Squishiieee

Filing 1-130 Online: Evidence of Bonafide Marriage

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I posted on this forum a long while ago when I was planning to submit a K-1 visa for my then fiancé. Thanks to several of you that responded and gave me incredible feedback, I was recommended that I first get married and then file. I am glad to say that I am happily married now. I am currently in the process of filing the I-130 for my husband,  but I'm a little confused as to what I can submit as evidence of a bonafide marriage. I have every single conversation from the beginning until now, records of video calls, screenshots of all kinds, pictures of every time I've visited, our engagement pictures, our wedding pictures, and even evidence of when I was planning a wedding here in the US for when I wanted to submit a K1 long ago.  My question is, I don't have much of a few things that are listed on the USCIS website. For example, we do not have a joint bank account but my husband is an authorized user under my credit cards. Unfortunately, the banks in Morocco did not let me open a joint account with him because I was not a resident. He also asked his bank if he could add me under his account but again, I was denied because I am not a resident. We don't own any property together and the home where we stayed living together for a few months was rented and paid for in cash. There weren't any official documents signed for renting. I have copies of money transfers between the two of us as well. Due to the pandemic and my job, I wasn't able to visit my then fiancé as much and for as long as I'd wanted. I don't have as many visits as I'd like under my belt but my job in healthcare doesn't allow for extensive or frequent stays abroad. My husband's job in his country's military also didn't allow for much visits either. 

I would appreciate any guidance and advice regarding this. 

Thank you in advance! :) 

23 minutes ago, Squishiieee said:

Hi everyone,

I posted on this forum a long while ago when I was planning to submit a K-1 visa for my then fiancé. Thanks to several of you that responded and gave me incredible feedback, I was recommended that I first get married and then file. I am glad to say that I am happily married now. I am currently in the process of filing the I-130 for my husband,  but I'm a little confused as to what I can submit as evidence of a bonafide marriage. I have every single conversation from the beginning until now, records of video calls, screenshots of all kinds, pictures of every time I've visited, our engagement pictures, our wedding pictures, and even evidence of when I was planning a wedding here in the US for when I wanted to submit a K1 long ago.  My question is, I don't have much of a few things that are listed on the USCIS website. For example, we do not have a joint bank account but my husband is an authorized user under my credit cards. Unfortunately, the banks in Morocco did not let me open a joint account with him because I was not a resident. He also asked his bank if he could add me under his account but again, I was denied because I am not a resident. We don't own any property together and the home where we stayed living together for a few months was rented and paid for in cash. There weren't any official documents signed for renting. I have copies of money transfers between the two of us as well. Due to the pandemic and my job, I wasn't able to visit my then fiancé as much and for as long as I'd wanted. I don't have as many visits as I'd like under my belt but my job in healthcare doesn't allow for extensive or frequent stays abroad. My husband's job in his country's military also didn't allow for much visits either. 

I would appreciate any guidance and advice regarding this. 

Thank you in advance! :) 

I am not that good but I think you have pretty much of what you need to file for now...

_first prepare you application from the first meeting,  before pictures, engagement, marriage, after marriage. 

_sworn and notarized affidavits from family and friends who know you both well

_Emails exchange of before and now

_cash receipt 

_bordinary passes with stamps 

Honesty...

Then while your petition is being reviewed you can make as many visits as you would like..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Ryhn said:

I am not that good but I think you have pretty much of what you need to file for now...

_first prepare you application from the first meeting,  before pictures, engagement, marriage, after marriage. 

_sworn and notarized affidavits from family and friends who know you both well

_Emails exchange of before and now

_cash receipt 

_bordinary passes with stamps 

Honesty...

Then while your petition is being reviewed you can make as many visits as you would like..

Thank you so much Ryhn!  

I do have everything you mention so far. As for the affidavits, our families are writing a few for us. I am also sending in our own written statement and a summary of our story. 

