William2022

15 year old with no CBRA needing Social security no. (merged)

18 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have the fllowing question. My daughter of 15 born and living in Europe who did not
apply for CBRA after birth ( after her US born father) needs a social security number 
to receive benefits because her biological father passed away.

Does she need CBRA to apply for SS no.? If no, what are her options?
In case CBRA needs happen prior to ss no.application, can she get in a different country than
she was born (we live far)? Is CBRA issued always in the US?

If any other tips available to make the processes simplier, please do not

hasitate to speak up:). 

Willy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
21 minutes ago, William2022 said:

Hello all,

I have the fllowing question. My daughter of 15 born and living in Europe who did not
apply for CBRA after birth ( after her US born father) needs a social security number 

In case CBRA needs happen prior to ss no.application, can she get in a different country than

Willy

I am sorry for her loss.  

If she is a citizen of the USA she needs a CRBA, US passport, US passport card, or Certificate of (US) citizenship.  

If she isn’t a citizen then per https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

“If you aren’t authorized by DHS to work in the United States, you can get an SSN only if you can prove you need it for a valid non-work reason. That might happen, for example, if a state or federal law requires you to have an SSN to get benefits to which you have already established entitlement.”

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First u need to know if she is eligible for the CBRA

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html#:~:text=CRBAs are issued to both,intended to serve as proof.

2nd prove that the USC is her father 

3rd you need to know if the father worked enough quarters and paid into SS (they compute SS benefits on the last 5 years of wages )

it would help to prove things if the father paid support and/or claimed the child on IRS tax forms 

children only get benefits till age 18 unless disabled (and became disabled before age 22)  or in college till age 19

SS benefits are not retroactive / they start on the day they are applied for and in this case payments would be on hold till the USC is proven to be the biological father

so the faster u apply for benefits the better

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

I am sorry for her loss.  

If she is a citizen of the USA she needs a CRBA, US passport, US passport card, or Certificate of (US) citizenship.  

If she isn’t a citizen then per https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10096.pdf

“If you aren’t authorized by DHS to work in the United States, you can get an SSN only if you can prove you need it for a valid non-work reason. That might happen, for example, if a state or federal law requires you to have an SSN to get benefits to which you have already established entitlement.”

Mike, 

thank you for the info. Can child get a no employment social security number and what are the conditions? 

Best

10 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

First u need to know if she is eligible for the CBRA

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html#:~:text=CRBAs are issued to both,intended to serve as proof.

2nd prove that the USC is her father 

3rd you need to know if the father worked enough quarters and paid into SS (they compute SS benefits on the last 5 years of wages )

it would help to prove things if the father paid support and/or claimed the child on IRS tax forms 

children only get benefits till age 18 unless disabled (and became disabled before age 22)  or in college till age 19

SS benefits are not retroactive / they start on the day they are applied for and in this case payments would be on hold till the USC is proven to be the biological father

so the faster u apply for benefits the better

Hello,

she does qualify for CBRA, her father is in her Birth certificate, he was retired and on benefits. So this all should be covered.

Thanks

Hello,

please let me know if you know the best way to proceed.

My daughter of 15 needs to apply for CRBA, but in different country than she was born.  Is this possible? Do the documents get send to the country of birth for processing and than back to the aplication country for the meeting and oath?

Is there a different processing time at different embassies in Europe. Any experience which one has the shortest wait time and is effective?

Thanks

W

1 hour ago, William2022 said:

Hello,

My daughter of 15 needs to apply for CRBA, but in different country than she was born.  Is this possible? Do the documents get send to the country of birth for processing and than back to the aplication country for the meeting and oath?

Is there a different processing time at different embassies in Europe. Any experience which one has the shortest wait time and is effective?

Thanks

W

Which country was she born in and where does she want to apply? 

I would reach out to the consulate in the country you currently reside in and ask if what you're planning to do is possible. 

Usually CRBAs do not take that long. You need to make the appointment, attend said appointment and then wait for the passport to be printed (and that takes the same amount of time as producing a passport for any US citizen abroad). 

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

It will depend on where she was born and where you live:

I.e. if you live in Austria and she was born in Germany, they will most likely have you go to the consulate in Munich.

If you live in Portugal and she was born in the UK, then the embassy in Portugal will most likely do the processing.

However as @Kor2USA wrote, best thing is to contact them directly.

Processing time is pretty much the same. Usually within the hour.

It's amazing how many questions can be resolved with a 2 minute Google search...

3 hours ago, William2022 said:

Hello,

Thanks

W

CRBA’s for minors are applied for in person.  Documents are not “sent” and there is no “oath”

You and her and her mother simply make an appointment at the nearest consulate or embassy (USC Services section) and submit the application.  There are physical presence rules for the USC parent and the USC has to demonstrate that they were physically in the US (prior to child’s birth) for the required number of years.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html

Start here, pick the nearest embassy, follow the instructions.  We found this to be easy and painless.

NOTE:  If applied for in a third country, the embassy/consulate can take the application but they forward it to the country of birth for adjudication.  The quickest processing is in country of birth, embassy-shopping saves no time here.

Edited by iwannaplay54

16 hours ago, William2022 said:

Hello all,

Willy

Not gonna happen.  You failed to disclose in the last thread that you are not her biological father.

CRBAs are applied for at the US Consulate/Embassy and are picked up there after they are approved and produced.  Usually with an accompanying passport.

SS numbers are generated at “regional” locations and take months to get while overseas.  They take so long that the embassy (in our case) advises applicants to apply for one on the next trip home.

Some realism:  Your chances of procuring a US passport for a teenage girl who is not your daughter so you can collect someone else’s social security benefits for her are slim to none but your giddy excitement at the opportunity to do so is entertaining.  The time to do this was between birth and age 15, where was the priority for this father/daughter relationship before her father passed away leaving benefits?  pfft

Edited by iwannaplay54

Here ya go William.  This should cool the excitement.

We did not know that this is not your child and you are trying to get her a CRBA in order to collect social security benefits because her USC biological father passed away

EF5CD827-00FA-494C-91AA-F7070B6A09E0.jpeg

Edited by iwannaplay54

Advice for obtaining CRBA posted in your other thread.

As to collecting social security benefits?

Did both parents physically reside in the US for 5 years?  

B1365C7B-EA27-4135-B7FE-5B731B00FD8C.jpeg

Edited by iwannaplay54

4 hours ago, William2022 said:

Mike, 

thank you for the info. Can child get a no employment social security number and what are the conditions? 

Best

No

CRBA is a difficult interview in person and at time of application CRBA, passport, and SS number is applied for.

SS number is issued last, after citizenship documents are obtained.

The reason it is difficult is the CO painfully combs through proof of physical residence to validate the eligibility for citizenship.  In my case school transcripts, mortgage records, and the fact that I had no valid passport between 1974 and 2006 did the trick.

So, instead of skipping to collecting Social Security, which is another long painful road to eligibility, establishing parentage and US citizenship is step 1.  Is she actually your daughter or not?  Are you a USC?  If not, her mother is the one who has to gather all of this and bring her in to apply.  

Edited by iwannaplay54

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

@William2022, Please do not post this question in another thread.  One duplicate removed.  Thanks.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, William2022 said:

Mike, 

Best

If she is a USA citizen she cannot get a “no employment” social security number.  

If she is not a USA citizen, she can get a “no employment” social security number if she qualifies for social security benefits.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.