EliAnon

Wifes sister - tourist or petitioning

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I really am not sure on what Direction to go. My wifes mom passed away and her 18 yr old sister is over there. I was curious about requirements for me to get her here either by tourist visa so they can reunite for a time (and to experience the USA). Or how to petition her for perhaps, permanent residentry. 

please shoot with the best information or ideas you have.

thanks!

11 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

to experience the USA

For tourist visa, she submits DS-160 herself: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html "Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa."

13 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

Or how to petition her for perhaps, permanent residentry.

Before even starting that process your wife would first need to become a US citizen. Then, after filing the I-130 petition it can take more than 20 years.

15 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

Hello,

I really am not sure on what Direction to go. My wifes mom passed away and her 18 yr old sister is over there. I was curious about requirements for me to get her here either by tourist visa so they can reunite for a time (and to experience the USA). Or how to petition her for perhaps, permanent residentry. 

please shoot with the best information or ideas you have.

thanks!

She cannot come over on a tourist visa to stay, and it is unlikely she would get one.

Your wife can petition her.   Sibling visas take 15-20 years on average.

Just now, HRQX said:

For tourist visa, she submits DS-160 herself: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html "Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa."

Before even starting that process your wife would first need to become a US citizen. Then, after filing the I-130 petition it can take more than 20 years.

Right!   I forgot about the requirement to be a USC for sibling petition.

5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Yup; by a rough calculation she is still years away from naturalizing. AOS was filed in late 2019, but I don't know if it's still pending or already approved: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/717793-combo-card-ead-and-aos/ After the required time passes for N-400 filing eligibility then N-400 processing time has to be accounted for.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

To make matters worse, Manila is still not doing routine visa processing, with no prediction on reopening in sight

YMMV

Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

It will take years for her to get here, I think.

If she is inclined, and has the required educational background, maybe she can look into going to school/college here...???

You and the rest of the family could support her that way? Just an idea.

Hang in there, Brother

Sorry again for your loss.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you all for your replies! This is a tough situation especially with this Covid lockdown BS still ongoing.... We will look into all the usefull information you guys provided!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline
On 6/28/2021 at 1:26 AM, Jorgedig said:

She cannot come over on a tourist visa to stay, and it is unlikely she would get one.

Your wife can petition her.   Sibling visas take 15-20 years on average.

I wouldn't say that. My sister applied while I was PR and she got it. It is all based on the tides the person has in their home country. OP never mentioned if the sister had things going for her back home. Maybe she does. 

(L) (L) (F) (F) Some peoples journey to love is harder than others, but when they reach their destination its definitely, definitely worth preserving. (F) (F) (L) (L)

event.png

blk-event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.