Brookeandluuk

Drivers license 797A or 797B (K1 to AOS)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
21 hours ago, Brookeandluuk said:

Dear everyone,

Last month I have filed for AOS and received I-797c and a interview date for my biometrics. In the meantime I have been bussy arranging my Arkansas driver's license. My written and skills test have been succesfully completed. But today I went to the revenue office and they only gave me a driver's license until the current expiration of my I-94, which is based on my K1 entry (until the 28th of October). They said I needed a I-797A or I-797B. I cannot find any information about how to obtain these documents. Does anyone have any idea? Is it normal to receive a I-797A or B later in the process? 

Will the status on I-94 change automatically later on, when i ring it up at the DHS? 

I'm pretty confused, any help is appreciated.   

As soon as you married your status is changed and not eligible for a driver license until you receive your EAD card

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, Gatekeeper said:

I can confirm what was said here. Once you file for AOS, you cannot get a local driver licence until you get your EAD or Greencard. In Pennsylvania where I am, there is even an additional requirement for non US citizen to have accrued 1 year of lawful presence before you can apply for a DL! 
until then, you are not allowed to drive, even if you have a DL from your country of origin. It’s not fun, but it is what it is.

I would love to see your source for that cause the PA DMV page says none of that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I would love to see your source for that cause the PA DMV page says none of that.

It does 😊 Here is the fact sheet coming from their website. See 3rd line of top paragraph « A minimum of 1 year legal presence is required by Pennsylvania law ».

0F573322-C382-471E-9CE5-81C6C6E6592F.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sounds the same as Nevada. Wife had license issued until 90 days expired( I-94), then was invalid until ead card showed up. Then they issued it until the EAD card expired 1 year later, then we went back after she received green card and they issued the full term 8 year license.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Gatekeeper said:

It does 😊 Here is the fact sheet coming from their website. See 3rd line of top paragraph « A minimum of 1 year legal presence is required by Pennsylvania law ».

0F573322-C382-471E-9CE5-81C6C6E6592F.jpeg

That means that you have to be allowed inside the US at least one year in the future to get it issued. Like your visa, greencard, ead has to be valid for at least a year. Not that you have to be in the States for a year until you can get it.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

That means that you have to be allowed inside the US at least one year in the future to get it issued. Like your visa, greencard, ead has to be valid for at least a year. Not that you have to be in the States for a year until you can get it.

Oh then that would good news for me! You will admit that the way it is phrased can be confusing, right?…

can somebody else confirm how to interpret this? Ideally someone who recently had a DL in PA less than 1 year after 1st day of presence in the Us?…

Timeline
3 hours ago, Gatekeeper said:

Oh then that would good news for me! You will admit that the way it is phrased can be confusing, right?…

can somebody else confirm how to interpret this? Ideally someone who recently had a DL in PA less than 1 year after 1st day of presence in the Us?…

Have you ever called the DMV and asked them? 

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Have you ever called the DMV and asked them? 

No, since there was no point in doing so before I get my EAD anyway. By the time I get it (or my green card), 1 year will have passed anyway, so again, no point in calling them for this.

33 minutes ago, Gatekeeper said:

No, since there was no point in doing so before I get my EAD anyway.

You should still try to get the Pennsylvania DL before you get the EAD. Here is an example of someone getting his Pennsylvania DL before the EAD was approved; it was also issued way before "being in the US for 1 year" as he entered in May of that year:

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BDL/BDL Publications/pub 195nc.pdf Scroll down to the "Applicants for adjustment of status" row

Edited by HRQX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 9/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, Brookeandluuk said:

Dear everyone,

Last month I have filed for AOS and received I-797c and a interview date for my biometrics. In the meantime I have been bussy arranging my Arkansas driver's license. My written and skills test have been succesfully completed. But today I went to the revenue office and they only gave me a driver's license until the current expiration of my I-94, which is based on my K1 entry (until the 28th of October). They said I needed a I-797A or I-797B. I cannot find any information about how to obtain these documents. Does anyone have any idea? Is it normal to receive a I-797A or B later in the process? 

Will the status on I-94 change automatically later on, when i ring it up at the DHS? 

I'm pretty confused, any help is appreciated.   

I would try to speak to someone higher up in your state's DMV. E.g. a DMV constituent office or something similar. Maybe they can re-issue it valid for one year.

I got my DL here in AZ with my I-797C valid for one year from the notice date, even though many people on this forum will just tell you "you're out of luck, should not have done the K-1". That is not just useless, but most of all false advice.

Yes it differs from state to state, and I don't know how yours will handle it but in the end it highly depends on who looks at your case and how much they know the processes and IT systems.

Best of luck.

Previous Visas

Spoiler

08/2016 - 09/2017: J-1 Student

07/2018 - 07/2019: J-1 Intern

04/2019: Employer files for H-1B visa

07/2019: Did not make the H-1B lottery

08/2019 - 03/2021: K-1 visa pains during Covid

AOS

Spoiler

2021-05-01: *** Married ***

2021-05-22: AOS packet sent (AOS/EAD/AP)

2021-05-24: AOS packet received

2021-06-10: Text messages received

2021-06-11: Check cashed

2021-06-15: NOAs received in the mail

2021-08-31: Biometrics appointment letter received (dated 8/21/21 for Phoenix ASC)

2021-09-17: Bio appointment

2021-09-25: Online status updated to "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

2021-10-04: Interview appointment letter in the mail (dated 9/28/21, sent 9/30/21)

2021-10-07: Online status updated to "Interview was scheduled on 10/5/21"

2021-11-02: AOS Interview, result: recommended for approval

2021-11-02: Online status changed to "New Card is being produced"

2021-11-03: Case was approved

2021-11-05: New Card was mailed

2021-11-08: Card picked up by USPS

2021-11-09: Green Card in hand :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Jöla said:

I would try to speak to someone higher up in your state's DMV. E.g. a DMV constituent office or something similar. Maybe they can re-issue it valid for one year.

I got my DL here in AZ with my I-797C valid for one year from the notice date, even though many people on this forum will just tell you "you're out of luck, should not have done the K-1". That is not just useless, but most of all false advice.

Yes it differs from state to state, and I don't know how yours will handle it but in the end it highly depends on who looks at your case and how much they know the processes and IT systems.

Best of luck.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Definetly worth trying. Im surely not giving up yet and see what they can do for me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.