CanadaEx

Late for Naturalization Interview

7 posts in this topic

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, I was late for Naturalization today. I was traveling from Bellingham Wa, to Seattle WA, according to google map it should take me an hour an 45 mins. I got there late because of collision on highway, though the security guy told me to proceed, however, the interviewer told me I am free to go home. once home, I looked into my USCIS account, and there was already a letter with summary below:
      You were scheduled to appear for an interview on your application for Naturalization on at 12:00PM. Our records
       indicate you failed to appear for this interview. You have thirty (30) days from the date of this notice to explain why you did not appear. Failure to respond
        to this notice will result in your application being administratively closed without further action.

So, I quickly prepared a letter letter:

USCIS

12500 TUKWILA INTERNATIONAL BLVD

SECOND FLOOR

SEATTLE, WA

re:Lateness for appointment letter

Dear USCIS Officer,

Attached below my reasons for being late for the appointment on. As noted below I left home in Bellingham on 10:00 AM.  I was able to make COSTCO gas station at 16616 Twin Lakes Ave, Marysville, WA 98271 to get gas at 10:55 AM. Please see receipt attached. Image of receipt with time stamp here.

According to Google Map this should get me to your office at 11:45 AM. Please see below - Google direction attached here.

However, there was collision on Higway-5 which I ran into after purchasing gas. Please see below:

image.png.9c5fe711409b2c8c150a2f4e6c5c2229.png

image.png.44a4777fe3158dbff3782ea8a1ca87a1.png

Also, I actually made it to your office, after going through security I went straight to the SECOND FLOOR as was BOLDLY written in the mail sent to me. I was on the SECOND FLOOR for a while together with others waiting for interview. However, I felt concerned that my name was not called, hence I asked someone beside me, and he said I had to check-in downstairs first and obtained a number.

I went downstairs again, and this time the officer asked took my fingerprints, and picture, and she noticed that I was late for my appointment. She suggested to wait in the interview room while she contacted the interviewing officer. She came back shortly, that the interviewing officer said, "I am free to go home because I was an hour late, and I should be expecting a letter in the mail."

Regards,

Applicant.

ASK: is the response above reasonable, or should I look to get a lawyer to respond accordingly? Notice, I applied for citizenship on WAVA because of spousal abuse. Note also, that the pictures above might not be accurate, but I DEFIENETELY saw notice on the highway traffic board that "Collision on left lane southbound I-5 and interstate 259" at Everette that explained the gridlock. If anyone knows where to get accurate traffic report. I will be grateful. Also, 

image.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Wait, you had the naturalization interview at 12:00, left your house at 10:00 knowing it would take an hour and fourth five minutes under normal traffic to get there?! I would have left at 8:00!!!

I usually support DIY, but since this is a VAWA case I would call an attorney.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

@CanadaEx I think your letter can be more succinct.  

“My interview was canceled because I arrived late. My late arrival was because of a traffic accident that slowed traffic on southbound I-5.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What @Mike E said. 

You're clearly upset - understandable. 

Best case is to lay out facts and leave feelings out of it.  If you have to, walk away and revisit tomorrow when you've had a chance to cool off.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you all for your inputs.

In addition, I have spent a whole day trying to get a lawyer to help request a another date in accordance with @Rocio0010's suggestion. However, I have not been able to find one yet. Most replied that they have not done vawa before. Some assure it is not big deal to be late because of collision on highway such as I-5, and to request another date directly. Given that I have 30 days to reply, and felt like I should do something soon therefore, I respectively asked for another date while adding @Mike E's phrase 'My late arrival was because of a traffic accident that slowed traffic on southbound I-5." as the conclusion

Also, I added the receipt of gas purchase, and the parking slip I purchased at the USCIS office. This was also addressed to the benefit center in Missouri. that was the address on the NOA letter., not Seattle where I was asked to go for interview. 

Again, thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 4/29/2022 at 9:25 PM, CanadaEx said:

Hello, I was late for Naturalization today. I was traveling from Bellingham Wa, to Seattle WA, according to google map it should take me an hour an 45 mins. I got there late because of collision on highway, though the security guy told me to proceed, however, the interviewer told me I am free to go home. once home, I looked into my USCIS account, and there was already a letter with summary below:
      You were scheduled to appear for an interview on your application for Naturalization on at 12:00PM. Our records
       indicate you failed to appear for this interview. You have thirty (30) days from the date of this notice to explain why you did not appear. Failure to respond
        to this notice will result in your application being administratively closed without further action.

So, I quickly prepared a letter letter:

USCIS

12500 TUKWILA INTERNATIONAL BLVD

SECOND FLOOR

SEATTLE, WA

re:Lateness for appointment letter

Dear USCIS Officer,

Attached below my reasons for being late for the appointment on. As noted below I left home in Bellingham on 10:00 AM.  I was able to make COSTCO gas station at 16616 Twin Lakes Ave, Marysville, WA 98271 to get gas at 10:55 AM. Please see receipt attached. Image of receipt with time stamp here.

According to Google Map this should get me to your office at 11:45 AM. Please see below - Google direction attached here.

However, there was collision on Higway-5 which I ran into after purchasing gas. Please see below:

image.png.9c5fe711409b2c8c150a2f4e6c5c2229.png

image.png.44a4777fe3158dbff3782ea8a1ca87a1.png

Also, I actually made it to your office, after going through security I went straight to the SECOND FLOOR as was BOLDLY written in the mail sent to me. I was on the SECOND FLOOR for a while together with others waiting for interview. However, I felt concerned that my name was not called, hence I asked someone beside me, and he said I had to check-in downstairs first and obtained a number.

I went downstairs again, and this time the officer asked took my fingerprints, and picture, and she noticed that I was late for my appointment. She suggested to wait in the interview room while she contacted the interviewing officer. She came back shortly, that the interviewing officer said, "I am free to go home because I was an hour late, and I should be expecting a letter in the mail."

Regards,

Applicant.

ASK: is the response above reasonable, or should I look to get a lawyer to respond accordingly? Notice, I applied for citizenship on WAVA because of spousal abuse. Note also, that the pictures above might not be accurate, but I DEFIENETELY saw notice on the highway traffic board that "Collision on left lane southbound I-5 and interstate 259" at Everette that explained the gridlock. If anyone knows where to get accurate traffic report. I will be grateful. Also, 

image.png

Don’t spend money on a lawyer. You had a legitimate reason for being late and all they ask is that you explain the reason. Your response send should be enough and they should reschedule the appointment. They stated you did not show up-which is incorrect-  and you did. Getting a lawyer is a lot of money to pay for fear. You have a valid reason. All the best. 

Edited by kcoyclay1
Correction

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.