2,965 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Ocean23 said:

Seriously, I have been wondering why VAWA cases take this long. A few people I know got married after I did and got their GC already, like within a year. Sometimes I feel like we are being punished by USCIS. It's exhausting.  

I know. it is a long and arduous journey for VAWA applicants. I wonder what might make things faster, like more funding for the unit? My only guess is that it is a specialized application and also extra confidential so they have to go through everything closely

Timeline
On 9/27/2021 at 10:52 PM, DmytriiD said:

Hi Community,

My I-485 got approved today without interview and I wanted to thank all of you who gave me pieces of advise and information during this VAWA journey.

I wanted to share my timeline and advise for those who currently is surfing through here and looking for info:

August 25, 2018 - US Entry on a K-1 Visa

September 14, 2018 - Marriage

September 28, 2018 - I-485 Application (together with EAD+AP)

October 2, 2018 - NOA 1 I-485 (biometrics took place 3 weeks later)

January 2019 - EAP+AP approved

April 2019 - Divorce

April 24, 2019 - I-360 Application (applied with a lawyer, but moving forward acted on my own without lawyer's help)

September 2019 - Sent in more evidence on my own by reading this forum (I think my lawyer didn't include those docs on purpose in order to get RFE and charge me more). Please note that I sent in more evidence on my own without receiving a request for it twice total (once divorce paperwok and another time police clearances and my birth certificate).

3 times extended EAD + AP while waiting for I360 decision based on still pending I485.

May 24, 2021 - I360 Case Was Approved

August 2021 - I485 Request for updated medicals (my original medicals expired 1 months prior to this request)

September 27, 2021 - I485 Approval (Card being Produced status)

To all of you who is reading - I think very important for you to know that you are allowed to submit evidence for your I360 case (if you think your case is missing something) on your own without a lawyer. I only used an attorney in the first place because I didn't know about VAWA at all and I needed urgent help. But after reading this forum even the attorney I worked with was telling me that I know too much and I could do it on my own, etc. After I read the case she prepared I found that there were multiple mistakes made with names of people, facts, dates etc etc (I had to send another letter to Vermont to just correct her mistakes) and also some docs needed for this case were missing, which I think my attorney didn't put there on purpose. Those docs are required for a decision on I360 for sure. So by not including it my attorney planned to get an RFE...and her contract with me would oblige me for another $1000 to reply to an RFE. So when I started reading this forum I took this under my complete control and figured that my attorney is acting against my best interest. Another GREAT piece to this story is that my attorney assistant once called me and said that the attorney is not honest and that she purposely is not doing things I asked her to do, purposely missed docs, purposely was not even providing me the copy of my case for a few weeks...and her assistant actually recommended me to report her to the board of attorneys which I didn't do yet, but I will now that my cases are all done and I do not need her anymore for anything at all. But yeah people please be careful with attorneys please - mine was basically trying to suck the moneys out without providing the best service possible.

Luckily for me from the beginning I refused to add my attorney to my I485 case and once I360 was approved we kind of are done already.

Summary: I485 took 3 years exactly and I360 took 2 years and 1 month.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, you will get there soon!

Congratulations 🗽🇺🇸

Timeline
16 hours ago, jack182 said:

Good morning family, 

My I-485 has finally been approved. I’ve shared most times my worries and you were really there  every one of you  Fedaniela, Balo,Pinkrlion,  our lawyer Sandra ❤️❤️, there are so many names but I’m not sure I remember everyone. I was lucky I did not  have any interview.  You all gave me the courage to apply for my I-360.I hit rock bottom then  but you gave me so much hope. Although I did not comment a lot but I read through every thread and I held onto all the jokes, suggestions, advices. Because of my situation I did not have friends or let’s just say I didn’t want to interact with others . Anyways It took me so long comment here. But I appreciate you all . I still can’t believe it but it’s actually happening and I don’t know what to do. I’m so shocked.. I had to check the case status online a couple of time just to be sure 😅🤣. I waited for so long and God knows the wait time in NYC is smth… Thank you all !

