Nele

Canadian Adult Child To Reunite With Parent In US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well!

My friend is 33 years old, unmarried, living in Canada and would like to join their family who live in Nevada, USA.

Their mother is a US citizen who will be the petitioner. Before the process starts, a lot of questions came up, so I offered to help and ask them here:

- Once their mother sends in the petition, can the adult child still travel back and forth between the US and Canada for family visits while they wait on the decision?

- Should my friend be in Canada once a decision is made on their mother's petition? Or could it be okay to continue filing in the US via the Canadian embassy? (I'm assuming it's best to do it in Canada but they were wondering so I'm passing the Q along)

- What is the current timeline from start to completion? I heard it can take years before a decision is even made on the initial petition from the parent.

- Any tips or shared experiences are welcome!

Thanks so much!

All my best

03/02/2015: filed I-129F at the USCIS Texas

03/13/2015: received confirmation (Form I-797), file will now get routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing. We wait :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

USC mother files an I-130 petition with USCIS to start the immigration process.  This would be an F1 family preference case where the current wait is 7 years for an immigration benefit.  If your friend gets marry during the wait, it would change to an F3 case where the wait is 13 years for an immigration benefit.

Once mom files the I-130, your friend can travel between the US and Canada.  Your friend can visit the US.  Your friend can't live here during the wait for an immigration benefit.

When your friend is eligible for an immigration benefit, your friend will interview for an immigration visa in Canada.

VJ has Guides.  Your friend should read the one for a USC parent petitioning an unmarried child. over age 21.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Nele said:

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well!

My friend is 33 years old, unmarried, living in Canada and would like to join their family who live in Nevada, USA.

Their mother is a US citizen who will be the petitioner. Before the process starts, a lot of questions came up, so I offered to help and ask them here:

- Once their mother sends in the petition, can the adult child still travel back and forth between the US and Canada for family visits while they wait on the decision?

- Should my friend be in Canada once a decision is made on their mother's petition? Or could it be okay to continue filing in the US via the Canadian embassy? (I'm assuming it's best to do it in Canada but they were wondering so I'm passing the Q along)

- What is the current timeline from start to completion? I heard it can take years before a decision is even made on the initial petition from the parent.

- Any tips or shared experiences are welcome!

Thanks so much!

All my best

Yes, visiting while the process is ongoing is possible.  The process (visa interview) will wrap up in Canada at the US Consulate, there are no visa interviews in the US.  Not really certain about the timelines, but if your friend marries while the process is ongoing, it will change the visa class and lengthen the time.  One other suggestion, your friend should start their own account here as first hand questions are generally better.

Good Luck to your friend.

Edited by Dashinka

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

USC mother files an I-130 petition with USCIS to start the immigration process.  This would be an F1 family preference case where the current wait is 7 years for an immigration benefit.  If your friend gets marry during the wait, it would change to an F3 case where the wait is 13 years for an immigration benefit.

Once mom files the I-130, your friend can travel between the US and Canada.  Your friend can visit the US.  Your friend can't live here during the wait for an immigration benefit.

7 years? LOL that is WILD.

Has it always been that long or is this with all the current Covid restrictions?

Lord Jesus, why do they have to make everything so lengthy.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!!!

03/02/2015: filed I-129F at the USCIS Texas

03/13/2015: received confirmation (Form I-797), file will now get routed to the USCIS California Service Center for processing. We wait :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nele said:

Has it always been that long or is this with all the current Covid restrictions?

It is not really Covid related, but rather due to quotas on various visa classes.  F1 is current for those that filed in 2014, if your friend get married they would change to F3 and that wait time is more like 13-14 years.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, Nele said:

For example, seeing as you (or is it your spouse?) are from Belgium you may find this interesting - adult children can only immigrate as family  members if they are disabled (and parents only if the Belgian is a minor).

You can apply for family reunification if you have a right to stay in Belgium for more than three months or a permanent resident status.

The following persons are considered to be family members:

• your spouse or registered partner (equivalent to marriage) or your legal partner within a duly attested and stable relationship for at least one year. Both you and your spouse, fiancé or partner must be over the age of 21;
  • your minor children who are unmarried;
  • your adult children, who are unmarried and who are disabled;
  • your parents (only if you are an unaccompanied minor and have been granted international protection).

As a sponsor, you need to fulfil certain conditions (means of subsistence, health insurance, accommodation, living under the same roof, etc.). Some categories (for example persons who have been granted refugee status less than 1 year ago) are exempted from some of these conditions.

If you and your family members fulfil the conditions, your family members will be issued a residence permit and a long stay visa type D.

https://ec.europa.eu/immigration/country-specific-information/belgium/family-member_en

Yup, pretty wild who the US allows you to sponsor. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.