ctruesmith

Department of State Sent Case to USCIS For Review

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

Hello all,

We received our NOA2 from USCIS on March 11th 2021, on April 15th we got notification from the NVC that our case was returned to USCIS after we had sent an inquiry about our case a couple weeks prior. No information as to why it was returned to USCIS. On April 22nd 2021 USCIS received the case and the current status says "Department of State Sent Case to USCIS For Review". We immediately sent an inquiry but have not heard back. Does anyone have any idea why the case would be sent back to USCIS? Would that indicate an issue with our case? Something we did or something USCIS got wrong? We would appreciate any insight if anyone has experienced something similar.

Thanks,

Colin 

It happens sometimes. It could be one of two things: a) the USCIS made a technical mistake (didn't put a right stamp on it or something like that) and once they fix it, it'll be sent back to NVC or b) NVC found something that was missing in the petition. Last time I saw this happened, it was a missing divorce decree. USCIS missed it but NVC caught it. So once USCIS received  the petition back from NVC, they sent an RFE. It's hard to say what it is until they actually tell you. 

• 1 year later...
Timeline
On 5/7/2022 at 10:28 PM, Kwabena5 said:

Hey I ended up getting the same thing did you ever get an update on what was wrong? And if so how long did it take?

Hey I am really sorry to hear that, we know how frustrating that is. We never learned the reason that it was recalled. We ended up contacting senators and representatives to assist. They weren't able to gather much more information as to why, but when our case did end up back in Panama we found out through one of the senators. Never heard from the embassy in Panama the second time it arrived there. I even called the USCIS and spoke with a Tier 2 officer who still would not reveal any information as to why the case was recalled. It was a very frustrating delay but we eventually were approved April 7th 2022 and are getting married next weekend. We wish you luck and if you have any other questions, reach out to us. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
On 10/8/2022 at 4:23 AM, Jessica and Umar said:

Hello, this same situation happened to me. How did yours end up?

Hi

Nvc sent our petition back to uscis,  13 sep.  We had no idea,  will be calling uscis this week and see what we can find out

Timeline
On 10/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, Jessica and Umar said:

Hello, this same situation happened to me. How did yours end up?

Hi, eventually our K1 was approved, but it took 2 years. Every month we were contacting USCIS or NVC to get an answer, as we mentioned before, we contacted senators from the state I live, eventually the case was in Panama (no notification from USCIS, the embassy sent us an email with the next steps). My recommendation is to contact as much as you can to everyone, even the embassy. It's exhausting but I think if you wait for  a notification, it might take even longer. I met someone that their case was sitting in the embassy for 2 weeks and they never got the notification until they called the embassy to ask for it. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Dale. said:

Hi

Nvc sent our petition back to uscis,  13 sep.  We had no idea,  will be calling uscis this week and see what we can find out

It's the best to do, it's exhausting for us, it's annoying for them to answer multiple phone calls asking the same, but we need to push as much as we can to find out answers or solutions. Don't wait for notifications on their website, they do not update that every time, we got married and live together now, and the USCIS website for the K1 visa, still said that NVC "has the case".

8 hours ago, Dale. said:

Hi

Didn’t your case have the added element of  AWA type criminal record for the petitioner, though?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Didn’t your case have the added element of  AWA type criminal record for the petitioner, though?

No it turns out it wasn't AWA type criminal element,  the background checks took awhile but we were approved.

On 10/15/2022 at 7:31 PM, ctruesmith said:

Hi, eventually our K1 was approved, but it took 2 years. Every month we were contacting USCIS or NVC to get an answer, as we mentioned before, we contacted senators from the state I live, eventually the case was in Panama (no notification from USCIS, the embassy sent us an email with the next steps). My recommendation is to contact as much as you can to everyone, even the embassy. It's exhausting but I think if you wait for  a notification, it might take even longer. I met someone that their case was sitting in the embassy for 2 weeks and they never got the notification until they called the embassy to ask for it. 

Thanks for the response. I will follow your advice. I've already called USCIS (person on phone cannot give me an answer as to why our case was sent back); and I've corresponded with NVC via email (NVC confirms they sent back the case on Sept 5). My senator's office submitted an inquiry to USCIS last week, hoping that can provide more information. 

Its so frustrating, using the online case tracker, as I was able to identify 12 cases with the same NOA1 date and similar approval dates (NOA2) - all cases approved within a week (from July 27 - August 4)- all sent back to USCIS for review on the same day (Sept 5). This makes me believe it may be some sort of error when USCIS sent our batch of cases to NVC? Or USCIS forgot to check something with our cases? It doesn't make sense!  

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

We had a similar thing happen to us 

18/07 - NOA2 approved

24/08 - Case was sent back to USCIS

15/09 - Case was reaffirmed and sent back to NVC

25/10 - NVC number issued and case sent to embassy. 

Very odd that this has been happening to lots of people. Our lawyer could offer no explanation, other than potentially a clerical error at the USCIS end. Bizarre.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.