ameise

Has anyone applied for a passport recently?

53 posts in this topic

Timeline
On 7/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, defeedme said:

to be honest i think they are wrong because the primary i.d. should be the certificate of naturalization and then the secondary I.D. should be the out-of-state drivers license. I think the passport acceptance clerk was clueless and nasty which sucks because now my wife's passport will have a different date than the rest of our kids. 

Heres the official request for ID

Notice the "In-state " for DL

But the CN should be enough

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

• Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents.

Applying Out of State

If you apply out of state, please present an additional ID. It should show as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth, and the document issuance date.

Edited by NEW CITIZEN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

unfortunately not every acceptance facility knows the rules and some clerks can try to make it difficult for you on purpose.. maybe they are on a power trip or just having a bad day.. so if you have a bad experience at one post office, just try another - maybe in a better, more affluent area - that's what we did and the experience couldn't be any more opposite.. oh and don't forget you CAN smile in your picture! 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:07 PM, NEW CITIZEN said:

Heres the official request for ID

Notice the "In-state " for DL

But the CN should be enough

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

• Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents.

Applying Out of State

If you apply out of state, please present an additional ID. It should show as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth, and the document issuance date.

This may be a silly question, though I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and I know most of you have already applied. But I noticed that there are hand-written passport applications in addition to ones generated by the passport wizard after filling out the info online. The latter application generates a barcode on the top left part of the first page. I'll post photos to illustrate the differences. My question is: do you think that sending out the application from the online wizard with the barcode makes processing it faster? I would think that the barcode contains all the info, which means they wouldn't have to type it by hand.
1095699645_ScreenShot2021-07-20at12_13_03PM.thumb.png.99d86eab8792dfe3ee51cc7e05cd7770.png473753728_ScreenShot2021-07-20at12_13_14PM.thumb.png.c652f0092f158042f4b41136310bf0b3.png

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 7/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, EternalForeigner said:

My question is: do you think that sending out the application from the online wizard with the barcode makes processing it faster?

It's actually easier for me to use the wizard as opposed to hand writing the application. In any case it should ensure that the correct information from your application is replicated to your passport. I have read at least one post where the passport had spelling errors from a handwritten application.

However I'm not sure if it would knock days off your processing time.  

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

10 minutes ago, El Escocés said:

It's actually easier for me to use the wizard as opposed to hand writing the application. In any case it should ensure that the correct information from your application is replicated to your passport. I have read at least one post where the passport had spelling errors from a handwritten application.

However I'm not sure if it would knock days off your processing time.  

Yeah I don’t think it makes it faster (if it does it is probably measured in minutes rather than days) but it definitely removes the risk of something going wrong with someone having to manually input from a handwritten form.

After how long do we get our supporting documents back?

I received my passport with typo in name 14 days back but still waiting for my certificate of naturalization back, so I can apply for a new passport to fix the typo. Any idea after how long people are getting back their certificate of naturalization from the passport agency once they receive the passport? My the passport was expedited.

• 11 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Greece
Timeline
On 7/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, LampPost said:

After how long do we get our supporting documents back?

I received my passport with typo in name 14 days back but still waiting for my certificate of naturalization back, so I can apply for a new passport to fix the typo. Any idea after how long people are getting back their certificate of naturalization from the passport agency once they receive the passport? My the passport was expedited.

I still haven't received back my original NC document after I applied for an expedited US passport and received it the same day back in November 2021. I needed the passport to fly overseas to see my sick grandma and the only available appointment was the same day as my flight at 12pm and my flight was at 11pm. And the funny thing is they couldn't tell me for sure if I would receive the passport before they close so there was a possibility that I spend all day there and miss my flight. Thankfully I received it about an hour before the passport center closed its doors so I headed straight to the airport and to my amazement I noticed that they didn't give me back my NC. It's outrageous that there is nobody on the phone to reach out and the only way to talk to somebody is by mailing a letter with your concern to VA which I did back in March and haven't received any response yet. The pace in which this once great nation is going down hill is truly chilling. More and more of our hard earned money are going to corrupted public employees to get crappy service in return.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

definitely use the barcode - but I 100% guarantee you the processing time depends on the post office or facility you use - for some unknown reason the Jericho Post office on Long Island, NY is the fastest Passport processing facility in the United States - literally you get your passport within 2 weeks, max a month without any expedited shipping. (And the experience is absolutely painless, easy, fast and a pleasure).. On the other hand, The Hicksville, NY post office , literally 1 mile away took 4 months for the exact same type of U.S. passport & card! and we went to both post offices within 3 days of each other.. (and the experience was horrible at Hicksville - took forever and the clerk was nasty! wouldn't even let us smile!!).

This may be a silly question, though I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and I know most of you have already applied. But I noticed that there are hand-written passport applications in addition to ones generated by the passport wizard after filling out the info online. The latter application generates a barcode on the top left part of the first page. I'll post photos to illustrate the differences. My question is: do you think that sending out the application from the online wizard with the barcode makes processing it faster? I would think that the barcode contains all the info, which means they wouldn't have to type it by hand.

Edited by defeedme

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.