Mezyan

During AOS moved to different state

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello! About a year into our AOS journey we moved to Texas. We already submitted the online form to report our address change. 

However, I’m wondering how it works when they move you to the new office. Does anyone know if you are put to the back of the queue based on your date you changed address. Or is it based on your original receipt notice? Just trying to estimate how much longer it will be :)The Houston offices have a much longer processing time. 

thanks! 

From what I heard it will probably delay you (especially if it’s a busy office), but not by a lot as if you just applied for example. 

If I were you I’d phone USCIS to make sure the address is changed in their system. Several times here I read that online system went through but turns out the address didn’t change and the interview notice went to the old address. 

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
12 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

From what I heard it will probably delay you (especially if it’s a busy office), but not by a lot as if you just applied for example. 

If I were you I’d phone USCIS to make sure the address is changed in their system. Several times here I read that online system went through but turns out the address didn’t change and the interview notice went to the old address. 

Thanks for this, I just called now and they didn't have our address we submitted the end of Nov. He informed me to watch the status on their website and if it changes to interview scheduled to call them and they can reschedule it for the Houston office. 

Well hopefully your USC spouse and AOS sponsor also completed and mailed in the I-865 form as required by law. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

8 minutes ago, Mezyan said:

Thanks for this, I just called now and they didn't have our address we submitted the end of Nov. He informed me to watch the status on their website and if it changes to interview scheduled to call them and they can reschedule it for the Houston office. 

That’s odd…. Rescheduling is a nightmare. It really is and takes forever. The interview is 4-6 weeks out, if you don’t manage to reschedule it by then, AOS will be denied. Maybe you got a not very knowledgeable representative. I would call again and be very insistent that they change it and that you want it to be scheduled at the right office from the beginning. It’ll save you time and headache. You can try to request tier 2 agent. 

I think you’ll find this thread informative:

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
Just now, milimelo said:

Well hopefully your USC spouse and AOS sponsor also completed and mailed in the I-865 form as required by law. 

I am the USC. We followed the links from https://myaccount.uscis.gov to complete the AR-11 form online. 

I was not aware there was a need for me to separately fill out another form 865. USCIS also didn't recommend this on the phone just now when I told him we completed AR-11. But we can send another form with the same information. Thanks.

AR-11 is for the immigrant/LPR. I-865 is for the USC. You will actually get a notice of action telling you they processed your change of address. If you list the AOS case number that will get looked at too. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

4 minutes ago, milimelo said:

AR-11 is for the immigrant/LPR. I-865 is for the USC. You will actually get a notice of action telling you they processed your change of address. If you list the AOS case number that will get looked at too. 

Strike that - the form is different now. Just list your spouse’s info and A# for the immigrant you’re sponsoring. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
8 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Strike that - the form is different now. Just list your spouse’s info and A# for the immigrant you’re sponsoring. 

Thanks! I will send this in. I also called USCIS and asked for them to complete and address change. Hopefully one of these ways works. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
3 hours ago, milimelo said:

So.. Do they need to fill out the I-865? We are the ones going through the annoying issue you linked in one of the responses. We also just moved this weekend (same city/county). Wondering if only the AR-11 will suffice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, chiks24 said:

So.. Do they need to fill out the I-865? We are the ones going through the annoying issue you linked in one of the responses. We also just moved this weekend (same city/county). Wondering if only the AR-11 will suffice.

An I-865 is required for the USC spouse as primary sponsor, and any joint sponsor.  Basically anyone who signed an I-864 affidavit of support needs to send in an I-865 when their address changes.  AR-11 is only for the beneficiary's change of address and is not sufficient for sponsors.  I-865 is paper-only, there is not an online option (yet).

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-865instr.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.