Yehuda

After failing to sue the NVC, she is here now on her tourist visa

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She is hanging out here in Ohio with me until January on her tourist visa. She is a professor, so she is teaching from online. Sucks I can't marry her because we don't have a k1 visa, but I guess I am just glad she can hang out with me for a few months before she goes back. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Sounds like you are misinformed.  There is nothing in US law to prevent her from marrying you , then adjusting status since she is now inside the US. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Be aware that she can not legally work inside the US on a tourist visa or after filing to adjust status before receiving an approved EAD.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

Be aware that she can legally NOT work inside the US on a tourist visa or after filing to adjust status before receiving an approved EAD.

Wait...what? I can just marry her now?

Edited by Yehuda

Timeline
Just now, Yehuda said:

Wait...what?

Read my first post.  It is the important one. 

Timeline
Just now, Crazy Cat said:

Read my first post.  It is the important one. 

No, I qouted the wrong one. I thought you couldn't marry someone on a tourist visa. I thought it needed to be a k1. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Yehuda said:

No, I qouted the wrong one. I thought you couldn't marry someone on a tourist visa. I thought it needed to be a k1. 

That is not accurate.  Whomever told you that is sorely ignorant of the US immigration law.  Visa fraud would only occur if she entered the US as a tourist with the INTENT to stay and adjust status.  Your post clearly states she entered with intent to leave.  Her intent was determined when she entered.  It is perfectly legal to marry and file an I-485 package to adjust status since she was allowed to enter.  Just be aware that she cannot leave/re-enter the US or work for about 6-8 months.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
Just now, Crazy Cat said:

That is not accurate.  Visa fraud would only occur if she entered the US as a tourist with the INTENT to stay and adjust status.  Your post clearly states she entered with intent to leave.  Her intent was determined when she entered.  It is perfectly legal to marry and file an I-485 package to adjust status.  Just be aware that she cannot leave/re-enter the US or work for about 6-8 months.

You're ###### kidding me. She had this tourist visa years before we met. You're ###### saying I could have just married her 2 years ago when I filed the K1 visa?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Yehuda said:

You're ###### kidding me. She had this tourist visa years before we met. You're ###### saying I could have just married her 2 years ago when I filed the K1 visa?

As I said, visa fraud would occur only if she entered the US with the intent to stay and adjust status. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

You have two options open now:

1. You can marry her now, and she returns to the Philippines to wait for the spousal visa process. While waiting for the spousal visa, she can continue to visit you using her current tourist visa. This has the advantage of her being able to wrap things up properly in the PH, especially if she has a job and assets back home, and can say goodbye properly to her family. Especially important if she has family dependents.

2. You can marry her, and file for Adjustment of Status. This is what I did (see my timeline for details). This has the advantage that you don't need to be separated any more, but has several disadvantages: she cannot work legally or travel internationally until she gets her work permit/travel permit/green card, and she may not be ready to leave her PH job, assets or family right now.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Adventine said:

You have two options open now:

1. You can marry her now, and she returns to the Philippines to wait for the spousal visa process. While waiting for the spousal visa, she can continue to visit you using her current tourist visa. This has the advantage of her being able to wrap things up properly in the PH, especially if she has a job and assets back home, and can say goodbye properly to her family. Especially important if she has family dependents.

2. You can marry her, and file for Adjustment of Status. This is what I did (see my timeline for details). This has the advantage that you don't need to be separated any more, but has several disadvantages: she cannot work legally or travel internationally until she gets her work permit/travel permit/green card, and she may not be ready to leave her PH job, assets or family right now.

Whelp, I feel like the biggest moron ever. She doesn't own any property, have dependents, and works online. She doesn't make much compared to me, but since I live in Ohio and make ok money I can support both of us for a year. She just gives me $500 a month, which is like half her money her monthly income, but that pretty much covers her food and energy. We aren't rich, but we're not poor. Now excuse me as I scream loudly at that cornfield in the back over how stupid I am for not doing this 2 years ago. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Yehuda said:

Whelp, I feel like the biggest moron ever. She doesn't own any property, have dependents, and works online. She doesn't make much compared to me, but since I live in Ohio and make ok money I can support both of us for a year. She just gives me $500 a month, which is like half her money her monthly income, but that pretty much covers her food and energy. We aren't rich, but we're not poor. Now excuse me as I scream loudly at that cornfield in the back over how stupid I am for not doing this 2 years ago. 

Visa Journey is the BEST source for ACCURATE immigration information.  Good luck on your journey. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

Visa Journey is the BEST source for ACCURATE immigration information.  Good luck on your journey. 

I could have just did this 2years ago. I hate myself so much right now. This weekend I am getting hammered. She is sleeping right now, we both work at night. I will talk to her when she gets up. 

Timeline
Just now, Yehuda said:

I could have just did this 2years ago. I hate myself so much right now. This weekend I am getting hammered. She is sleeping right now, we both work at night. I will talk to her when she gets up. 

Don't hate yourself for not knowing.  Don't look back.....keep moving forward.....

Don't beat yourself up too bad. My husband had a similar reaction when he found out we could adjust my status while I was already in the States. You did the best you could with the info you had at the time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.