Bieloanya

Biometrics appointment... Twice?!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi guys!
I applied for green card in August 2020 (marriage to US) and currently I still have nothing, no work permit or AP.

I already gave my biometrics on March 8th 2021 - apparently it was for the I-485 application only and now the status is "waiting to schedule for an interview" or something like that.

As for the EAD + AP no news yet!
I just got a letter saying that I should give my biometrics once again on May 28th, 2021, but it mentions only the i-765 form (the work permit).

Do i have to expect to receive a third appointment for the AP (form i-131)?

And also, what if I simply went to the field office asking if I can gave my biometrics as a walk in as I already gave them (taking the appointment notice with me, showing that I actually have an appointment in the future)? Did anybody do that and was successful?

I have a difficult family situation in my home country and I would really be happy if I could avoid waiting 3 more weeks to give my biometrics as I already gave them, not to mention that I sent my application almost a year ago and I currently am still in a limbo where I basically have nothing (can't work, travel, drive, etc.) 

Thank you all!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Bieloanya said:

Hi guys!
I applied for green card in August 2020 (marriage to US) and currently I still have nothing, no work permit or AP.

I already gave my biometrics on March 8th 2021 - apparently it was for the I-485 application only and now the status is "waiting to schedule for an interview" or something like that.

I just got a letter saying that I should give my biometrics once again on May 28th, 2021, but it mentions only the i-765 form (the work permit).

And also, what if I simply went to the field office asking if I can gave my biometrics as a walk in as I already gave them (taking the appointment notice with me, showing that I actually have an appointment in the future)? Did anybody do that and was successful?

I have a difficult family situation in my home country and I would really be happy if I could avoid waiting 3 more weeks to give my biometrics as I already gave them, not to mention that I sent my application almost a year ago and I currently am still in a limbo where I basically have nothing (can't work, travel, drive, etc.) 

Thank you all!!

I131 for AP doesn't require biometrics 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

To  answer the topic question ,  yes

for every stage of this process the fingerprints are taken and checked against former prints

including when you apply for naturalization

and not being able to work,  travel back home and get the SS # and driving licence is the problem with a K1

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Bieloanya said:

Hi guys!

Thank you all!!

I am in California, Sacramento and my processing center is National Benefits Center. I didn't have a K1 visa, I was in the country on ESTA 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Bieloanya said:

I am in California, Sacramento and my processing center is National Benefits Center. I didn't have a K1 visa, I was in the country on ESTA 

Almost all i485,i765, i131 start at NBC regardless of where you live 

YMMV

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Bieloanya said:

the  process to AOS is about the same

6 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

To  answer the topic question ,  yes

for every stage of this process the fingerprints are taken and checked against former prints

including when you apply for naturalization

and not being able to work,  travel back home and get the SS # and driving licence is the problem with a K1

When my husband applied for ROC, they used his old prints from AOS. So, they don’t always take fingerprints. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, Diane and Chris said:

When my husband applied for ROC, they used his old prints from AOS. So, they don’t always take fingerprints. 

ROC is a lot different as you are presenting a US green card with a photo for ID but even then the naturiaztion requires biometrics 

and you being from no fraud country makes a difference 

7 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

ROC is a lot different as you are presenting a US green card with a photo for ID but even then the naturiaztion requires biometrics 

and you being from no fraud country makes a difference 

Agreed. I wasn’t arguing, just putting out information that we and many others have experienced. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
22 hours ago, Bieloanya said:

Hi guys!

I have a difficult family situation in my home country and I would really be happy if I could avoid waiting 3 more weeks to give my biometrics as I already gave them, not to mention that I sent my application almost a year ago and I currently am still in a limbo where I basically have nothing (can't work, travel, drive, etc.

Thank you all!!

You do understand that you cannot leave without AP, right? So you have to sit tight or else you will have to restart the whole process, this time while waiting outside the country.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

Hi Timona! 

Yeah, thanks, I do understand! I've been patiently waiting since last summer. Even when my father had a cerebral stroke and last month when two family members died. 

I'm here, in California, patiently waiting for USCIS to issue a travel permit. 

I am really frustrated as it usually takes about 4-5 months since the date of application and I have been waiting 11 months almost. 

I wish things could go a little faster :(

13 minutes ago, Timona said:

You do understand that you cannot leave without AP, right? So you have to sit tight or else you will have to restart the whole process, this time while waiting outside the country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Bieloanya said:

Hi Timona! 

Yeah, thanks, I do understand! I've been patiently waiting since last summer. Even when my father had a cerebral stroke and last month when two family members died. 

I'm here, in California, patiently waiting for USCIS to issue a travel permit. 

I am really frustrated as it usually takes about 4-5 months since the date of application and I have been waiting 11 months almost. 

I wish things could go a little faster :(

Timeline changed due to COVID. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

Thank you all for your replies!! So here are some updates from me, as in the end I decided to go to the ASC this morning (May 10th) and see weather they would allow me to give my biometrics even if my appointment was for the 28th.

Well... They did!
There was literally nobody, not a single person waiting to do the biometrics... I don't understand why they give appointment so far away in time if their facilities are everything but busy.

Anyway, the receptionist was pretty huffy with me, acting as if I were annoying her.
She had to talk to the manager, who agreed to see me.
He checked my identity, asked me a couple of questions, including why I wanted to give the biometrics earlier than the appointment day and in the end approved to process them today.

They took my picture again and took only my right index fingerprint (they took a Pic of me and took all 10 my fingerprints back in March, when I gave my biometrics for the i-485 application) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.