ilikepotatoes

Proving a bonafide relationship with limited time together

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, ilikepotatoes said:

So with the K-1 we wouldn’t have to submit proof of a bonafide relationship until after he comes here and we marry? What does the 129F entail? 

There will need to be some evidence of a bonafide relationship, but not at the level of a marriage. You get a K-1 by first filing a I-129F, which is pretty easy. Just submit proof that you met in person at least once within the 2 years of the time you file the I-129F. Once that is approved, your fiance will need be interviewed at the embassy. At that time you will show evidence of an ongoing relationship up to that time. That can be samples of chat logs, proof of visits, etc. The standard that is applied depends on the level of visa fraud in the country the fiance is emigrating from. There will also need to be the usual collection of original birth certificates, background checks, etc.

The downside of the K-1 is that once the fiance arrives in the US, they are not authorized to work or to leave and re-enter the US until completing a process that takes many months. After that is when you need to prove that the marriage is bonafide.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
13 minutes ago, JonSeattle said:

There will need to be some evidence of a bonafide relationship, but not at the level of a marriage. You get a K-1 by first filing a I-129F, which is pretty easy. Just submit proof that you met in person at least once within the 2 years of the time you file the I-129F. Once that is approved, your fiance will need be interviewed at the embassy. At that time you will show evidence of an ongoing relationship up to that time. That can be samples of chat logs, proof of visits, etc. The standard that is applied depends on the level of visa fraud in the country the fiance is emigrating from. There will also need to be the usual collection of original birth certificates, background checks, etc.

The downside of the K-1 is that once the fiance arrives in the US, they are not authorized to work or to leave and re-enter the US until completing a process that takes many months. After that is when you need to prove that the marriage is bonafide.

You also need to submit proof of intent to marry within the 90 days, which can be a signed statement from each of you. If you’ve already started to make arrangements (invitations, venue, price quotes, etc), you can submit evidence of that as well. 

38 minutes ago, JonSeattle said:

Thank you for this info! Definitely something to consider. Just have to take it one step at a time! 

On 3/27/2021 at 4:04 PM, ilikepotatoes said:

We want to be married because we don’t know when the next time we will be able to see each other again will be. The other issue is because I have my father at home who needs care. He’s a high fracture risk, and has other ailments as well. This year alone he’s broken multiple bones. The reason I’m able to travel now, is because a family friend is kind enough to help out this time around; but he can’t always, as he has a family of his own. 

What are other forms of evidence that we can submit? We aren’t concerned about how our relationship “looks,” it’s just I’ve heard other people talk about having much time in person, and I’m concerned about that issue with us. Thanks for answering! 

For the spousal visa, when he goes to the US Embassy for his interview they will ask him all kinds of questions about your relationship, and questions about you to see how well he knows you.

my wife and I video chat every day and we take lots of screenshots showing us communicating every day.

You can also save transcripts of your conversations and any letters that you may have written.

•The first time I went to see My wife in the Philippines I had known her for about 10 weeks.

That first visit was for two months.

•I came back to the United States, and then returned for a second visit which I stayed three months. In the middle of that three month visit we got married.

• after returning back to the United States for four months, I return for a third visit in March 2020 for what was supposed to be a two month visit. Due to the darn coronavirus I was stranded there for 6 1/2 months.

it was fine with us because we got to spend more time together, and I am retired so it didn’t interfere with any job.

I have been back home in the United States now for almost 7 months, and we miss each other dearly.

The NVC asked for another copy of my divorce paper, and we are holding off on sending it in right at this minute, because as soon as we submit it we Will be put in line for an interview appointment for my wife.

She’s nervous and wants me to travel to Manila with her for the interview so we’re waiting to submit that last paper until restrictions are lifted so I can make sure that I will be able to travel there whenever we find out when her interview is.

Just document everything.And make sure you know everything about each other. Birthdays, likes and dislikes, family members names, etc.

good luck!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The difference between a K1 interview and a CR1 interview will vary by Consulate.  The Consular Officer must still determine there is a bona fide relationship based on similar evidence.  There's nothing WRONG with marrying on the first visit.  For some, the fiance visa route is untenable because of the long period of no work and no international travel after using the K1 visa.  Lots to consider here.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.