Aviro

The lenght of relationship for k1 visa

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Aviro said:

Hi everybody,

Is it chanceless applying for k1 visa if you are in relationship for half year. 

Of course we met a few times and we have spent time together like 4 weeks so far. 

Thank you all, 

If you can meet, have you considered marriage and a CR-1 spousal visa?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can negatively affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire with no appeal

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US meaning the clock for citizenship eligibility has started.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

If you can meet, have you considered a CR-1 spousal visa?

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire with no appeal

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

Great! Thanks a lot. 

Very useful information. 

But, for cr1, you must be married officially for more than 2 years ? Or did I get it wrong ?

Timeline
Just now, Aviro said:

Great! Thanks a lot. 

Very useful information. 

But, for cr1, you must be married officially for more than 2 years ? Or did I get it wrong ?

No.  You can file immediately after marriage.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, Aviro said:

That's awesome! Does it matter if we get married out of the states then ? Like in Europe? 

Doesn't matter.  You need a legal marriage certificate from the country in which you marry.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Doesn't matter.  You need a legal marriage certificate from the country in which you marry.

Sir, 

I got some questions regarding cr1 visa if you would have time to answer, I'll appreciate it.

I just read and research about cr1.

Can my fiance come to me (Europe) and waiting while cr visa is pending ? 

Because we heard, cr1 takes for a long time compared to k1.

Can she file affidavit of support when she is there and after approval moving here ? 

Or must she stay there ? 

Because, we don't have joint sponsor!

There would be no problem with domicile because she got her mailing address and house even she is abroad but she has to give her job up if she wanna come to me. So, she has no income then. 

Many thanks in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Aviro said:

Can my fiance come to me (Europe) and waiting while cr visa is pending ? 

Because we heard, cr1 takes for a long time compared to k1.

Can she file affidavit of support when she is there and after approval moving here ? 

Or must she stay there ? 

Because, we don't have joint sponsor!

There would be no problem with domicile because she got her mailing address and house even she is abroad but she has to give her job up if she wanna come to me. So, she has no income then. 

Yes, she can live with you in your country some of the time while waiting for the spousal visa process.  Both CR-1 and K-1 are both taking 1-2 years for most couples right now, K-1 is not faster.  If you do not have a qualified joint sponsor, it would be best if she returned to the US to start working again at least 6 months before your visa interview abroad, to provide enough income for the I-864.  Keep doing research to know about the process, documentation needed, evidence of time spent together, etc.  Your USC fiancée, or future wife, should open an account here on Visa Journey to become familiar with the steps involved, since she is the one who has to initiate the process by filing an I-130 if you decide to go for a spousal visa, or an I-129F if you choose the K-1.  Patience is the key for any US immigration journey.  Good luck!  

Timeline
9 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Yes, she can live with you in your country some of the time while waiting for the spousal visa process.  Both CR-1 and K-1 are both taking 1-2 years for most couples right now, K-1 is not faster.  If you do not have a qualified joint sponsor, it would be best if she returned to the US to start working again at least 6 months before your visa interview abroad, to provide enough income for the I-864.  Keep doing research to know about the process, documentation needed, evidence of time spent together, etc.  Your USC fiancée, or future wife, should open an account here on Visa Journey to become familiar with the steps involved, since she is the one who has to initiate the process by filing an I-130 if you decide to go for a spousal visa, or an I-129F if you choose the K-1.  Patience is the key for any US immigration journey.  Good luck!  

Thanks a lot for information. 

apparently not all informations are correct on the internet😅

I thought  k1 is much faster and easier to get. 

Because our goal is to be together as soon as possible. 

3 hours ago, Aviro said:

I thought  k1 is much faster and easier to get. 

Because our goal is to be together as soon as possible. 

It was, years ago.

Now, the length of time for both visas start to finish is about the same.  Drawback to K-1 is not being able to travel or work for the first 8 months or so after arriving in the US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you have found your "Life Partner" I would recommend the CR-1.  Over 18 months of frustration and expense of the AOS we wish every day that  we would have went the CR-1 route.  So many problems trying to get your life established that can be overcome with the CR-1.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

To add to this more concretely, all K1s are taking over a year and a half right now due to USCIS taking 13 months to process the first petition (the I-129F). It's universally 2+ months from the approval (much more if your embassy is backlogged), so the time stacks pretty quickly. As your fiance is Belgian, he is also permitted to visit you in the states while the CR1 is pending.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

Timeline

Thank you for reaction and sharing your experiences. I think that should reconsider what visa are we going to choose.

the only reason why we wanna go for k1 was that we heard k1 visa is faster to get and there is no administrative process. But cr1 visa can result in ap which can take forever and it takes more longer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.