need the $35.95 and can afford a lawyer in a class action suit to get this nominal amount back,  go for it.

Most first-time PTIN applicants can obtain a PTIN online in about 15 minutes. The fee is $35.95 and is non-refundable. View this checklist to get started.

And what technical issue does this involve that IRS made an error on

Did the Attorney state the issue?

Did the Attorney inform the people of the following?

The IRS can sue taxpayers in order to collect back taxes and penalties. Taxpayers can likewise sue the IRS, but only for technical matters such as collecting a refund that is owed or as a countersuit to an IRS lawsuit. 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

especially since the IRS site tells about this fee out in the open and its pretty clear its nonrefundable 

is this really worth it?

but if u don't care that IRS will carefully inspect every return u do after being part of a lawsuit and u really need the $35.95 and can afford a lawyer in a class action suit to get this nominal amount back,  go for it.

Most first-time PTIN applicants can obtain a PTIN online in about 15 minutes. The fee is $35.95 and is non-refundable. View this checklist to get started.

The IRS can sue taxpayers in order to collect back taxes and penalties. Taxpayers can likewise sue the IRS, but only for technical matters such as collecting a refund that is owed or as a countersuit to an IRS lawsuit. 

He won't be paying anything to be in on the lawsuit. They just include everyone in on it and then get a cut when they win.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

is this really worth it?

is this really worth it?

I didnt volunteer to become a part of the class action lawsuit, I just got an email that because I paid a PTIN fee within a certain time period ,im automatically a part of this class action lawsuit. I don't have much experience with things like that so I just wanted to make sure if I should send a letter to opt out or let it be, I wanted to make sure there were no USCIS/immigration related effects of either.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chelp5 said:

I didnt volunteer to become a part of the class action lawsuit, I just got an email that because I paid a PTIN fee within a certain time period ,im automatically a part of this class action lawsuit. I don't have much experience with things like that so I just wanted to make sure if I should send a letter to opt out or let it be, I wanted to make sure there were no USCIS/immigration related effects of either.

up to u if u want to add your name but what technical matter is the issue

its fairly clear

remember that anytime we have to do a job such as this to serve the public (hair dresser,   pharmacy assistant,   barber,  etc)  we pay a fee for our certification

that's very normal

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

He won't be paying anything to be in on the lawsuit. They just include everyone in on it and then get a cut when they win.

Win against the IRS is a joke 

but i have seen crazier law suits 

a lady once sued a state as a skunk sprayed her laundry hanging outside

and the state won as the lady did not put up a no trespassing sign for the skunk to read

True story

Timeline
17 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

and the state won as the lady did not put up a no trespassing sign for the skunk to read

True story

Well yes it's a crazy thought, but I just wanted to point out he doesn't have to pay anything. 

Now that if funny :rofl:

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

15 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Yeah a dollar or so, these class actions rarely pay out any substantial sums to the regular guy and like what was pointed out the lawyers make the killing!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

15 hours ago, Chelp5 said:

Sometimes things have a way of coming back to bite you hard in the you know what!!! Dealing with a class action with IRS and you are going through immigration asking for a benefit! Probably nothing would come back to haunt you, but you want to give yourself every chance at success, is it worth it for a couple of dollars!!!!! Really up to you, but I know what I would do. We have to lay low while we  are involved with immigration because things do come back to bite and hard I might add!!!

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

4 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

Sometimes things have a way of coming back to bite you hard in the you know what!!! Dealing with a class action with IRS and you are going through immigration asking for a benefit! Probably nothing would come back to haunt you, but you want to give yourself every chance at success, is it worth it for a couple of dollars!!!!! Really up to you, but I know what I would do. We have to lay low while we  are involved with immigration because things do come back to bite and hard I might add!!!

I sent out a letter (exclusion request form) asking to be excluded from the class action lawsuit ,thanks for everyone's help. 

18 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

True story

I sent out letter ( exclusion request form) asking to be excluded from the class action lawsuit. Thanks for everyone's help.

38 minutes ago, Chelp5 said:

I sent out a letter (exclusion request form) asking to be excluded from the class action lawsuit ,thanks for everyone's help. 

Did not intend to scare you. I only gave my honest opinion! Anyway good call!

Citizenship Complete!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.