yogipatel

Is it worth moving because of how slow CSC is.

13 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I work at a job which allows me the option to move to other offices in USA.

I currently live in San Jose and my fiance is India. We were planning to get married end of the year in india but given the processing times on USCIS website for 23.5 Months to 30.5 Months  for CR1, we decided to file for a k1 visa and getting married in the USA instead. 

Now looking at next steps after she comes to the USA filing I485 (green card) (22.5 Months to 25.5 Months )  and I765(EAD) (15 Months to 21.5 Months). I am wondering if i should move to some place like Chicago where I can move keeping my current job, would help make the followup steps faster. As it looks like in chicago I485 is (9 Months to 19.5 Months). Though i am not sure where the I765 applications will go. Does anyone from IL know the answer to this , but all other centers seem faster then CSC

Hoping i can move to a place where I765 can get processed faster.  She is going to quit her job in India to come here, and hoping to work as soon as possible here and and a 15 Months to 21.5 months wait for ead seems a lot. 

Edited by yogipatel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Think of it like going into a supermarket and looking at the queues. OK you can see how long the ones checking out now have been waiting but you are looking onto the future not the past.

Using the same analogy the K1  checkout closed for many people so it may have been quicker in the past but now who knows.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Great analogy. Often experience of switching lines  at grocery store isn't great. 

Yes, but if in a supermarket with 5 lines, should i join the longest line or join the shortest line. Specially if the longest line is twice as long as the shorter line and i can pick the line to join.   

Also reason to mention chicago is because I grew up in chicago so i have ton of friends there like i do in california now. So it felt like a the social cost of moving there is low for me. 

Edited by yogipatel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

moving for the sake of AOS times especially to any of the big cities probably would not be worth it. you are looking at processing times now but by the time the file is ready for the relevant field office steps the processing times at the field offices might be very different. So there is a chance you end up waiting even longer in another field office especially if they are in any of the major cities.
EADs and AP for the AOS are processed at the NBC (usually 6 - 9 months) so the local field office would not matter.

when did you file the K1? if you filed recently, you are most likely looking at late 2022 or sometime in 2023 for a visa considering the interview backlog in India.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:03 PM, yogipatel said:

Hello all, 

I work at a job which allows me the option to move to other offices in USA.

I currently live in San Jose and my fiance is India. We were planning to get married end of the year in india but given the processing times on USCIS website for 23.5 Months to 30.5 Months  for CR1, we decided to file for a k1 visa and getting married in the USA instead. 

Now looking at next steps after she comes to the USA filing I485 (green card) (22.5 Months to 25.5 Months )  and I765(EAD) (15 Months to 21.5 Months). I am wondering if i should move to some place like Chicago where I can move keeping my current job, would help make the followup steps faster. As it looks like in chicago I485 is (9 Months to 19.5 Months). Though i am not sure where the I765 applications will go. Does anyone from IL know the answer to this , but all other centers seem faster then CSC

Hoping i can move to a place where I765 can get processed faster.  She is going to quit her job in India to come here, and hoping to work as soon as possible here and and a 15 Months to 21.5 months wait for ead seems a lot. 

The answer would have been to do a CR-1 instead.

You should look at the processing time for your LFO, not CSC.  EAD/AP is processed at NBC.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:03 AM, yogipatel said:

Hoping i can move to a place where I765 can get processed faster.

I-765 (filed with marriage-based I-485) will be processed at NBC, regardless of where in the US the applicant resides.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:58 AM, yogipatel said:

For cr1, the I130 would be needed right ?

And that is only processed at CSC not local field office. (looking at https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/)

No.  I-130 is processed at CSC, VSC, TSC, Nebraska and Potomac.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

for CR1s, the processing times are rough estimates based on all cases and may vary greatly, meaning some will take longer, many will be shorter. service centers are also assigned randomly, we for example got California and were scared of the 2+ year processing time, but just got approved in under 6 months

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Does the i1485 still depend on your location? I know that the i130s have been sent all over the place. I was living in Kansas when we filed our i130 and it went straight to California.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 8/19/2021 at 5:36 PM, sm20 said:

for CR1s, the processing times are rough estimates based on all cases and may vary greatly, meaning some will take longer, many will be shorter. service centers are also assigned randomly, we for example got California and were scared of the 2+ year processing time, but just got approved in under 6 months

Congratulations.

On 8/21/2021 at 4:23 AM, Paul and Sopheap said:

Does the i1485 still depend on your location?

Yes, the I-485 will be adjudicated by the local field office that has jurisdiction over the AOS applicant's current residential address.  LFOs may even refuse to interview applicants who have recently moved out of their jurisdiction.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Chancy said:

Yes, the I-485 will be adjudicated by the local field office that has jurisdiction over the AOS applicant's current residential address.  LFOs may even refuse to interview applicants who have recently moved out of their jurisdiction.

Oh that makes sense.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.