9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I would like to know if it’s really possible for a GC holder to petition for their biological child that is under the age of 18 to come to the US? How likely for that child to get approved from the GC holder applying for them instead of a US citizen.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, F2A or F2B visa category.

If the child is not married and under 21, then the category is F2A and it takes about 1-2 years.  

Both categories take about the same time as for children and for unmarried son's and daughters (F1) of USC.  Actually, F2B is slightly faster than F1.

1 minute ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Yes, F2A or F2B visa category.

If the child is not married and under 21, then the category is F2A and it takes about 1-2 years.  

Both categories take about the same time as for children and for unmarried son's and daughters (F1) of USC.  Actually, F2B is slightly faster than F1.

Thank you for responding. So even if the USC petitions for the child, it would take a year? Is it possible for the USC to do a k3/k4 since the F2 takes a long time? 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Sunnshine said:

Thank you for responding. So even if the USC petitions for the child, it would take a year? Is it possible for the USC to do a k3/k4 since the F2 takes a long time? 

A USC petitioning a child (under 21) is IR2.  That process takes the same amount of time as F2A, about 1-2 years.  Technically K4 is still an option, but practically that process is a dead end.  0 K3/K4 were approved in 2020 and only 5 K3's were approved in 2019, if I recall correctly.  

Some people file for K3/K4 in addition to IR1/IR2, thinking it helps speed up I-130 approval.  Those ppl have mainly reported the same processing times as others who didn't file the K3/K4, and their K3/4 were administratively closed.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

3 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

A USC petitioning a child (under 21) is IR2.  That process takes the same amount of time as F2A, about 1-2 years.  Technically K4 is still an option, but practically that process is a dead end.  0 K3/K4 were approved in 2020 and only 5 K3's were approved in 2019, if I recall correctly.  

Some people file for K3/K4 in addition to IR1/IR2, thinking it helps speed up I-130 approval.  Those ppl have mainly reported the same processing times as others who didn't file the K3/K4, and their K3/4 were administratively closed.

Oh wow, 1-2 years? That’s a long time. Thank you doe this information. 

Timeline

Not really a long time in reference to US immigration.  It's actually pretty quick, relatively speaking.  F3, married son's/daughters, take 13 to 25 years.  F4, sisters/brothers, take 14 to 24 years.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes you can petition with i-130. You will need permission from biological parent for child to immigrate.  Also you have to prove ties to child, in reference to care, more than just financial support.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 hours ago, Sunnshine said:

Oh wow, 1-2 years? That’s a long time. Thank you doe this information. 

In the US immigration realm 1-2 years is actually pretty good.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

OP is a GC holder, you can't do a k4 without there being a k3 first.  OP would never qualify even if it was a viable option 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.