Ash12345

Reisssue immigrant visa without medical?

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

My wife has secured a visa appointment for re-issuing her visa at a foreign consulate. The trouble is the date is very close and she is in a different part of the country. She will likely not be able to get the medical done before the appointment. This is not a visa interview, or at least not a first interview - it is for re-issung the IV. They said come with immigration fee, passport and medical. Can she go to the appointment without the medical report and they issue RFE or is it better to reschedule ? We go this appointment after emailing them in November, and it seems someone canceled so we got it now. If i could keep the appointment, get the RFE and then submit the medical in a couple of days, that would be ideal - does that work? or rescheduling is the only option?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Hello,

My wife has secured a visa appointment for re-issuing her visa at a foreign consulate. The trouble is the date is very close and she is in a different part of the country. She will likely not be able to get the medical done before the appointment. This is not a visa interview, or at least not a first interview - it is for re-issung the IV. They said come with immigration fee, passport and medical. Can she go to the appointment without the medical report and they issue RFE or is it better to reschedule ? We go this appointment after emailing them in November, and it seems someone canceled so we got it now. If i could keep the appointment, get the RFE and then submit the medical in a couple of days, that would be ideal - does that work? or rescheduling is the only option?

I would never cancel an appointment.  She can go without the medical and they will issue or not, after they receive the medical.  This will be a delay.  Rescheduling the appointment will also cause a delay.  Which delay is more problematic depends on your circumstances and priorities.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

I would never cancel an appointment.  She can go without the medical and they will issue or not, after they receive the medical.  This will be a delay.  Rescheduling the appointment will also cause a delay.  Which delay is more problematic depends on your circumstances and priorities.

Actually, that's what i wanted to know - whether they still see her without the full paperwork (ie medical). She is trying but there is only one doctor and she has to travel to the other side of the country. Do RFE after interview usually take a long time? again it's a re-issue not a real first interview. They have no dates available on their website to reschedule so I think the RFE route is better than taking a chance and waiting 2-3 months. I feel like the will process the RFE for something simple much faster than her waiting for a brand new appointment.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Actually, that's what i wanted to know - whether they still see her without the full paperwork (ie medical). She is trying but there is only one doctor and she has to travel to the other side of the country. Do RFE after interview usually take a long time? again it's a re-issue not a real first interview. They have no dates available on their website to reschedule so I think the RFE route is better than taking a chance and waiting 2-3 months. I feel like the will process the RFE for something simple much faster than her waiting for a brand new appointment.

How long depends on the length of their review queue.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I think she should go. My husband had his medical yesterday afternoon and interview earlier today because he didn't want to make 2 trips. In his case, the CO said he was approved pending the medical report (however, technically, his status is refused until the report comes through). The medical documentation is all completed electronically here and they said it should arrive at the consulate in 2-3 days, so hopefully there's not much of a delay.

43 minutes ago, EKT said:

I think she should go. My husband had his medical yesterday afternoon and interview earlier today because he didn't want to make 2 trips. In his case, the CO said he was approved pending the medical report (however, technically, his status is refused until the report comes through). The medical documentation is all completed electronically here and they said it should arrive at the consulate in 2-3 days, so hopefully there's not much of a delay.

My husband had a similar experience in Auckland.  His medical was completed just 3 days prior to the interview, so the results were not at the consulate at the time of the interview.  It really did not impact the timeline in any measurable way.

7 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Hello,

I would definitely avoid rescheduling, if at all possible.    I agree that it is better to go knowing that it will be a 'soft' refusal, pending the receipt of the new medical results, than to languish in the abyss of the unknown indefinitely.

1 hour ago, EKT said:

Thanks, the visa cannot be approved officially right? i mean the issue date will be after they verify the medical and approve the visa - and the issue date would be pn that day. not on the day of the interview right?

55 minutes ago, Ash12345 said:

Thanks, the visa cannot be approved officially right? i mean the issue date will be after they verify the medical and approve the visa - and the issue date would be pn that day. not on the day of the interview right?

Yes, the issue date will be the date it’s eventually issued and printed, not the interview date. But I don’t think the issue date is if any consequence as the visa is valid for 6 months from the date of the medical.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

the visa is based on the medical date

it expires 6 months from medical exam

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, a new medical is required. As others have mentioned the IV's validity is based on the 6 month validity of a medical report.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

so my wife got her medical and submitted the passport after that for visa stamping, but they sent it back with an RFE stating to re-submit DS-260. No others documents were requested. DOes that mean they dont need anything else? The original date of DS260 was in Nov 2020. Do they want us to update to get the latest info before issuing the visa? They did not mention anything except the medical report required in the IV re-issuance appointment either.

11 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Hello All,

so my wife got her medical and submitted the passport after that for visa stamping, but they sent it back with an RFE stating to re-submit DS-260. No others documents were requested. DOes that mean they dont need anything else? The original date of DS260 was in Nov 2020. Do they want us to update to get the latest info before issuing the visa? They did not mention anything except the medical report required in the IV re-issuance appointment either.

If that’s all they asked for (new medical) you’ll be good to go after the medical makes it to the embassy (electronic these days). 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

6 hours ago, milimelo said:

If that’s all they asked for (new medical) you’ll be good to go after the medical makes it to the embassy (electronic these days). 

Yes, the medical results went days ago, we checked with the doc. And the 2nd RFE doesnt  mention the medical, only to submit DS-260 again. So my question is why would they ask that? There is nothing else on the RFE. We have paid the immigration fees a month ago, not medical is done,.. nothing is pending, but all of a sudden they are asking to resubmit DS260 when they didn't ask for it earlier.

They would have asked for it in the appointment itself right? Was it an oversight on their part?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.