2,964 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, vawaguy said:

I submitted my application and docs online.
The type of documents I submitted along with the N 400 application is less relevant because it really varies from case to case (applicant to applicant).
You could find the entire list of requested docs here:
https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf

Thank you for your reply so I have following questions.

1) have you used any attorney while filing for your citizenship.

2) do we have to check box other and then place the VAWA notification.

3) do we have to submit the tax returns.

4) if we are divorced do we have to submit the marriage certificate and divorce certificate as well.

5)what if we don’t have the citizenship proof of our abuser do we have to attached it or there is no need of it since our VAWA is already approved and we got the green card.

Filed: Other Timeline
31 minutes ago, Braveheart123 said:

Thank you for your reply so I have following questions.

1) have you used any attorney while filing for your citizenship.

2) do we have to check box other and then place the VAWA notification.

3) do we have to submit the tax returns.

4) if we are divorced do we have to submit the marriage certificate and divorce certificate as well.

5)what if we don’t have the citizenship proof of our abuser do we have to attached it or there is no need of it since our VAWA is already approved and we got the green card.

1. I have not used an attorney for naturalization. If you are not familiar with this kind of language then it may be a good idea to get someone to help you. I personally had an attorney to help me with the vawa case but not for the submission of the N 400 and everything went well.
2. I personally followed the suggestion I found here: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-vawa-green-card-holders-can-apply-us-citizenship-naturalization.html and there were no issues. Read the last paragraph on this page.
      Still, it depends too much on the officer that is interviewing you. Some of them know what they are doing, some don't. The officer who interviewed me was nice but the one who interviewed my son had not seen a similar case before.
3. I personally included the last two years. The purpose of the tax return copies is to prove that you are a good person and you fulfilled your duties as a LPR. Now, everyone has it's own story and situation. If you don't have tax returns it would be a good idea to answer the question "why don't you have them" in a compelling manner.
4. Yes and yes, that is an important part in the adjudication of your case.
5. USCIS know that is very difficult for vawa applicants to get a copy of the abuser's passport or naturalization certificate. You should just clearly state that you could not get a hold of that document. As far as I understand from the many documents I read on this topic - this should not be an issue for an approved vawa petitioner, due to its the specific nature.

Edited by vawaguy

Hi VJ family, 

I have been here quietly waiting for my Vawa, I am Jan 2020 filer. 
I have received just recently request for additional evidence and I am currently living outside of US, in my account in USCIS I don’t see what are they requesting so I guess I would wait for my mail and then know what to send them?? 

8F7827F1-B253-41FB-BD4C-4422AA60E4EF.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Vawa1/2020belarus said:

Hi VJ family, 

I have received just recently request for additional evidence and I am currently living outside of US, in my account in USCIS I don’t see what are they requesting so I guess I would wait for my mail and then know what to send them?? 

Yes. They’re noticed in the letter.

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone, whose local office is Queens, NY,  recently got his/her interview notice. If there is any, could you please provide your timeline?

I’m October 2019 filer(i-360&i-485 concurrent filing) and my i-360 was approved in late August 2021. I-485 is pending.

Thank you ahead!

Edited by Anujra

1 minute ago, Anujra said:

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone, whose local office is Queens, NY,  recently got his/her interview notice. If there is any, could you please provide your timeline?

I’m October 2019 filer(i-360&i-485 concurrently filing them) and my -

i-360 was approved in late August 2021.

Thank you ahead!

Hey! My local office is also Queens, NY. I'm a June 2019 filer. My i-360 was approved in April 2021. I received medical rfe in February 2022 and they received it February 17th 2022. No updates since then.

1 minute ago, saraa88 said:

Hey! My local office is also Queens, NY. I'm a June 2019 filer. My i-360 was approved in April 2021. I received medical rfe in February 2022 and they received it February 17th 2022. No updates since then.

Thanks.

It seems like we have 4 months gap per each process. I hope a good news coming to all of us in the process soon 🤞🏼!!

3 hours ago, Vawa1/2020belarus said:

Hi VJ family, 

I'm just surprised that after waiting so long, than for USCIS to adjudicate the case, they still issued an RFE😔😔😔.

I'm also a feb filer, kindly keep me updated when you receive your letter. For I will like to know what they are asking. 

You can also inbox me if you don't mind. 

Keep faith and courage. 

The end is gonna be okay for you!

Edited by Rhema1

3 hours ago, Vawa1/2020belarus said:

Hi VJ family, 

If you don’t mind me asking, how do you receive your USCIS notices and mail if they don’t allow a foreign address? I’m trying to continue my case from abroad, but unfortunately I’m depending on my attorney’s address in the US because I read that USCIS does not accept a foreign address or even a change of address to a foreign country. 

how can I receive my mail on my foreign address instead of the attorney’s address?

