2,964 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Snuggle_worm said:

I cried happiness when my lawyer told me I could apply for the VAWA 

Welcome to the forum. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

23 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Welcome to the forum. :) 

Thank you. It saved me today my husband was screaming at me on the phone to do his Europe visa application and file my taxes with him by tomorrow or he would file for divorce, call immigration and happily watch me get arrested and deported because he would tell them I used him. I had to block him on my phone because he wouldn’t stop. I don’t want to see him, ever. I get the shakes just thinking about it. I tried to stay friendly with him until I found out about VAWA because I was so scared about being deported 

my lawyer said I can tell him I’m filing for separation but I’m really scared to do it but it would maybe get him off my back. He won’t leave me alone. I want to call him out on his bluff for the divorce talk. 

im still scared he is going to do something with our visa though. He takes no responsibility of any of his actions while we were together. He is in total denial he was emotionally abusive or an alcoholic. He thinks I got him to leave because I needed “space” and that I’m going to come around to him moving back in properly. I have nightmares he is back at the house with me and suffer anxiety from it. 

do you think I can tell him? 

Edited by Snuggle_worm
Spelling

1 hour ago, Snuggle_worm said:

Thank you. It saved me today my husband was screaming at me on the phone to do his Europe visa application and file my taxes with him by tomorrow or he would file for divorce, call immigration and happily watch me get arrested and deported because he would tell them I used him. I had to block him on my phone because he wouldn’t stop. I don’t want to see him, ever. I get the shakes just thinking about it. I tried to stay friendly with him until I found out about VAWA because I was so scared about being deported 

my lawyer said I can tell him I’m filing for separation but I’m really scared to do it but it would maybe get him off my back. He won’t leave me alone. I want to call him out on his bluff for the divorce talk. 

im still scared he is going to do something with our visa though. He takes no responsibility of any of his actions while we were together. He is in total denial he was emotionally abusive or an alcoholic. He thinks I got him to leave because I needed “space” and that I’m going to come around to him moving back in properly. I have nightmares he is back at the house with me and suffer anxiety from it. 

do you think I can tell him? 

Hi, sorry you are in that situation. I went through similar stuff. I dont think it's beneficial to communicate with him in general from now on and just file taxes on your own (separately). You may ended up paying something back, however you can attach this to your case if you have enough evidence to prove marriage in a good faith without filing jointly . 

Just now, Evasn said:

Hi, sorry you are in that situation. I went through similar stuff. I dont think it's beneficial to communicate with him in general from now on and just file taxes on your own (separately). You may ended up paying something back, however you can attach this to your case if you have enough evidence to prove marriage in a good faith without filing jointly . 

BTW there are shelters for victims of domestic violence maybe you should search about it in your area 

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, Blunt said:

@sandranj @Stillwinning!!!😊  Please I need a help ,I sent in my renewal for i765,Vermont has received the package but they haven’t sent me a receipt to acknowledge they have received it ,they have received the renewal package for my EAD card since November 30 2021 ,up till now they haven’t sent me receipt to show that they have received it ,I dnt know what is taking them that long ..what do you suggest me doing ..

Ask the congressman person to inquire on your behalf.

Timeline
22 hours ago, Snuggle_worm said:

Hi everyone, wanted to say how grateful I found this thread. I am slowly going through every post - very informative though it does trigger some things. 

I’ve been in the States for almost 8 years and met my husband almost 3 years ago. We got married over the pandemic in 2020 my work visa was needing to be renewed and he convinced me we should move our wedding forward, I just have seen the red flags with his persistency. 

Things got bad after we married plus we were stuck inside for a year together (he was very persistent with not seeing a lot of people) he never physically abused me but mentally boy oh boy. Some days he would ignore my daughter and I rhe whole day too. So he was either yelling or not saying anything making me feel mental. He really messed with my head. He would control what I thought or did. I sometimes would just have to nod because if I spoke he would get so mad at what I was saying. I become his maid basically. We constantly tip toed around him and his moods. 

