LenaR

What to do with old documents once you become citizen?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everybody!

As lines finally started moving I finally got my citizenship interview and finally passed it! Got certificate, applied for passport, overall smooth sailing.

BUT! What do I do now with my Ukrainian passport now that I'm waiting for US passport? I assume I need to update records in some way ? send it back? No idea what to do and can't seem to find any information on consulate site (it isn't made in a best way).

So I was hoping anyone who went through similar step can advise me either what to do, or at least where to address my question.

Thank you so much in advance! 

I've always joked with my wife that when she is finally done with her naturalization, we are going to have one of the biggest bonfires and BBQ in our city courtesy of her immigration documents.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
40 minutes ago, LenaR said:

Hello everybody!

As lines finally started moving I finally got my citizenship interview and finally passed it! Got certificate, applied for passport, overall smooth sailing.

BUT! What do I do now with my Ukrainian passport now that I'm waiting for US passport? I assume I need to update records in some way ? send it back? No idea what to do and can't seem to find any information on consulate site (it isn't made in a best way).

So I was hoping anyone who went through similar step can advise me either what to do, or at least where to address my question.

You have to check with Ukraine embassy about it. Some countries allow dual citizenship, some don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, LenaR said:

Hello everybody!

Not sure why would you want to send your Ukrainian passport anywhere...

If you mean a renounce of  your Ukr. citizenship by that, then it's not how it works.  It's long and exhausting process  in Ukraine and  turning in your passport doesn't make the process complete.  I know just one person. ONE, who went through the entire process and he says if he knew how bad it would be, he wouldn't even tried. 

USA doesn't care, as long as you leave and enter the country as US citizen. 

As of now Ukraine doesn't recognize a dual citizenship, but there is no "punishment" for having more than one either.

Now, Parliament is working on recognizing multiple citizenship since apparently a half of the country (at least)  possesses more than one anyway. 

I keep mine. And use it when enter/exit Ukraine . Was actually quite  beneficial during Covid lockdown when "foreigners" weren't allowed in. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Not sure why would you want to send your Ukrainian passport anywhere...

If you mean a renounce of  your Ukr. citizenship by that, then it's not how it works.  It's long and exhausting process  in Ukraine and  turning in your passport doesn't make the process complete.  I know just one person. ONE, who went through the entire process and he says if he knew how bad it would be, he wouldn't even tried. 

USA doesn't care, as long as you leave and enter the country as US citizen. 

As of now Ukraine doesn't recognize a dual citizenship, but there is no "punishment" for having more than one either.

Now, Parliament is working on recognizing multiple citizenship since apparently a half of the country (at least)  possesses more than one anyway. 

I keep mine. And use it when enter/exit Ukraine . Was actually quite  beneficial during Covid lockdown when "foreigners" weren't allowed in. 

Oh!

I think that's pretty much the info I was looking for. I don't have a particular desire to renounce it or anything. I just wasn't sure if I had to notify anyone that I got a US one.

Similar how to one has to update family records once get married overseas. Just felt like the kind of thing I had to report somewhere so not get some weird fine for not doing it haha.

And that thought occurred mainly after all these years of being vetted left and right during immigration and the overall phrasing that Ukraine doesn't have dual citizenship.

So great to know I don't HAVE to renounce anything. I would very much love to keep mine 😃  Just wanted to not have any trouble later on.

Thank you so much for your reply!!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 minutes ago, LenaR said:

Oh!

I think that's pretty much the info I was looking for. I don't have a particular desire to renounce it or anything. I just wasn't sure if I had to notify anyone that I got a US one.

Similar how to one has to update family records once get married overseas. Just felt like the kind of thing I had to report somewhere so not get some weird fine for not doing it haha.

And that thought occurred mainly after all these years of being vetted left and right during immigration and the overall phrasing that Ukraine doesn't have dual citizenship.

So great to know I don't HAVE to renounce anything. I would very much love to keep mine 😃  Just wanted to not have any trouble later on.

Thank you so much for your reply!!! 

There are no troubles, really :)

Use US passport to leave and enter the US.

Outside of the US - your choice, whatever benefits you the most. 

Congrats on your citizenship !! - your immigration journey is almost over:) :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My Swedish passport is just as valuable and valid as always, I'll keep using it for trips to Europe. Will be travelling with two passports from now on.

I have been collecting soooo many immigration related documents throughout the years and couldn't wait to get rid of them, they took up an insane amount of space. I got rid of every piece of "evidence of bonafide marriage" other than a few originals (like all the bank statements, we keep those for years). That alone made a huge difference, cut the pile with at least 3/4. 

I kept every single correspondence from USCIS, NVC and embassy (receipt notices, biometrics notices, approval notices, confirmation notices etc). Anything that seems "important", even if I'll never ever have any use for them again (it's also nice to keep as a memory, yes I'm that crazy). Will scan when I have the time and energy.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.