N400Me

Help!! I registered to vote by accident

63 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

This happens lot.  The main thing it will come down to is intent.  If you never intended to register to vote, that will be a strong indicator in your favor.   Since New Jersey has a motor voter law that automatically registers driver license applicants to vote, they can chalk it up to you not meaning to register.  Some clerks can be aggressive on this point. The fact you didn’t vote is very helpful.

@bakphx1 Thank you soo much. I'll will just answer honestly that I've been registered to vote after renewing my driver's license, but I should not have since I'm not a citizen and I have never voted.

31 minutes ago, seablock said:

Review your N-400 application.  Especially your answer to the questions: "Have you EVER registered to vote in any Federal, state, or local election in the United States?" and "Have you EVER claimed to be a U.S. citizen (in writing or any other way)?" The Immigration Services Officer probably will ask some questions from your application. 

Reviewing application right now. I appreciate your care. 

4 minutes ago, -MDV- said:

I just don't understand if they are just trapping immigrants with this voting registration. English is not the first language of most immigrants and It takes only 1 mistake to be registered wrongly. But when it comes to immigrations they request immigrants to show as much evidences and paperworks that  they have and all these complicated forms and processing. But when it comes to registering to vote, how come they don't even ask to show any evidence of being a US citizen? And eventually use it against the immigrants when they apply to naturalize later on when they registered accidentaly. Where is the credibility of the American election, if it's that easy to register and possibly vote? 

So true. There should be checks done before approving a voter registration.

2 hours ago, -MDV- said:

I just don't understand if they are just trapping immigrants with this voting registration. 

Not just immigrants but USCs as well. I have intentionally avoided registering to vote since I turned 18 several decades ago as it would void my ability to obtain another citizenship through family lines. Will have to research each particular states driver license rules but I remember when I applied for a PA license they specifically asked me if I wanted to vote and I said no.

I’m sure the OP must of been asked when applying for a drivers license. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

11 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Not just immigrants but USCs as well. I have intentionally avoided registering to vote since I turned 18 several decades ago as it would void my ability to obtain another citizenship through family lines. Will have to research each particular states driver license rules but I remember when I applied for a PA license they specifically asked me if I wanted to vote and I said no.

Lucky for you that you got asked and you understood what would be the outcome of it. Some people don't. The OP may have been asked OR not, but like what she mentioned, she was not fully aware of this. This is not new, I always see these stories that they were not even aware of this and just found out during their naturalization interviews that they were registered to vote. Some immigrants are not fluent in english and they would just say yes without knowing what it is for. It is just so stupid that they will register people to vote without proper documentation to support that they are US citizen. 

Naturalization N-400 Timeline: (328 Days)

08/23/2020: [DAY 1]       Filed Online

02/12/2021: [DAY 174]   Biometrics Reused

05/17/2021: [DAY 268]    Interview Scheduled 6/15/2021

06/15/2021: [DAY 297]    Interview Appointment APPROVED

07/16/2021: [DAY 328]   🇺🇸 🇺🇸Oath Ceremony 🇺🇸🇺🇸

ROC I-751 Timeline: (342 DAYS)

08/23/2019: [DAY 1]       Package Sent to Dallas Lockbox

08/26/2019: [DAY 4]       Package Delivered 

08/28/2019: [DAY 6]       Txt Message w/ Receipt #EAC Vermont

09/03/2019: [DAY 12]     Rcvd Extension Letter/NOA 18mos 

09/21/2019: [DAY 30]     Rcvd Biometrics Appt. Letter 

09/30/2019: [DAY 39]     Biometrics Appt.

07/30/2020: [DAY 342]   APPROVED (Vermont Service Center) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjustment of Status Timeline: (434 DAYS)

09/13/2016: [DAY 1]       AOS Filed (I-130,I-485,I-765)

09/14/2016: [DAY 2]       Priority Date (I-130,I-485,I-765)

09/17/2016: [DAY 6]       Received I797C Letters

09/30/2016: [DAY 19]     Biometric Letter Received

10/14/2016: [DAY 33]     Biometrics Appt. (DONE)

10/19/2016: [DAY 38]     Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview

11/17/2016: [DAY 65]     I-765 Approved

06/22/2017: [DAY 282]   Interview is Scheduled for 07/28/17

07/28/2017: [DAY 318]   INTERVIEW

11/20/2017: [DAY 434]   APPROVED

1 hour ago, flicks1998 said:

Why would voting void your ability to obtain another citizenship, if you're already a US citizen?  Voting is just one aspect of citizenship.

Interview went well this morning, except that a decision cannot be made because my records show that I'm registered to vote, even though I have never registered or voted! Apparently, I was confused with another person in another county by the DMV. We share the same name! Just found this out by the elections office! This is so frustrating!

2 hours ago, N400Me said:

Interview went well this morning, except that a decision cannot be made because my records show that I'm registered to vote, even though I have never registered or voted! Apparently, I was confused with another person in another county by the DMV. We share the same name! Just found this out by the elections office! This is so frustrating!

Thank you so much for the update. Since it was a different person with the same name, I'm sure they'll sort this out and approve you. 

8 hours ago, N400Me said:

I don't understand how the USCIS would even have connected someone else's voter record with your application for citizenship?  There are many, many, many people with the same name.

2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I don't understand how the USCIS would even have connected someone else's voter record with your application for citizenship?  There are many, many, many people with the same name.

She just asked if I am registered to vote and I told her that it shows I am. I only found out about the name mixup when I went to the elections commissioner's office. They are working on fixing it and then I will have to send explanation with N14 form.

Edited by N400Me

What if you feign ignorance and never mention you were inadvertently registered to vote. You are going to be pulled from the voting rolls early tomorrow anyway. Or tomorrow you tell them exactly what you think occurred at the dmv and you never understood that you were placed on the voting rolls. Since you never voted they would have to believe you. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.