ZackMoonyHam

Sponsoring mother, Currently unemployed

18 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

Here is the landscape:

I'm a single father, living with my 3month old daughter.

Currently claiming unemployment benefit because I can't work on-site with an infant on hand, been unemployed since mid February 2022 .

I do earn well above the poverty rate and we are a household of 2 (My daughter and I). I can get back to work once my mother comes over.

would selecting 'Unemployed' (Form i-864, Part 6) negatively effect my mother's case at NVC or should I wait to get a job first and then proceed?

Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You do not earn well above the poverty rate.  You are unemployed.  A job in the future that you don't have yet doesn't count.  

Being unemployed will negatively affect your I-864 for your mother.  Do you have assets?  Do you have a Joint Sponsor?

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You do not earn well above the poverty rate.  You are unemployed.  A job in the future that you don't have yet doesn't count.  

Being unemployed will negatively affect your I-864 for your mother.  Do you have assets?  Do you have a Joint Sponsor?

I do own the house that I live in, and a decent size savings account. Would that help?

Timeline
Just now, ZackMoonyHam said:

I do own the house that I live in, and a decent size savings account. Would that help?

Your house doesn't count.  Your savings might.  Do you have 5X the amount of the poverty line for your household size?

Just now, aaron2020 said:

Your house doesn't count.  Your savings might.  Do you have 5X the amount of the poverty line for your household size?

Yes, I do earn at that level. Me and my daughter are the only people in the household.

Timeline

Yes, I do earn at that level. Me and my daughter are the only people in the household.

You do not earn at that level.  You are unemployed.  

Savings is money in the bank.  It's not earning.  

Your household is 3.  Do you have at least $150,000 in the bank for more than 6 months?

4 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You do not earn at that level.  You are unemployed.  

Savings is money in the bank.  It's not earning.  

Your household is 3.  Do you have at least $150,000 in the bank for more than 6 months?

Yes I do. Thanks for discussing this with me.

36 minutes ago, ZackMoonyHam said:

I can get back to work once my mother comes over.

You may want to rethink this.  Most people can't afford to be without a salary for several years.

Also, you will want to consider the plan for your mother's health insurance, as she will not be eligible for medicare or an employer-based plan if she is coming over to be the babysitter.  

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You may want to rethink this.  Most people can't afford to be without a salary for several years.

Also, you will want to consider the plan for your mother's health insurance, as she will not be eligible for medicare or an employer-based plan if she is coming over to be the babysitter.  

Thanks for your response.

I'm not planning on staying home forever. I'm pretty confident that I can handle all the expenses once I get some help with the kiddo.

I have already made the payment. Do you think I should wait until I get a job to proceed with the i-864?

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

no reason not to start working now

Texas has a child care stimulus program to aid u

https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/child-care-stimulus-resources

This helps. Thanks. I didn't know this program existed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This helps. Thanks. I didn't know this program existed.

There are usually sources to help what we would call "displaced home makers"

not just for women who loose a husband or job but for either parent who needs help

this one is because of covid and the covid relief bill that was passsed

there is help for a parent caring for a baby 

allah akbar there is help

37 minutes ago, ZackMoonyHam said:

Thanks for your response.

I'm not planning on staying home forever. I'm pretty confident that I can handle all the expenses once I get some help with the kiddo.

I have already made the payment. Do you think I should wait until I get a job to proceed with the i-864?

I’m a little confused as to how it doesn’t make sense to pay for childcare and go back to work now, if your earnings potential is that good. As others have said, your current (actual) earnings are what matters for sponsorship.  So if you are not earning an income right now, that’s what matters. If you have investments that are paying income well above the poverty level without working , that will be fine too.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Childcare should only run you around $100-$150/week depending on your area. If you have the potential to earn over $50,000/year it would be worth going back to work and paying childcare rather than living off your savings for 2-3 years waiting for your mother to come. I believe the cut-off for unemployment is 26 weeks so you only have about 3 months of benefits left.

48 minutes ago, belinda63 said:

Childcare should only run you around $100-$150/week depending on your area. If you have the potential to earn over $50,000/year it would be worth going back to work and paying childcare rather than living off your savings for 2-3 years waiting for your mother to come. I believe the cut-off for unemployment is 26 weeks so you only have about 3 months of benefits left.

And that's all I wanted. Can't wait to get back to work but having an infant on my hand is quite a ride. :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.