Allaboutwaiting

Remodeling the kitchen

21 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, millefleur said:

It's definitely an issue. Knock on wood, so far I've been lucky with my contractors but my sister and one of my close friends have been scammed. It seems like there are a lot of dubious people out there who want to take advantage.

Absolutely! I know more horror stories than successful ones.

We don't want to end up needing more work done because a pseudo-contractor did a shoddy job.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know a bunch of people are knocking IKEA, but you might be surprised to find many high end kitchen designers tied to a budget often use IKEA cabinets (at least the boxes).  Why?  Because they are budget friendly, frameless, and the hardware IKEA uses is made by Blum, so you can pay the Blum price, or you can pay the IKEA price.  There are a number of places like Semihandmade which allow you to put custom fronts on the cabinets and make it look custom.  And a limited 25 year warranty - that doesn't happen many places!

My rental home for 18mo  while I was waiting the endless immigration wait had IKEA cabinets and I didn't even clue in until I was on hands and knees cleaning like 6mo in and noticed an IKEA logo on the side of a drawer. It was a beautiful little kitchen.  

My friends did a rip down to studs remodel of their kitchen about a year ago with IKEA cabinets and it turned out beautifully.  They are super hard on everything (3 kids, 2 teenaged boys and a tween girl and 2 dogs, the bad one thinking he needs to climb up on top of the counters!) and it still looks like new.  The cheap stools she bought to pull up to her peninsula - not so much.  She did pay for an architectural design consultation where they came up with 2 layouts.  The lady offered to do the remodel as the general contractor, all in for a WHOPPING $112,000 CAD!  My friend said hard pass. She GC'd the job herself, found a cabinet contractor to assemble the flat packs, modify one of the cabinets and install, electrical contractors and flooring contractors and ran the job.  They budgeted $55,000 CAD and managed to come in $5K under and that included extra electrical to run wiring for a hot tub and extra to lay LVT throughout the main floor.  She did have to run the useless tiler off the job when he tried to show up drunk, but she found an even better guy for slightly less money to replace the drunk, so it ended up being an annoying inconvenience that worked out positively.  

My 23 year old house has the original kitchen with the cabinet boxes made of MDF and the fronts of wood.  Without going custom, that's how an awful lot of cabinets are put together still to this day.  We just did a laundry room renovation and hung 6 IKEA refrigerator cabinets (we wanted the 24" depth), 2 of which we modified, to organize and hide our #######.  It turned out fantastic and I get a lot of complements...about a stupid laundry room, no less!  

So, be cautious of your contractors.  Choose wisely.  But, don't be afraid of IKEA cabinets as such, but do be cognizant of lead times on some of them when you are ready to pull the plug, if you go that route.  If you can aim your renovation so the weather is good and you can rely on outdoor appliances (BBQ, smoker, charcoal), definitely also helpful.  Or if you have a camper and are excluded from a lame HOA who complain if your camper is in your driveway, pull it up and use as your kitchen quarters.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 12/7/2021 at 12:22 PM, mam521 said:

I know a bunch of people are knocking IKEA, but you might be surprised to find many high end kitchen designers tied to a budget often use IKEA cabinets (at least the boxes). 

My sister had to bail on IKEA for kitchen cabinets. It was her first choice but due to Covid, they were not even letting people come into the store or look at anything in person. Getting appointments was impossible due to "Covid risk." IKEA has also been having major supply issues lately. Fully agree that IKEA is great but Covid has really thrown a wrench into their operations.

I really, really wanted to buy this one sleeper couch for IKEA but after going back to the store multiple times over a period of about 4 months and every time being told "we don't know when it will be back in stock," I had to ditch IKEA and buy a couch elsewhere. Love IKEA but I really, really hope one day things will go back to normal there.

General advice with contractors is: never give anyone a check up front. That's how my sister got scammed. In some states, contractors are in short supply right now and there are a bunch of scammers trying to take advantage of desperate home owners.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Supply chain is an issue all over the place, irrespective of store. But, IKEA is having some issues for sure. That said, the Sektion boxes are made in the US, so it could also be a labour issue, too. In our case, it’s a compounded issue of a really crappy managed Houston IKEA store.  It’s literally easier to go to Frisco and buy things. Seems nothing makes it south of Dallas! 

General rule is never to pay fully up front, look for insured contractors and know whether or not you need permits. Lots of scammers out there!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been building custom cabinets for over 40 years, started when I was 20...

Pre-fab cabinetry like IKEA or other brands found at Home Depot may look nice, but the quality and fit can never compare to custom made cabinetry.