76471ADB-34A6-42F8-BA7F-EBE631CDE50D.jpeg

Congratulations 🗽🇺🇸

16 hours ago, marcoisland777 said:

@jack182 congratulations this is awesome, I am so happy for you, can you please tell me when your vawa was approved, when you filed i485, which is your local office and if you were married to usc of lpr?  did you receive rfe to send medical exams? or did they send you the green card straight to you with no interview and no sending medicals?  my vawa was approved on march 2020 i sent i485 on december 2018, was married to usc, and my local office is queens which is currenly processing i485 for october 26 2018, so I feel my time is coming soon too! God is good, please let me know

Hey, thank you. I applied for my I-485 & I-360 at the same time. I got a RFE for medicals but no interview then I got the approval. My abuser is a usc.  I sent everything in 2018 and got approved for vawa in 2019. Your approval is coming hang in there ! I would suggest you to request help from Gillibrand. Although you may  not get any results from them but my case moved when I contacted them. You could also contact the ombudsman ( I did that and nothing happened 🙁😞)

Just now, jack182 said:

Hey, thank you. I applied for my I-485 & I-360 at the same time. I got a RFE for medicals but no interview then I got the approval. My abuser is a usc.  I sent everything in 2018 and got approved for vawa in 2019. Your approval is coming hang in there ! I would suggest you to request help from Gillibrand. Although you may  not get any results from them but my case moved when I contacted them. You could also contact the ombudsman ( I did that and nothing happened 🙁😞)

when did you apply on 2018 and got approved in 2019?

On 9/30/2021 at 9:57 AM, shiva32 said:

Congratulations!! Please give us your timeline, @jack182. 

Hey, 

I did not hire a lawyer. 

applied for I-485 , I-360& I-765 - March 2018

RFE - birth certificate 

RFE - police report

received 3 prima facie

first EAD - July 2018

approval I-360 December 2019 - case was transferred to nbc shortly after 

RFE medicals 

No interview

I-485 September 2021- 

17 minutes ago, jack182 said:

God is good, thanks for replying! I am so happy for you!  I feel that my i485 approval is coming soon, at the moment queens is processing i485 from october 28 2018 and I sent my i485 on december 2018, ,  my vawa was approved on march 2020 and my abuser was usc, I already wrote to my congressman and uscis reply to her was that uscis is processing the cases in first come first serve basis, that if I needed to speed up the process for a paricluar emergency I could write a letter to the head officer at queens uscis office, so that request probably speeded up the times and I know my case is at queens office, I hope I will receive the good news in the following days, God is good

I feel so depressed right now , i sent in renewal for my EAD december 2020. when i was on my extension i had to ask my congressman for help, he responded back that they were backlogged and Vermont was approving EADs for September , back in june, i inquired again and he stated still on september approval by August i inquired again , still on september 2020 approvals. I explained i will face hardship as my employer has began to request for update on my EAD. The out of processing time will not let me submit a request until 09/28/2021 . Only after that did i see an update that it was assigned to an office to give a response why my EAD is taking very long. I sent in another request to my congressman again to inquire why it is taking this long. waiting on their response. My employer will ask me to stop on 10/17/2021and my driver license will expire at that time too.  which is not their fault and i do understand, no company wants to be penalized . This is so very frustrating and mentally draining. I cannot concentrate at work. 

my uscis account does not update , i just get correspondences in the mail on my cases. I have chatted with live agents , they only see what i see (old updates) and say it is a known issue and Uscis is working to fix it. I sent in rfe for medicals , the system does not update if it was received, i keep checking my uscis account as if my breath depends on it . i just wish the sytem can be a little faster for us all. 

1 minute ago, jack182 said:

Hey, 

I did not hire a lawyer. 

applied for I-485 , I-360& I-765 - March 2018

RFE - birth certificate 

RFE - police report

received 3 prima facie

first EAD - July 2018

approval I-360 December 2019 - case was transferred to nbc shortly after 

RFE medicals 

No interview

I-485 September 2021- 

took one year for i485??? y

5 minutes ago, jack182 said:

I don’t really know. I guess it is a mix of backlog in NYC then COVID hit . When it comes to NYC checking the timeline on the USCIS website is a waist of time …

im in nyc too damn 

31 minutes ago, jack182 said:

Hi can you tell me how long did it take to you to get the i485 approval after you sent the ref for medicals?

thanks for your best wishes, I am very happy for your approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.