Heather&Miguel

AOS interview scheduled before receiving EAD?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My husband is a June 2021 AOS filer. He had his biometrics appointment last Monday. Today he received notice that his AOS interview will be scheduled! Is it possible that he will have his green card before the EAD? If so, will his SS card be sent with the green card also? We are both in shock this is happening so quickly! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes it is possible to get his GC before EAD in this case the EAD will be canceled upon approval of the GC. The SSN does not come with the GC you’ll have to apply for that still but with the GC :) (someone can correct me if I’m wrong but fro

what I’ve seen that’s the case). 

congrats we’re waiting for our interview to be scheduled! 

Edited by ashley_ann

5 minutes ago, Heather&Miguel said:

Is it possible that he will have his green card before the EAD?

Yes, it's possible.

5 minutes ago, Heather&Miguel said:

If so, will his SS card be sent with the green card also?

After he gets the GC he'll have to go to local SSA office in-person and submit SS-5 form: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/

I need help with my Social Security Number (SSN)

We are prioritizing requests for in-person SSN services for:

• Individuals age 12 or older applying for their first SSN card.
  • Individuals who need to update or correct their SSN information (such as your name, date of birth, or citizenship) to obtain income, resources, or medical care or coverage, or other services or benefits (for example filing a tax return, applying for housing, or seeking an Economic Impact Payment).

If you believe you qualify for an in-person appointment, call your local office. You can look up the phone number for your local office by accessing our office locator. Please note that appointments may not be immediately available, depending on local health and safety conditions and staffing.

1 hour ago, Heather&Miguel said:

Today he received notice that his AOS interview will be scheduled!

What exactly does the notice say?

If it says that his case is "ready to be scheduled for an interview" that doesn't necessarily mean that he will have his interview soon; it simply means that they completed the initial checks and he is in line for an interview. This status can last a few weeks to many, many months.

If he does get his greencard before his EAD, he'll have to get his Social Security card at the Social Security office. 

1 hour ago, Marieke H said:

What exactly does the notice say?

If it says that his case is "ready to be scheduled for an interview" that doesn't necessarily mean that he will have his interview soon; it simply means that they completed the initial checks and he is in line for an interview. This status can last a few weeks to many, many months.

If he does get his greencard before his EAD, he'll have to get his Social Security card at the Social Security office. 

My husband’s “ready to be scheduled” notice appeared one year before the interview was scheduled.

I’m glad this is happening to other people haha, I received my interview date before notice of the EAD…and then the EAD/AP approval notice arrived. We got the EAD/AP card today - I’m confused about the social security number though. We checked the box for “requires SSN” when filling out the EAD application but have not yet received the SSN. Is this normal? Will it be sent separately or do we still have to go to the SS Office to get it sorted out? If anyone can advise I’d be very grateful, sorry to hijack someone else’s topic! 

That’s unbelievably quick if your interview has already been scheduled!! If it’s just the notice to say “ready to be scheduled” the others are right, it may still be a bit of a wait. My status said “ready to be scheduled” from March until a couple of weeks ago. 

15 minutes ago, HRQX said:

The SSN never comes together with the EAD. So give about 2 more weeks. If you still don't receive it then you'll have to go to a SSA office.

Brill, thank you for the info! I’ll give them a ring if I don’t hear within a week or so :) Love this forum, everyone’s so helpful!! 

4 minutes ago, *Rachel* said:

Brill, thank you for the info! I’ll give them a ring if I don’t hear within a week or so :)

Note that you technically can start working before receiving the SSN. If the employer uses E-verify then the employer can select "Awaiting Social Security number." https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i An example of working legally before receiving SSN:

Also: https://www.twc.texas.gov/news/efte/employees_without_ssns.html

It is certainly legal to hire someone who is authorized to work in this country, but who does not have a social security number or who chooses not to disclose it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 8/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, Heather&Miguel said:

My husband is a June 2021 AOS filer. He had his biometrics appointment last Monday. Today he received notice that his AOS interview will be scheduled! Is it possible that he will have his green card before the EAD? If so, will his SS card be sent with the green card also? We are both in shock this is happening so quickly! 

Congratulations!! 

Is good to hear that the embassy is working pretty fast!! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, Heather&Miguel said:

@heather&Miguel:  Did you really get a real AOS interview notice or does it just say “Ready to Be Scheduled for an Interview”? It would be great to know if you really received an actual interview date and when is it because it is a good news story that USCIS is moving faster. I would like to think that you actually received an interview notice as it is a good sign.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.