46 minutes ago, Rhema1 said:

I'm just surprised that after waiting so long, than for USCIS to adjudicate the case, they still issued an RFE😔😔😔.

I'm also a feb filer, kindly keep me updated when you receive your letter. For I will like to know what they are asking. 

You can also inbox me if you don't mind. 

Keep faith and courage. 

The end is gonna be okay for you!

I know that only I-360 Vawa cases you cannot change address Online, but when I came to Belarus I did sent my mail form changing my address to overseas. 
This one still didn’t get my mail yet, but first evidence that I received was in March 2019 I have sent them back from US. I am super close to Ukraine here and really hoping to get this mail with request 🙏
Hope that everyone here gets positive answers soon!! 
God is Good 👍 keep praying 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
13 hours ago, vawaguy said:

1. I have not used an attorney for naturalization. If you are not familiar with this kind of language then it may be a good idea to get someone to help you. I personally had an attorney to help me with the vawa case but not for the submission of the N 400 and everything went well.
2. I personally followed the suggestion I found here: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-vawa-green-card-holders-can-apply-us-citizenship-naturalization.html and there were no issues. Read the last paragraph on this page.
      Still, it depends too much on the officer that is interviewing you. Some of them know what they are doing, some don't. The officer who interviewed me was nice but the one who interviewed my son had not seen a similar case before.
3. I personally included the last two years. The purpose of the tax return copies is to prove that you are a good person and you fulfilled your duties as a LPR. Now, everyone has it's own story and situation. If you don't have tax returns it would be a good idea to answer the question "why don't you have them" in a compelling manner.
4. Yes and yes, that is an important part in the adjudication of your case.
5. USCIS know that is very difficult for vawa applicants to get a copy of the abuser's passport or naturalization certificate. You should just clearly state that you could not get a hold of that document. As far as I understand from the many documents I read on this topic - this should not be an issue for an approved vawa petitioner, due to its the specific nature.

Thank you so much for your detail reply one question is that you have to apply for your citizenship in the local field office or you have to apply in the Vermont service center and then they will transfer to the local office 

On 3/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, Angelmia said:

Good evening  all. My husband has previously filed for me and I went for the i485 interview and requested it be kept in abeyance as I was advised here , however the office denied it immediately even after the officer officer assured me they would. So my ead was not renewed and I have been unemployed . My lawyer applied for a new ead for me but then I realized it was c31 and I learned that would only be approved after vawa approval which can take months to years . So I asked her I filed new i485 to get ead co9 . I applied for feee waiver . We submitted this since first Wk December and till now it has not been acknowledged. No receipt notices . The lawyer said the only option now is to refile as we cannot make an inquiry to Vermont without a receipt notice. Please is that the only option because it would then take longer to get an ead and this are already hard enough considering I also have to take care of my child. I asked if it was ignored because I applied for fee waiver but she said no. Please what is the best way to have this resolved . Other applications she put in after mine have all been acknowledged. I feel very exhausted already . Thank you somuch 

Hi Angelmia! When you filed for your EAD renewal, did you not get the 180 days extension? You could have used it to maintain your employment - just a suggestion. Send your A-number and see if that can help! I'm rooting for you!

10 minutes ago, dreamer1 said:

I cannot believe this!! OMG!! 

@Stillwinning!!!😊 OMG !!

I am still confused about no medical request!! 

Background: I have been here since 2004. Did some digging, Medical request is very very common but not technically necessary if you read the language from USCIS. Lawyer e-mail, said not to worry about medical, he will do what he needs to do and call in a day or so to go over if we need to do anything. 

@sandranj can you tell me if you have seen this happen lately. I did find quite a few cases like this on reddit  and other forums!!

TimeLine:

I485, I130 - 11/2018

I360 - 5/2019

RFE on 360 (Good faith marriage) - 7/2019

360 approved - 11/2020

Transferred to local office (Newark NJ) - 1/2021

485 approved - 3/2022

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.12.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.13.16 PM.png

Well I guess CONGRATULATIONS 🎊🎈🎉🍾 are in order! Super excited for you dear!🥳🙌 you may start your celebration! I hope you do realize that God is always good! 😊

37 minutes ago, Mahi Bansi said:

Hi Angelmia! When you filed for your EAD renewal, did you not get the 180 days extension? You could have used it to maintain your employment - just a suggestion. Send your A-number and see if that can help! I'm rooting for you!

Her first form I485 was denied, so the EAD related to it became invalid and could no more be renewed. 

When she sent her second form I485, with other forms, she couldn't get a receipts notices that could enable her to get a new EAD or to keep the former one. 

That's why she needs to contact Vermont though her congressperson and inquire about her case.

From their response, she will then know what steps to take. 

Edited by Rhema1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.