I had a miscarriage and instead of helping he blamed me (I was on birth control and it failed) that it was my fault because I should have been on better birth control and he left me to recover on my own. He even sat here watching me sweep while blood was running down my leg and didn’t even care. 

i audio recorded what I could but he had me locked in his corner. He told me if I complained or went to the cops or told anyone I would get deported. He would divorce me, pull my visa etc. I believed him and I was scared to talk to my lawyer because I thought he would be under obligation to report I was trying to leave him. (Another lie I was told) 

Eventually the pandemic eased and he was back out at work most nights (he is an entertainer) but this also meant back to drinking every night heavily. He would come home and the smallest thing would trigger him (like giving him ketchup instead of mustard) and he would flip things over or storm out at 5am. All in front of my daughter too. Her and I would cry when he left. I would keep saying to her don’t worry as soon as we get our greencard we will leave. I was kidding my self. 

she said she found it so hard not speak up wanting to defend me too when he was yelling at me. She said she knew how scared I was of being deported. I had no money, all of it paid for my lawyer and I waited 13 months for my EAD and travel. All my family lives overseas. 

then finally I had enough, I couldn’t see my daughters eyes anymore. I asked him to go stay at his friends. This was happening as I was having a serious cancer scare and I thought I had 2-3 years to life and he was not being supportive (he wouldn’t even ask me about it) and so the day before I was getting my final test results I got his friend to come get him. I figured if I was going to die I don’t want to waste another second with him killing me inside. 

my tests came back all clear, I got my EAD a month later and he kept asking to come up said he was going to call up USCIS unless I slept with him while he was at his friends, and gave him a EU visa or he was going to cancel mine. I was strung him along while I started to research and finally I found out about Vawa called my lawyer who offered his services for free and we submit next week. 

I can finally tell my husband where to go (though im actually really scared to do this) I was so scared to leave him for too long, months and month. I would volunteer places just to get out of the house because I’d be so scared to come back home to him and my daughter would always stay at her friends (we would lie to him and say the same friend because he was so scared of her getting covid even though she was vaccinated) but it was the only safe places she could go. 

i don’t  have much evidence in terms of him apart from lots of audio, text messages and affidavits from my daughter and a couple friends who witnessed some things towards the end but my lawyer said it won’t matter. I did have a chance to get the cops one blow up he had on the street when a construction worker came to my rescue but he looked me in the eye and said if the cops come you are on the next plane home 

im also lucky I have my EAD. My lawyer said he is applying for my status to be adjusted. Im new to all this as my husband dealt with the original marriage visa application.

im so lucky I’m free. Now I have my travel permit I’m going home for the first time in 3 years to see my mom and dad and while I’m there I will tell him I’m applying for a seperation legally. He can’t find me there and I’ll be gone for a month. 

To think I spent so long in fear of leaving for being deported. I cried happiness when my lawyer told me I could apply for the VAWA 

Don't forget to attend therapy (5/7 sessions) and to submit a psychological evaluation stating all abuse that you suffered.

Timeline
On 1/30/2022 at 11:26 PM, Seanblue said:

Hello everyone. I have been following this forum for a couple of months now. Thank you to everyone for the help. I just got my first Prima facie. I am  wondering if this can help me subsidize/reduce my monthly rent and also get full medical insurance coverage. Please do me a favor, tell me all the benefits I could possibly get from the Prima facie 

The prima facie will help you just to have medicaid, in some States the person might get food stamp, nothing else.

Hi everyone, i hope you're all doing well!! I applied Oct 10, 2019, Got a RFE end of November same year and I responded right away. And since that, nothing. I never received prima facie and now I've been waiting for 27 months 😖😭. I've seen many fall/winter 2019 approvals here but Anyone else in my same situation??

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, Zzz___1 said:

Congratulations!!!🎉 

could you provide your timeline, please? 
thank you.

I 485 - End of September 2020

EAD- September 2021 ( it was late)

Jan 18th got mail for interview Scheduled for past Monday, today Wednesday morning Card production.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.