pm5k

Documents recognizing foreign marriages?

23 posts in this topic

It is understood that foreign marriage documents (and hence foreign marriages) are recognized in the USA if they were done per the legal requirements in their respective countries.

Out of curiosity, are there any states that provide their own documentation for foreign marriages (something like a marriage certificate, but stating that the marriage took place abroad)?  I am not talking about getting remarried in the US.  Some foreign marriage documents can be lengthy (Pakistan, India), so this could be helpful in some cases. 

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

11 minutes ago, pm5k said:

It is understood that foreign marriage documents (and hence foreign marriages) are recognized in the USA if they were done per the legal requirements in their respective countries.

Out of curiosity, are there any states that provide their own documentation for foreign marriages (something like a marriage certificate, but stating that the marriage took place abroad)?  I am not talking about getting remarried in the US.  Some foreign marriage documents can be lengthy (Pakistan, India), so this could be helpful in some cases. 

No.  No US state is going to document something that occurred outside of it.

26 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

No.  No US state is going to document something that occurred outside of it.

I remember hearing about this in the context of destination weddings, which is why this came to mind.

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Apparently Vermont will (in certain situations) issue birth certificates for those born abroad...

https://law.justia.com/codes/vermont/2012/title18/chapter103/section5078a/

2 minutes ago, pm5k said:

I remember hearing about this in the context of destination weddings, which is why this came to mind.

A destination wedding within the US would result in a marriage certificate from the state where the wedding occurred, like all other US weddings.

Americans who go overseas for destination weddings do not get some special document from the US state where they reside, if that is what you mean.

Just now, Jorgedig said:

Americans who go overseas for destination weddings do not get some special document from the US state where they reside, if that is what you mean.

I will try to find the example that I read about.

1 minute ago, pm5k said:

Apparently Vermont will (in certain situations) issue birth certificates for those born abroad...

https://law.justia.com/codes/vermont/2012/title18/chapter103/section5078a/

That refers to a foreign-born child adopted in Vermont.  I believe adopted children generally can receive birth certificates modified with their adoptive parents' info.  Totally different situation.  

45 minutes ago, pm5k said:

Some foreign marriage documents can be lengthy (Pakistan, India), so this could be helpful in some cases. 

And how would it be 'helpful'?  In the context of immigration, even if a US state were to offer some such document, USCIS and DOS are never going to accept that in lieu of the original marriage document, no matter how lengthy.

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

And how would it be 'helpful'?  In the context of immigration, even if a US state were to offer some such document, USCIS and DOS are never going to accept that in lieu of the original marriage document, no matter how lengthy.

I meant that the US document MAY be simpler in terms of format, so it may be helpful in certain scenarios. 

https://www.courts.state.md.us/clerks/calvert/faqsmarriage

Apparently Maryland will register such a marriage.

Again, I was just curious.  Local registration of foreign marriages is done in certain countries.  I know the US does not have a central registry, I was just curious.

Edited by pm5k

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 minutes ago, pm5k said:

I meant that the US document MAY be simpler in terms of format, so it may be helpful in certain scenarios. 

Again, I was just curious.  Local registration of foreign marriages is done in certain countries.  I know the US does not have a central registry, I was just curious.

registering a marriage from a state outside Maryland is not a foreign marriage /  its state to state not country to country

Do I need to register my marriage in the US if I get married abroad?
Even those of us who repeat our marriage vows to celebrate an anniversary don't get a new marriage certificate  

From the perspective of each state in the union, a vow renewal is purely ceremonial. You are not required to obtain a marriage license or use a registered church minister or officiant. There are no legal documents involved and it can be held anywhere at any time.

The United States has no national registration of marriages, foreign or domestic. U.S. states recognize marriages performed in other states and in other countries. ... If you are planning on getting married in another country, you will find helpful information on the U.S. State Department website.

40 minutes ago, pm5k said:

Again, I do not see how doing that would be helpful in the context of US immigration.  A foreign marriage "registered" in Maryland would not be acceptable evidentiary documentation of that marriage for USCIS purposes, so it would not be considered when the petition is adjudicated.

It's only use really would be as a souvenir for framing.

Edited by Jorgedig

1 hour ago, pm5k said:

highly doubt that is possible and wont be acceptable for immigration purpose. Its like you are registering a car in Chicago when car is manufactured in Bangalore 

duh

2 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

highly doubt that is possible and wont be acceptable for immigration purpose. Its like you are registering a car in Chicago when car is manufactured in Bangalore 

Not really like that at all.  People register foreign-built cars in US states all the time.  Mine was manufactured in Japan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not really like that at all.  People register foreign-built cars in US states all the time.  Mine was manufactured in Japan.

yep  my MIata came in from Japan thru Jacksonville Florida