itsatest

Fiance visa -> AOS and i-693, COVID-19 Vaccine and possible exemption for a pregnant applicant?

10 posts in this topic

Note: This is a throwaway account as to not connect our identities.

Super confusing times. It's been a long process but we finally got the notice for my wife's green card interview and it says we must complete the i-693... but isn't that what we did a year ago now, in her home country? We received no RFE mentioning this.

Then comes this new COVID-19 requirement for AOS starting Oct 1.. We got the notice for the interview in the mail hardly 2 weeks in advance (interview supposed to be Oct 12)--how is she supposed to even get fully vaccinated in that time? As it happens, I was exposed to someone positive for covid regardless, so we had to cancel the meeting anyway and get it rescheduled (hopefully, anyway--it's written that there's no penalty for this but the lady on the phone said it's up to the office if they even give us another appointment??)

Regardless of all that, she is 37 weeks pregnant right now and wants to wait a few months post-partum before she gets the jab. Aside from the pregnancy she's not really against getting the vaccine, even though she is Catholic and there are technically some moral oppositions.

We don't even know if we're *supposed* to go through the i-693 again, or just part 10 for the vaccination as mentioned in the instructions. And if it is just part 10--what do we do about this covid vaccine thing?

If the new appointment comes with enough time in between now and then, it might turn out OK, but the religious exemption seems pretty serious, and we can't find an OBGYN who will give her a recommendation not to vaccinate while pregnant (which is what the civil surgeon said is required).

Does anyone know, is it possible to apply for some sort of custom exemption? I would say given the history of new vaccines, it's not that far-fetched of a request to not vaccinate while pregnant... I'd also see this under "moral obligations" but would the law?

I want to just be a straight shooter and write some kind of official signed declaration promising that she'll get vaccinated within the first quarter of 2022, but would it hold up?

Any tips appreciated, thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread moved to AOS Family K1/K3 P&P, from K1 P&P - As the OP is past the visa stage and onto AOS. Please note that duplicate accounts are not permitted on VJ with exceptions for privacy. As this is the reason you created a second account admin action will not be taken. This account is to be closed once you received the answers to your question.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This post is all over the place and not organized but if I understand correctly:

#1- You are concerned about COVID-19 vaccination during pregnancy and want to find out if there is an exemption; AND

#2- You wanted to find out if there is any COVID-19 vaccine waiver based on moral grounds

Is this correct? If so, see below resources.

Link #1 deals with Q&A on pregnancy and vaccinations

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/designated-civil-surgeons/vaccination-requirements

Q. I am pregnant and do not wish to receive any vaccinations. Do I still have to get them to be able to obtain permanent resident status in the United States?
A.  If you are pregnant, the CDC's Technical Instructions direct the civil surgeon how to evaluate the vaccines you are able to receive during pregnancy. If the civil surgeon cannot safely administer a required vaccine, he/she will annotate the Form I-693 by marking the vaccine as contraindicated. See the CDC "Guidelines for Vaccinating Pregnant Women" page for information on pregnancy and vaccinations in general.

Link #2 deals with Chapter 3 - Waiver of Immigrant Vaccination Requirement. Note that COVID-19 vaccine is new for USCIS so this may not qualify. You mentioned your fiancé is Catholic. Pope Francis, leader of the Catholic Church, actually urged people to get the COVID-19 vaccine. I was raised a Catholic and already had my vaccines last April. Anyway, it is not my place to judge or to tell you what to do. See link below and see if you qualify based on religious objection.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-9-part-d-chapter-3

An applicant seeking an immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate or an applicant seeking adjustment of status in the United States who is found inadmissible for not being vaccinated[1]may be eligible for the following waivers:

The applicant has, by the date of the decision on the visa or adjustment application, received vaccination against the vaccine-preventable disease(s) for which he or she had previously failed to present documentation;[2]

The civil surgeon or panel physician certifies that such vaccination would not be medically appropriate;[3]or

The requirement of such a vaccination would be contrary to the applicant’s religious beliefs or moral convictions.[4]

Each of these waivers has its own requirements.[5] Unlike some other waivers, no qualifying relative is required for the applicant to be eligible for a waiver of the immigrant vaccination requirement.

The first two waivers are often referred to as “blanket waivers.” USCIS grants blanket waivers if a health professional indicates that an applicant has received the required vaccinations or is unable to receive them for medical reasons. If USCIS grants blanket waivers, the applicant does not have to file a form or pay a fee. 

The waiver on account of religious or moral objection must be filed on the appropriate form and accompanied by the correct fee.

Edited by chancecody

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you didn't get an RFE for an I-693, then you shouldn't go get one. The interview notice is a blanket letter that covers everyone and some people do require an I-693 for AOS

If the DS-3025 was complete, and you filed within a year of filing for AOS, it's possible you will not be required to get the covid vaccine. Wait and see what you are told at the interview. You are possibly good to go as is.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

@chancecody thanks.. well, I guess I *almost* explained myself. The issue isn't the vaccine, it's the timing and the nature of the exemption.

@KayDeeCee I do not know if DS-3025 was completed in her home country; if it is standard procedure, then I imagine it was. I was also thinking we might be good to go and just see what happens, as we never received the RFE and everything was filed within a year, however I'm not sure what the penalty would be if we showed up lacking something. Thanks for sharing that, it's encouraging.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, itsatest said:

I do not know if DS-3025 was completed in her home country; if it is standard procedure, then I imagine it was. I was also thinking we might be good to go and just see what happens, as we never received the RFE and everything was filed within a year, however I'm not sure what the penalty would be if we showed up lacking something. Thanks for sharing that, it's encouraging.

Not really a penalty, but if you are missing anything they will basically give you an RFE at the interview. They could approve you without asking for anything else. I wouldn't waste time and money getting anything done before knowing.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline
2 minutes ago, itsatest said:

@KayDeeCee good call, we'll stop stressin for now then. Thanks much!

You're welcome. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

2 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

~~Thread moved to AOS Family K1/K3 P&P, from K1 P&P - As the OP is past the visa stage and onto AOS. Please note that duplicate accounts are not permitted on VJ with exceptions for privacy. As this is the reason you created a second account admin action will not be taken. This account is to be closed once you received the answers to your question.~~

I am unable to find the setting to delete this account. You or another admin are free to delete it now, thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Just to add in case you'll get something at the interview, the religious exemption will probably not work since the pope is in favor of the covid vaccine and for the religious exemption you'd have to show that your religion and the religious leader doesn't approve of it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.