tofulollipop

Police certificates for mexican spouse

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Has anyone had any experience filing for a Mexican spouse and knows which police certificates we need? Mexico bureaucracy is crazy! What we have currently is the "constancia de antecedentes no penales federales". Would this be sufficient (I believe as long as it has been taken out in the last 2 years this is sufficient, yes?)? I've also read online that you need the "constancia de datos registrales". Can anyone shed some light on the difference and which one we actually need?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Have you looking in VJ Regional Mexico, Latin,South America  also looking at US Visa Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country for Mexico which should say exacting what they are looking for/will accept.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Troy B said:

Have you looking in VJ Regional Mexico, Latin,South America  also looking at US Visa Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country for Mexico which should say exacting what they are looking for/will accept.

Yes, i had taken a look at that! The reciprocity agreement only says "carta o certificado de no antecedentes no penales". As far as I'm aware, there isn't a document from Mexico that is exactly called that, and they have a bajillion different types of police certificates. My spouse had the same problem when she needed to get police certificates for another purpose. I've seen many other posts here regarding the topic and no clear answer.

12 hours ago, tofulollipop said:

Has anyone had any experience filing for a Mexican spouse and knows which police certificates we need? Mexico bureaucracy is crazy! What we have currently is the "constancia de antecedentes no penales federales". Would this be sufficient (I believe as long as it has been taken out in the last 2 years this is sufficient, yes?)? I've also read online that you need the "constancia de datos registrales". Can anyone shed some light on the difference and which one we actually need?

1. For Mexican nationals in the US that are preparing to go to CDJ ( after an approved i-601 A, for example, they just call the Mexican Consulate in their area, make an appointment to be fingerprinted and get their “ carta de no antecedente penales “ https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/denver/index.php/proteccion-1/cartas-de-no-antecedentes-penales

If your wife is in Mexico, the she just walks in to a State Police and asks for it by name.

2. Where did your wife get her “ Constancia de antecedente no penales federale” ?  Sounds like she did not get the State Police ( Fiscalia) clearance but the other listed in the Visa Reciprocity Table. 

federal record obtained from the General Directorate for the Execution of Sanctions, National Security Commission (Dirección General de Ejecución de Sanciones, Comisión Nacional de Seguridad) located in Mexico City

As long as you check the issuing authority to be either state police or national security, clearance is good.

3. “ Constancia de datos registrales”  is a court record for anyone that has criminal record, so you don’t need it if she’s never had contact w law enforcement in Mexico.https://www.gob.mx/fgr/acciones-y-programas/constancia-de-datos-registrales

4. I have never submitted a Police Clearance that was more than 3 months old..but I could not find a reference to provide you. So perhaps someone else can chime in. 

Police Certificates

Available

Fees:  The fees vary by state.

Document Name:  Carta or Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales

Issuing Authority: State Police (Fiscalía General del Estado)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: The seals, colors and format vary by state.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   The issuing authority title varies by state.

Registration Criteria:  The registration criteria vary by state.

Procedure for Obtaining: Contact the individual State Police for instructions.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are not available.

Alternate Documents: If the state police record is unavailable, visa applicants must provide a federal record called a “Carta de No Antecedentes Penales” from the Dirección General de Ejecución de Sanciones, Comisión Nacional de Seguridad. To make the request, applicants must provide the following documentation:

For Mexican Nationals:

• Mexican Voter ID Card from the Instituto Federal Electoral (original and a copy)
  • Birth Certificate (original and a copy)
  • Proof of residence in Mexico (original and a copy)

• 10 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, tofulollipop said:

Hi

Had you figured out which police certificate is sufficient enough? I'm in the same situation now. I'm confused where to request the certificate. 

On 4/11/2022 at 1:51 PM, tofulollipop said:

I would also be interested where and how you got your police certificate. I lived in CDMX so either need the CDMX-one or, in case that is not available, the federal one. 

10 minutes ago, intothelight2021 said:
On 4/11/2022 at 11:51 AM, tofulollipop said:

I would also be interested where and how you got your police certificate. I lived in CDMX so either need the CDMX-one or, in case that is not available, the federal one

If the spouse is  in the US, Make a written request to your nearest Mexican Consulate . They then schedule you for fingerprinting and they obtain it. You can call them and they will walk you through it.

The “ no antecedente penales federales” ( scuse my crude typos) is sufficient. Listen only to the official source , see link for DOS

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Mexico.html

Edited by Family

Timeline
On 2/14/2023 at 2:16 PM, UCS said:

Hi

Had you figured out which police certificate is sufficient enough? I'm in the same situation now. I'm confused where to request the certificate. 

27 minutes ago, intothelight2021 said:

I would also be interested where and how you got your police certificate. I lived in CDMX so either need the CDMX-one or, in case that is not available, the federal one. 

Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner. We got the federal one a couple months ago which turned out to be pretty easy. There's a new online form to get it done. Not sure what is sufficient or not, but this one was simple enough to do and my spouse's original one was older than 1 year and we're still awaiting our interview so we went ahead and grabbed this one too.

https://www.gob.mx/prevencionyreadaptacion/articulos/tramita-tu-constancia-de-antecedentes-penales

Edited by tofulollipop

9 hours ago, Family said:

If the spouse is  in the US, Make a written request to your nearest Mexican Consulate . They then schedule you for fingerprinting and they obtain it. You can call them and they will walk you through it.

The “ no antecedente penales federales” ( scuse my crude typos) is sufficient. Listen only to the official source , see link for DOS

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Mexico.html

Thank you! In my case, we are not in the US but would be able to go to the authorities in Mexico City.

One question of clarification. The DOS link states that they would like to see the "Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales" of the "State Police (Fiscalía General del Estado)". 

If further states that "If the state police record is unavailable, visa applicants must provide a federal record called a “Carta de No Antecedentes Penales”"

The way I understand that is that ONLY if there is no state police certificate can you provide the federal police certificate. 

Is that also your reading? Or do you think the federal one is acceptable even if a state police certificate exists?

I am still not clear if Mexico City (CDMX) even issues a state certificate or if one can only get the federal one if one lived in Mexico City. Does anyone know?

The link tofulollipop shared is for the federal constancia (I assume/hope that the constancia is the same as the carta). Has anyone used this and got DQ’ed by the NVC/got their visa approved?

Sorry for the many questions. I am trying to lower my level of confusion :)  🤣 

9 hours ago, tofulollipop said:

Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner. We got the federal one a couple months ago which turned out to be pretty easy. There's a new online form to get it done. Not sure what is sufficient or not, but this one was simple enough to do and my spouse's original one was older than 1 year and we're still awaiting our interview so we went ahead and grabbed this one too.

https://www.gob.mx/prevencionyreadaptacion/articulos/tramita-tu-constancia-de-antecedentes-penales

Thanks so much for coming back and providing an answer!

Has the document been accepted by the NVC? Could you let us know if all went well regarding the certificate after you had your interview?

One question, for foreigners, does the translation of the birth certificate you have to upload need to be apostilled too or just the birth certificate itself?

Timeline
15 hours ago, intothelight2021 said:

Thanks so much for coming back and providing an answer!

Has the document been accepted by the NVC? Could you let us know if all went well regarding the certificate after you had your interview?

One question, for foreigners, does the translation of the birth certificate you have to upload need to be apostilled too or just the birth certificate itself?

Yes, the document was accepted by NVC without issue. We're still awaiting the interview so I'll try to check back in after.

So, I had some documents apostilled and others that weren't. However, I didn't apostille them for US immigration purposes. As far as I'm aware, an apostille isn't required unless they explicitly ask you for it. We had a bunch of paperwork for our Spain visas while we were living in Spain, so already had some documents apostilled. For US immigration purposes, I turned in any documents that hadn't yet expired or that don't have expiration dates that we had already apostilled, and didn't bother getting any new documents apostilled. I only apostilled the original documents, and then I translated the document and the apostille to english myself. I'm not sure if we're technically allowed to or supposed to translate documents ourselves, but I haven't run into any issues thus far..

11 hours ago, tofulollipop said:

Yes, the document was accepted by NVC without issue. We're still awaiting the interview so I'll try to check back in after.

So, I had some documents apostilled and others that weren't. However, I didn't apostille them for US immigration purposes. As far as I'm aware, an apostille isn't required unless they explicitly ask you for it. We had a bunch of paperwork for our Spain visas while we were living in Spain, so already had some documents apostilled. For US immigration purposes, I turned in any documents that hadn't yet expired or that don't have expiration dates that we had already apostilled, and didn't bother getting any new documents apostilled. I only apostilled the original documents, and then I translated the document and the apostille to english myself. I'm not sure if we're technically allowed to or supposed to translate documents ourselves, but I haven't run into any issues thus far..

Great, thanks for this! I think we will then only apostille the birth certificate (since that is requested) and not the translation. Thanks and please let us know how it was at the interview.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 11:45 AM, intothelight2021 said:

Great, thanks for this! I think we will then only apostille the birth certificate (since that is requested) and not the translation. Thanks and please let us know how it was at the interview.

Cheers

Hi! Any follow up on this? Were you able to get the criminal record by submitting the Apostille and birth certificate? Also, what specific apostille are they looking for? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Timeline
On 2/23/2023 at 8:45 AM, intothelight2021 said:

Cheers

Sorry, forgot to come back and update. Had our interview in April, interview was fine, very simple. Mostly just asked me about my finances and if i had filed taxes correctly. For my immigrating spouse, they just asked her how we met and what she plans to do in the US. Instant approval on the spot, got our visa 3 days later.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.