hctiwsblade13

Can spouse go ahead of me on a CR1 if I unexpectedly get a job?

5 posts in this topic

I am a US-Australian dual citizen. My spouse and I live together in Australia. Spouse is due to receive CR1 visa shortly. The plan was simply for us to move together after he acquired his visa.

There is now a chance that I might get a really good job that keeps me in Australia for a little bit longer (it's a contract, so not an open engagement). I can't, in good conscience, ask my spouse to stay here in Australia and bumble around waiting for me to finish up, when our intention has been for him to start his career in the US.

What I'd love to do is for us to go over to the US together, set up our apartment, and then come back for the job. But unfortunately, Australia's closed borders mean it isn't quite so easy. Can my spouse go over in advance of me to set up our domicile? If I get this job, I intend for the company to list the US city we're moving to as my home base. And the job will be partially produced by an American company. Any ideas on this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Slow down the process. The whole point of this visa is to be living together (err same country). You need to be in the US in order for your spouse to arrive.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

3 hours ago, hctiwsblade13 said:

Can my spouse go over in advance of me to set up our domicile?

No -- as part of the requirement for establishing domicile, the petitioning sponsor must move to the US before or at the same time as the intending immigrant.  From the I-864 FAQs -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos23

"A petitioner who is unable to demonstrate that he or she is domiciled in the United States who wishes to qualify as a sponsor must demonstrate that:

• He or she has either already taken up physical residence in the United States; or
  • He or she has taken concrete steps to establish a domicile in the United States and will do so concurrently with the applicant no later than the date of the intending immigrant’s admission.

The sponsor does not have to precede the applicant to the United States but, if he or she does not do so, he or she must arrive in the United States concurrently with the applicant."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, hctiwsblade13 said:

I am a US-Australian dual citizen. My spouse and I live together in Australia. Spouse is due to receive CR1 visa shortly. The plan was simply for us to move together after he acquired his visa.

There is now a chance that I might get a really good job that keeps me in Australia for a little bit longer (it's a contract, so not an open engagement). I can't, in good conscience, ask my spouse to stay here in Australia and bumble around waiting for me to finish up, when our intention has been for him to start his career in the US.

What I'd love to do is for us to go over to the US together, set up our apartment, and then come back for the job. But unfortunately, Australia's closed borders mean it isn't quite so easy. Can my spouse go over in advance of me to set up our domicile? If I get this job, I intend for the company to list the US city we're moving to as my home base. And the job will be partially produced by an American company. Any ideas on this?

No, your spouse cannot precede you to enter the USA.  Together or after.  Delaying the issuance of the visa is possible.  Don't get the medical.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.