Joy2Enjoy718

Filing I129F K1 - Use address from ex Marriage?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, new here and been reading up on K1 I am petitioning my finance from Vietnam.

My situation is - I was in the separation process from then wife (now ex wife) when I had met my new fiancé. Fast forward 3 years and I am now officially divorced (ex dragged it on even though we weren't together) and filing K1 for fiancé to get married in US. I am in middle of completing the I129f when I am stuck at the mailing/physical address. Since I still live at the place from past 5 years, ex wife moved out but I stayed at this location. 

My questions - If I put this address for mailing and physical, where I currently live ; will I risk a rejection from USCIS with them curious to why I still live at that address? I do have my divorce decree and will mail that in packet. I was thinking if need to, I would change my permanent  address to my friend's place and  would just state that I moved there after my divorce if questioning ever came up. I couldn't find anything in the search with similar situation, so can anyone advise? thank you

note - my ex wife has moved in with her sister but haven't changed her address yet (where I currently live) and since we are on good terms, she comes by to pick up mail from times. 

11 minutes ago, Joy2Enjoy718 said:

Hi all, new here and been reading up on K1 I am petitioning my finance from Vietnam.

My situation is - I was in the separation process from then wife (now ex wife) when I had met my new fiancé. Fast forward 3 years and I am now officially divorced (ex dragged it on even though we weren't together) and filing K1 for fiancé to get married in US. I am in middle of completing the I129f when I am stuck at the mailing/physical address. Since I still live at the place from past 5 years, ex wife moved out but I stayed at this location. 

My questions - If I put this address for mailing and physical, where I currently live ; will I risk a rejection from USCIS with them curious to why I still live at that address? I do have my divorce decree and will mail that in packet. I was thinking if need to, I would change my permanent  address to my friend's place and  would just state that I moved there after my divorce if questioning ever came up. I couldn't find anything in the search with similar situation, so can anyone advise? thank you

note - my ex wife has moved in with her sister but haven't changed her address yet (where I currently live) and since we are on good terms, she comes by to pick up mail from times. 

Do not start out this process with a lie about where you live.   So not worth it.

7 minutes ago, Joy2Enjoy718 said:

would they get suspicious to why I haven't moved to new place after divorce? or does that even matter, as I am submitting my divorce decree?

Who knows if they would even notice that.   It would be a much bigger deal to lie about where you live to try and improve your chances of a petition approval.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Joy2Enjoy718 said:

would they get suspicious to why I haven't moved to new place after divorce? or does that even matter, as I am submitting my divorce decree?

I don’t think they care that much. Usually one party lives in the home after the divorce... If you are that worked up about it to the thought of lying then move before you file. Why on earth you are contemplating lying is beyond me. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

so go to the USPS and do an address change for the ex wife 

she should change her own DL and/or state address but that's up to her

and don't claim her on your 2021 tax returns/  make her do her own

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Joy2Enjoy718 said:

There is nothing wrong with you living at the same address when you were married and after the divorced.  You will need to provide W2s and Tax Transcripts later at the embassy/interview stage, which I assumed would have your currently address.  Good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

do not ever lie to USCIS about ANYTHING.

its really not unusual to live in the same house after a divorce.

now, if your ex spouse lived there WITH you.... 🤔

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

3 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

do not ever lie to USCIS about ANYTHING.

its really not unusual to live in the same house after a divorce.

now, if your ex spouse lived there WITH you.... 🤔

ex wife does not live here. but my concern if that raises questions as to further investigate who actually lives there, thats all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Joy2Enjoy718 said:

ex wife does not live here. but my concern if that raises questions as to further investigate who actually lives there, thats all.

no they will not. your tax returns hep demonstrate that, along with your divorce decree that you are... divorced.

Edited by debbiedoo

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.