We also have a mini honeymoon trip planned outside of Morocco and I'm hoping it will also serve as proof down the road. :) 

4 hours ago, Squishiieee said:

Thank you so much Ryhn!  

I do have everything you mention so far. As for the affidavits, our families are writing a few for us. I am also sending in our own written statement and a summary of our story. 

We also have a mini honeymoon trip planned outside of Morocco and I'm hoping it will also serve as proof down the road. :) 

All the best. I just got to the end myself..

Initially I had just Affidavits, pictures,  social media post and comments,  emails sent back and forth,boarding tickets, pass and stamps

Marriage certificate..chats records that had dates with our pictures in the screenshots, money receipt...

I only had this with need documentation when I filed my 1-30 in July of 2019..

Never got RFE

then had more proofs during my husband's interview...

Honesty is key here..FYI there was no red flag as others call it in my case

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Best evidence is showing time together, in person.  Original boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts, a few photos.  The more time in person and documentation for that time is the best evidence, especially for Casablanca which is a high scrutiny embassy.  I recommend that after you file the I-130, which will take up to a year to process, that you visit as often as you can, save the evidence of those visits, and upload everything as an additional document at the NVC stage, prior to the visa interview.  Good luck!

They evidence list, is what you will compile in a perfect world. That would imply that your spouse was already here and but is not.

Take the list put together what you have. Don't try to force anything that you don't have like joint accounts, insurance and utilities.

Build on something like taxes. Now that you are married, you can file joint. You will have to file paper because you will need to request for an ITIN for your spouse (file early to hopefully get it faster). To be used at the NVC and interview stages. You can still file married filing separately. I'm not sure if it will still ask for a SSN or ITIN.

Affidavit from friends and family are considered weak and needed if you don't have other proof of you relationship and marriage but no harm in them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Best evidence is showing time together, in person.  Original boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel receipts, a few photos.  The more time in person and documentation for that time is the best evidence, especially for Casablanca which is a high scrutiny embassy.  I recommend that after you file the I-130, which will take up to a year to process, that you visit as often as you can, save the evidence of those visits, and upload everything as an additional document at the NVC stage, prior to the visa interview.  Good luck!

This☝🏽.  Best evidence when immigrating is going to be primary evidence that showed you spent time in person. Lots of single photos with just the two of you, affidavits, social media, chats, etc., is considered secondary evidence and doesn’t carry much weight. That’s not to say don’t submit any but you will need to submit more primary than secondary. Photos together with family/friends are better. Tax documents aren’t really beneficial unless it’s showing co mingling of income. Continue to gather and submit evidence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Please do a timeline

1. affadivats are of little use

2.  Needed

Marriage certificate

Photos of you include his family to show approval (20-25 is enough)  

a few chats from beginning of meeting to now (just a few lines from several) as this is morocco and front loading is important

copy of boarding passes

copy the passport page with Moroc stamps for coming and leaving the country

create a cover letter telling how u met and corresponded and visits and marriage

read the guides above to see what is needed (been a long time since i did this and things have changed)

3.  for morocco we must show we have started to commingle finances and since u are married this year ??? no date as no timeline

you need to file as married and apply for ITIN with form W7 and the supporting evidence  MFJ use form 2555 to exclude his morocco income 

or MFS .  this is your choice but i like the MFJ for the $24,800 tax deduction.  this takes time to process but your interview will take 18 to 24 months from        the date you got the receipt notice .  you will have to paper file as most online forms no nothing about W7 and nonresident alien 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse

4.  and right you can not have a Morocco account as getting residency there takes too long (to be added to a bank account)

but when u get the ITIN go to your bank with a POA from him (Arabic and English translation) and add him here,  it's allowed by Federal rules (not all                  banks  allow because of 9/11 but find one that does)  add him to a utility bill with the POA

5.  Get in another visit as time spent together is the biggy in Casa embassy

Again it is commingling and quality time together for Casa embassy

Edited by JeanneAdil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.