ZRomper

IR1/IR3 case got approved in a letter from DHS. But no status update for a month now?!? (merged)

27 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ZRomper said:

my daughter's case has been processing at the National Benefits Center all along.

I-130 petitions sent to the National Benefits Center are typically for those intending to adjust status in the US, not consular processing abroad.  Does the I-130 NOA1 for your daughter list NBC as the receiving center?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Chancy said:

I-130 petitions sent to the National Benefits Center are typically for those intending to adjust status in the US, not consular processing abroad.  Does the I-130 NOA1 for your daughter list NBC as the receiving center?

While that is true, all adopted children get processed at NBC, per conversation with a USCIS agent. And yes, NOA1 has her processing center as NBC. She also received a notice of actively reviewed case on February 22nd of this year. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Lil bear said:

No each petition stands alone and is processed separately. The child's petition is dependent on evidence of relationship to you, the petitioner, not to her mother  Once they are both at the NVC, you can request they be linked, and pace the submission of documents to keep their processing on the same timeframe. When they are sent to the Consulate you can remind the consulate that the two family members want to be interviewed at the same time   

I see. So the fact that my wife got approved, will not trigger any action on NBC part at this point from what I understood. So I guess we need to keep waiting. It's frustrating as NBC doesn't provide any details on processing time frame.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, ZRomper said:

My daughter is 14 and she was 6 when I adopted.

Cool.  Make sure to file I-864W for her instead of I-864 because she will be a US citizen as soon as she enters the USA on her immigration visa.  Similarly don’t pay the green card fee. She doesn’t need one and it would not surprise me if USCIS refuses to send her one. Apply for her passport and passport card as soon as she starts living with you in the USA. And after she gets the passport and passport card and the supporting documents back, file for her N-600. 

In hindsight, given she was living outside the USA with you from ages 8 till now), N-600K might  have been a better path (assuming you had 5 years of physical presence before filing) and thus would have reduced your current hassles.  

It for some reason she doesn’t get a visa interview by age 17, file to expedite on the basis that if she enters the USA at age 18 or older, she will won’t be a citizen.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, ZRomper said:

I see. So the fact that my wife got approved, will not trigger any action on NBC part at this point from what I understood. So I guess we need to keep waiting. It's frustrating as NBC doesn't provide any details on processing time frame.

Thank you.

Correct.  Frustration unfortunately is a big part of this journey 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Cool.  Make sure to file I-864W for her instead of I-864 because she will be a US citizen as soon as she enters the USA on her immigration visa.  Similarly don’t pay the green card fee. She doesn’t need one and it would not surprise me if USCIS refuses to send her one. Apply for her passport and passport card as soon as she starts living with you in the USA. And after she gets the passport and passport card and the supporting documents back, file for her N-600. 

In hindsight, given she was living outside the USA with you from ages 8 till now), N-600K might  have been a better path (assuming you had 5 years of physical presence before filing) and thus would have reduced your current hassles.  

It for some reason she doesn’t get a visa interview by age 17, file to expedite on the basis that if she enters the USA at age 18 or older, she will won’t be a citizen.  

OMG I wish I knew about N-600K, NOBODY mentioned this to me, not even a lawyer I consulted. 😔

I had 5 years presence in the US. 

Thank you for the information. 

Edited by ZRomper

• Ontarkie changed the title to IR1/IR3 case got approved in a letter from DHS. But no status update for a month now?!? (merged)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

*** Removed related thread. Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

3 hours ago, ZRomper said:

Hi everyone!!

To summarize:
I filed 2 I-130 forms on June 20th, 2021. For my wife and my daughter (adopted).

My wife got her approval at Potomac on August 1st, 2022.

My daughter is 14 right now, she was adopted by me when she was 6. We lived together all of this time. I'm a US citizen and have been in the US after the age of 14 for more than 5 years.

My daughter is at the National Benefits Center since last year, the only thing I see is that her case is being reviewed since February 21st, 2022.

But on USCIS's website USCIS it states:
image.png.caae3fbaae5bd1dc8dc95afdfaf3e840.png

I called USCIS and they told me I can't do an inquiry over the phone because I reside with my family outside of the US and that I should use my online account's inbox to send the question.

So according to the above, my daughter's approval is long overdue, it's been 14 months. Even Potomac processed my wife's I130 faster. Here I can't even check the processing time because it's "undisclosed".

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Anyone else had issues like this?

What am I supposed to do with my wife's NVC documents now? Do I have to wait until my daughter gets her application approved?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Chancy said:

*** Removed related thread. Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

@Chancy

Could you please move my thread back. This topic isn't even related to my daughter, it's about my wife's case. Plus I can't change the title of the thread anymore and this in NO way relates to the IR1 DHS expedition!

Thank you.

Timeline

So I called USCIS and the rep told me 14 months for an NBC i130 did seem out of range, where the average in the US is 6. But she couldn't lodge an outstanding timing complaint because I'm not in the US. The only thing I could do is write them through the inbox system. 

😢😢

Edited by ZRomper

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.