trailmix

Changing your last name after marriage

Surnames  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Did you change your last name after marriage?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hypenated my last name

84 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I did not. Its not customary in Morocco for a woman to change her name, but even if it was I dont think I would have because I have a child (from a previous relationship) with my same last name. I didnt ever want us to be a family of X with him sitting there as a Y. So my son and I have the same last name and when our daughter is born later this year she will have her fathers last name....

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't changed mine yet. But, I'm open to the idea. DH doesn't have a traditional last name. Sometimes he uses 3 names, sometimes it's 4. Depending on what's required. I will wait to see how many names of my husband's get printed on his visa, and then I will decide which one (if any) to use.

I thought about hyphenating - only because we're an all girl family on my side and I kind of want to hold on to my dad's name. But, if it's too long or bothersome, I won't do it.

And, DH doesn't like his grandfather's name. He doesn't want to use it in the US. So, we're crossing our fingers that we get to use either his 2nd or 4th name.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i know its not tradition in morocco for the women to take on their husband's last name...but i plan on taking my fiance's last name once we're married. his last name is really cool and fits my personality really well! i also had always dreamt of doing this when i was growing up. it really never crossed my mind NOT to take my husband's name!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Oh, and I didn't change mine because my husband didn't want me to have his last name. He doesn't even want his last name.

Your husband and my husband need to start a support group. :P

I didn't take his name either because he didn't want me to. He said his name was too common and he didn't like it anyway. Whatever. I don't have any strong feelings one way or another about it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, I did change my last name.

My maiden name is one of the easiest and most common surnames in the U.S. and I was fine with it. However, I wanted to be Mrs. (new surname) in order to have the same last name as my husband, to leave behind the last name of my father (who I am not close with), and because I think that a Portuguese surname fits me well ;) .

I like my new name. I understand why women don't do (my sister got married 2 months ago and is thinking of perhaps hyphenating her name name but definetly not losing her maiden name).

The only thing is that I'm a teacher and the students were having a bit of a hard time with the adjustment.

I think next school year will be easier.... :blush:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

I'm planning to change my last name, mainly because mine is bloody hard to spell and I'm tired of always having to say it, and then spell it. ALL the time!! :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

I am in a bit of a no-man's-land with last names right now. Professionally (and legally), I still use my ex's last name. Socially, I'm mostly using the new married name, and occasionally the old one. I'm not really happy ditching the old last name, even if it is my ex's, because that is the name I've built my reputation on over here in the UK. What I think I will probably do is double-barrel it for professional use when we finally make the move to America, and legally change it to the new name. Both are really pretty easy names to spell and pronounce, and not too much of a mouthful when together.

To complicate things, The Boy hates his first and last name, and has every intention of having a new stage name. If there's someone with his name in Actor's Equity, he'll have to do it anyway. If he hits the big time out in LA, I wonder what I'll decide on doing then... :wacko:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't have changed my name if my children had been young when I married my husband, but they were nearly grown by then.

I also wanted to take my husband's last name, and he was happy with that decision.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

yeah i changed my last name, even though i like my maiden name i like my married name too , i thought it was cool to make a change , to something different! LOL!

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I love my last name, way more than my husband's last name, but I changed my last name for 2 reasons:

1 - if I had to spell my last name here every time I would go crazy, I had to spell it in Brazil most of the time, spelling it in english would just drive me insane.

2 - I'm still old fashioned when it comes to certain traditions. It is best that I'm associated to my husband by name and that we all (me, him and our future kids) have the same last name. Easier that way.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Not married yet but will be changing it once I am. Out of the 6 years we've known one another, don't think we've even talked about this...never even thought about it. I want his name and I'm sure he will love that.

Aug. 2001 - met online playing trivia

May 2006 - engaged

06-12-06 - Met with lawyer, filed for a K-1 visa

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

01-29-07 - Found out from USCIS that my lawyer had filed at the wrong service center and nothing has been processed.

02-08-07 - Found out that our petition had been closed back in Oct. 2006. No one was ever notified of this from USCIS

02-09-07 - Began gathering paperwork once again to start all over. Started cancelling our wedding plans

02-20-07 - Filed for a K-1 visa once again

02-27-07 - NOA1

04-21-07 - Originally planned wedding date (had to cancel) :(

05-22-07 - Touched

06-01-07 - Granted a Congressional Inquiry!

06-15-07 - NVC received our approved I-129F petition (I never received an NOA2 via email or snail mail). We are just so HAPPY to finally move on!

06-25-07 - Packet 3 received (but it was rec'd by our lawyer, she has forwarded it on to my fiance in Australia)

06-28-07 - Fiance rec'd Packet 3

06-30-07 - Finally rec'd NOA2 via snail mail. It is dated June 25, same day as Packet 3 was rec'd.

07-05-07 - Mailed back form letter DSL-1076 (Applicant's Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed).

07-05-07 - Just waiting now in hopes of an interview date before APEC

07-13-07 - Received Packet 4

07-30-07 - Interview!!!! - APPROVED!

09-01-07 - Fiance arrives in the USA!

10-06-07 - Getting Married

Hi everyone, I want to change my last name when my husband arrives to the US. How does one go about changing their last name in the US if they were married in another country? Does the marriage certificate need to be translated to English?

PW

CR1

March 5, 2007 - VSC received I130

March 11 - NOA1

May 21 - Case transferred to CSC

May 30 - Case pending at CSC

June 13 - touched (called CSC via RFE trick)

July 11 - touched (called CSC via RFE trick)

August 14 - touched (called CSC via RFE trick)

August 15 - touched

August 24, 2007 - APPROVAL (rcvd email on Sunday 8/26)

October 2007 - Billed for DS230 and I864 fees

November 2007 - Forms generated as per NVC

January 2008 - Received DS230 and I864 forms